Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

500mm Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: 500mm Mirror Lenses Reply with quote

This is a sister thread to the 300mm mirror lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/300mm-mirror-lenses-t77672.html

I'll start off with some images from my Maksutov (MTO) 3M-6A, a Russian made 500mm f/6.3 mirror. I have two others that I will follow with, a Rubinar 5.6/500 and a $12 special. The Rubinar is not yet in my hands.

3M-6A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one sharp lens. Cristal clear eyes.
Tripod?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
That's one sharp lens. Cristal clear eyes.
Tripod?

Monopod and an excellent focusing Sony A7 II.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Samyang (Opteka) 500mm f/6.3 & a Rioch XR 600mm f/8 (which I hope is close enough to 500 to count)
Most often these days they get use with MFT via a focal reducer, the 2x crop is a bit excessive otherwise.
Not many shots to hand but here's one taken with a full spectrum camera (the 600 with a focal reducer)
FS test - Reflex + focal reducer by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

One in Infra red through the 600 without a reducer on MFT
Gaff Ketch 'Betty Alan' by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

and a much older one with a Centon 500mm/f8 (now sold) on APSC.
BSB Brands Hatch 1 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 500mm Mirror Lenses Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
This is a sister thread to the 300mm mirror lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/300mm-mirror-lenses-t77672.html

I'll start off with some images from my Maksutov (MTO) 3M-6A, a Russian made 500mm f/6.3 mirror. I have two others that I will follow with, a Rubinar 5.6/500 and a $12 special. The Rubinar is not yet in my hands.

3M-6A

Like Dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pictures woodrim,
I had Rubinar 500/8 and Tokina 500/8 in the past, now I have Minolta RF Rokkor 500/8
here recent shots with Rokkor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Very nice...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta RF 500mm/F8 on Ricoh GXR-M APS-C:

100% crop:

Also available as Leitz Telyt-R 500mm/F8 for the Leica-R SLR.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some beautiful images posted here.
Thank you all.
I have a Minolta AF Reflex 500mm f8, but I can only use it manually.
Here are some images from it.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Thomas, Suat, and Thomas. I'm very interested in hearing your assessments when you've had opportunities to use more than one mirror. Suat is someone that might do that.

I'd also like to make some apples to apples comparisons, especially with the Minolta versions and my Maksutov.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several mirrors but my techniqis obviously lacking. you guys are taking some marvellous images!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta RF Rokkor 500mm F8@A7R II

Click to see 100% crop. There are some rooms for further sharpen in post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thank you, Thomas, Suat, and Thomas. I'm very interested in hearing your assessments when you've had opportunities to use more than one mirror. Suat is someone that might do that.

I'd also like to make some apples to apples comparisons, especially with the Minolta versions and my Maksutov.

I'm still somehow uncertain whether I like mirror lenses or not. Although the Minolta/Leitz is known to be one of the best it's very difficult to handle; i.e. to focus correctly. Therefore I'm still thinking about the AF version (Minolta/Sony) which is optically more or less identical but in combination with my Sony DSLR much more easier to use and of course a lot cheaper than e.g. the huge and heavy Minolta AF APO 400/4.5 plus APO 1.4X converter alternative. Anyway, if I'm able to find one for a decent price I'll give it most probably a try. The better portability and the total absence of CA's is certainly a good reason to use mirror lenses regardless of their strange bokeh under certain conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use focus bracketing if possible.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Thanks for the hint, Calvin. I've just ordered the AF version:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AF version is a no-brainer for SLR/SLT or MILC with EA4 adapter..... For recently Sony MILC, the Techart AF adapter will help to get the focus too especially with lightweight mirror lens. With the IBIS function, using mirror lenses is now easier than ever. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Thanks for the hint, Calvin. I've just ordered the AF version:

Yes, that is my lens too Thomas.
A friend gave it to me when he left film cameras behind some years ago.
Here are a couple more
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas: Those look very good. Prices are higher than I'd like for the AF but I wouldn't mind one on my old A200 for those moments when AF comes in handy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The AF version is a no-brainer for SLR/SLT or MILC with EA4 adapter..... For recently Sony MILC, the Techart AF adapter will help to get the focus too especially with lightweight mirror lens. With the IBIS function, using mirror lenses is now easier than ever. Wink

Have you had experience with the Techart AF?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thomas: Those look very good. Prices are higher than I'd like for the AF but I wouldn't mind one on my old A200 for those moments when AF comes in handy.

Thank you Michael.
I use mine on my Fuji X-E2 which is easy because the lens is comparatively light.
No AF on that, but the focus assist from the electronic viewfinder is a big help.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first contribution to this thread is the inevitable, even boring, moon shot.
I apologise in advance, I will find something more interesting in future.

Taken with my Zeiss Mirotar, which I'm told was actually manufactured by Tomioka.
I bought this lens several years ago, NOS from ffordes when the prices were vaguely reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Have you had experience with the Techart AF?

My friend show me how it works with its sigma 400 mirror. Use the AF for fine tune after pre-focus with hand. Speed is ok but accurate enough if there is enough light.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Will report back how it works on my Sony A850 FF DSLR incl. IBIS. Maybe shooting freehand might even be possible then. Should be a major improvement. I'm really curios now. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent moon shot, 3dpan. One of the nicest I recall seeing here. And just to offer a comparison, here's one I shot with my Tamron 55BB 500/8 mirror, camera was a Sony NEX 7:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
That's an excellent moon shot, 3dpan. One of the nicest I recall seeing here. And just to offer a comparison, here's one I shot with my Tamron 55BB 500/8 mirror, camera was a Sony NEX 7:

I keep reading good things about the Tamron 55BB, and your moon pic would justify those reviews.
I'm really very tempted to add one to my collection.