Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

500mm Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've been quite happy with the performance of my Tamron 55B 500mm mirror, but you know how it is. Sometimes you find yourself wanting more? More! More, I say! It can be a powerful compulsion.

So anyway, I was at eBay, watching the seconds tick down on a Vivitar S1 800mm f/11 Solid Cat. I was kinda interested cuz the price was still low. It had been sitting at $260 for a while -- couple of days, I guess. But you know how auctions can get over there. The price stayed at $260 as the seconds ticked down to under a minute, and I was getting mildly interested. But still, I knew how these things could go over there.

Besides, I rationalized, if I added my Tamron dedicated 1.4x teleconverter to the back of my 55BB, I'd have a 750mm f/11 -- or so. Close enough to 800mm and it wouldn't cost me a dime.

So with my buying urge temporarily quenched, I just decided to watch for a change. The bidding got down to 17 seconds and suddenly the price jumps from $260 to $405. Whoah!, well that put me out of the running even if I would have wanted to bid. Then it gets down to 7 seconds and the price jumps again -- up to $456. Well above what these lenses typically go for on eBay. But then it was an auction and sanity doesn't always rule at an auction. Heh, sometimes it's nowhere to be found.

I think I'll go play around with my Tamron stuff now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a sigma XQ 500mm f4 on ebay for people looking for a really fast 500mm mirror lens:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fast-Sigma-XQ-500mm-f4-Ultra-Telephoto-Mirror-Lens-Pentax-Olympus-Nikon-Exakta/323301285521?hash=item4b46421e91:g:E8AAAOSw-0RbInR4

I know nothing of this seller or this lens just thought I would link it for interested parties. By the way anybody know anything about this lens?