Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

500mm Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Like Dog Like 1 Friends

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
woodrim wrote:
The lens is Spiratone Minitel-M, the later version with macro and serial number starting with 81, and without the tripod mount. There is an interesting read here: http://www.subclub.org/Tomioka.pdf

Very interresting read, thank you for sharing it. I wonder whether the 300mm Spiratone Minitel-S was made by Tomioka too...

Cheers!

Abbazz

Hmm, just got one, hazy on the rear lens group, but easy to clean. Some idio.. err "less knowledgeable person" had
jammed a T-mount ring on the M42 rear mount, removed that and it seems to do well now. It is the version with macro focusing down to 1.7 meters, also serial no 81xxxx. Will take it for a walk soon...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hmm, just got one, hazy on the rear lens group, but easy to clean. Some idio.. err "less knowledgeable person" had
jammed a T-mount ring on the M42 rear mount, removed that and it seems to do well now. It is the version with macro focusing down to 1.7 meters, also serial no 81xxxx. Will take it for a walk soon...

Did you get the 300 or the 500mm Spiratone reflector?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 8/500mm Minitel-M Pluracoat with T-mount I got with "macro" focusing ability.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Abbazz wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 8/500mm Minitel-M Pluracoat with T-mount I got with "macro" focusing ability.

I'll be curious how well you fo with it, Klaus. Remember, focus is critical. I don't recall which mirrors you have to compare to but if you have any of the good ones, you will see a difference when enlarging the image. My post was not intended to be a promotion of the Spiratone but if others can get the same results, they can have some cheap fun. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Abbazz wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Cheers!

Abbazz

I'll be curious how well you fo with it, Klaus. Remember, focus is critical. I don't recall which mirrors you have to compare to but if you have any of the good ones, you will see a difference when enlarging the image. My post was not intended to be a promotion of the Spiratone but if others can get the same results, they can have some cheap fun. Good luck.

Yes, I know. I don't have many mirrors, a few very special ones for UV photography, but none of the very good and expensive ones like the Mirotar etc.

I'll test it soon and we'll see...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday, I will be using the Rubinar 5.6/500 at the swamp. This picture is a sunset walk along the swamp's edge. Maksutov
3M-6A 6.3/500

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful picture!

In capable hands, mirror lenses are definitely capable of delivering superb pictures with an unmistakable mood. Of course their definition is not on par with modern refractor lenses and their bokeh can be weird sometimes, but they certainly don't lack character. Thank you for having proved it again and again in this thread.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Beautiful picture!

In capable hands, mirror lenses are definitely capable of delivering superb pictures with an unmistakable mood. Of course their definition is not on par with modern refractor lenses and their bokeh can be weird sometimes, but they certainly don't lack character. Thank you for having proved it again and again in this thread.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Thank you, Abbazz. It is that character that hooked me along with the challenge of using these lenses. I was all about sharpness until I discovered that some great overall image character came more from lenses that gave up some sharpness. My love for Meyer glass was first and still is, but I have really connected with a few of the high-quality mirrors. I don't compare sharpness with refractors because mirrors are to be appreciated for what they offer and accepted for what they don't. A properly focused mirror image is more than satisfactory. The donut bokeh will remain the greatest challenge and I do give consideration to backgrounds whenever possible. I have learned how to minimize the donut effect. Thank you again for your comments. I sure hope the Rubinar lives up to the big Mak.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as sharp as I would expect. Is there some mitigating factor - some slight camera shake or imperfect focus on the bird? Or is that how sharp that lens is?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ut oh. My new Rubinar 5.6/500 has astigmatism.[/img]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It's not as sharp as I would expect. Is there some mitigating factor - some slight camera shake or imperfect focus on the bird? Or is that how sharp that lens is?

The shot is @ 500mm, f/6.3. If Woodrim is on a full frame sensor, with a shot this close, the focal plane is less than (really need subject distance to get precise) 6 inches--not nearly enough to place a subject like this (blue Heron) entirely in the focal plane. Also, nailing focus with these lenses is beyond my ability to describe--you have to try it. To answer your question more succinctly: the lens is much sharper than you suspect. This is supported by other images. But Woodrim is describing something beyond sharpness--read his comments subsequent to this shot. JT

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rubinar astigmatism problem has been corrected as I reported in the thread by that name. When I received the lens, hand delivered by my Polish friend who visited, on Sunday, we went to my favorite swamp to try it out. I had so anticipated a very good lens that I left my big Maksutov at home. I was immediately bummed by the problem with focusing but had my $12 Spiratone with me to save the day. I've said before that it isn't as sharp as the Maksutov but it does amaze me with how well it does if I get the focus right. These images, all cropped, are all from the Spiratone 8/500 and A7 II. I'm wondering how Klaus has done with his.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those results look like they came from a 12 dollar lens, not good at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spiratone 8/500 don't look good to me too. Even with a good 500/8 mirror lens, there should be enough light for the lens to shows its potential.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some of my first Rubinar 5.6/500 images after correcting the tight screw issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's an AF lens, but I think it's worth sneaking the Minolta AF Reflex 500/8 into the thread while nobody is looking...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the mirrorless? I would like to see more from that lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

It was a pain to use, like all Minolta AF lenses, the focus ring is a last resort - no damping and the throw is too short for a lens that requires super accurate focussing. I have no plans to use it again! I took a few shots with the Minolta film camera as an AF lens, hopefully some of the shots will work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Here we go on mirrorless:

Example pictures shot this morning on my new A7R2 42MP/FF camera. Minolta Reflex 500/8 adapted with Sony LA-EA4 which maintains AF functionality on the mirrorless as well.

Each picture is followed by a 100% crop. Clickable for best quality viewing.

#1 crop

#2 crop

#3 (distance apprx. 400 m)

#3 crop

This lens is very capable, even on high resolution FF camera. However, the usage of a tripod is highly recommended. My first test series shot handheld even with anti shake enabled didn't reach the same sharpness of the shown pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
woodrim wrote:

It was a pain to use, like all Minolta AF lenses, the focus ring is a last resort - no damping and the throw is too short for a lens that requires super accurate focussing. I have no plans to use it again! I took a few shots with the Minolta film camera as an AF lens, hopefully some of the shots will work.

i quite like the Minolta Simon. I have used it on Fuji X-E1 with an adapter and the results pleased me.
The Fuji has a focus assist magnifier in the viewfinder to help get the focus right.
Here are a couple
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Tom!! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
These are some of my first Rubinar 5.6/500 images after correcting the tight screw issue.

Excellent work--these look great. I really like the rendering too. Of course, it doesn't hurt your cause that there seems to be no shortage of great birding opportunities where you are. I've got to get out with my 500 Tamron--soon! Best jt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:
woodrim wrote:

i quite like the Minolta Simon. I have used it on Fuji X-E1 with an adapter and the results pleased me.
The Fuji has a focus assist magnifier in the viewfinder to help get the focus right.
Here are a couple
Tom

Tom, these are mighty fine indeed. I'd been reading/hearing good things about Minolta's mirror for some time: you hit a home run for it here. jt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Here we go on mirrorless:

Example pictures shot this morning on my new A7R2 42MP/FF camera. Minolta Reflex 500/8 adapted with Sony LA-EA4 which maintains AF functionality on the mirrorless as well.

Each picture is followed by a 100% crop. Clickable for best quality viewing.

This lens is very capable, even on high resolution FF camera. However, the usage of a tripod is highly recommended. My first test series shot handheld even with anti shake enabled didn't reach the same sharpness of the shown pictures.

Wow, 500mm, AF & 42mp in a setup this light--impressive for sure! That must be a sweet birder lens, eh? jt