Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

500mm Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I look forward to receiving the Tamron tomorrow and using over the weekend. There are still some other brands I would like to try, Minolta being one of them. I would also love to find an affordable Yashica ML. And by the way, I bought a mint, older Soligor that is terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I was offered a Soligor ZOOM Mirror the other day, I think it was 500 to 800? Anyway....I hadn't got the cash on me, and it wasn't that much, and I didn't get it. Crying or Very sad An interesting lens though.

Good choice not to buy. I had purchased an inexpensive but like-new Soligor 8/500 of older style. Beautiful, solid lens. Terrible images.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received the Tamron, replaced the Canon Adaptall 2 mount with one direct to E-Mount. I took a little time to get used to it and found that I was being a little overconfident in my handholding skills. Bad light also contributed to poor early results. My third time out with a monopod and better light produced much better results.

I have also found a Yashica ML in near mint condition and initially experienced the same as with the Tamron. A more careful and deliberate shoot with the ML is forthcoming.

These are images from the Tamron SP 8/500 55BB:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results from the Tamron,
Persistence paid off
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I learned through trial and error with my old Sigma 600 that careful attention to technique brought out the lens's excellent capabilities. Best to be somewhat deliberate when using these long yet light optics.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good results! Impressive...have to work on my skills using those lenses, too for sure!

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yery nice results, Woodrim.

IMHO the most important issue with these lenses is the technique how to use them. It took me a while to learn the best practice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Yery nice results, Woodrim.

IMHO the most important issue with these lenses is the technique how to use them. It took me a while to learn the best practice.

You are so right! I've made the point before that I think much of the criticism mirrors get is from people who just didn't get them focused. Until recently with the introduction of mirrorless and focusing aids, the failure rate must have been high. I base this opinion on my experience with my first DSLR and what I see today in the viewfinder with how little movement of the focusing ring it takes to move from perfect to less than perfect.

My more recent experience has shown me the extra sensitivity of lighter weight lenses. When handholding, perfect focus comes and goes not only from the focus ring but also movement of the subject and movement of me - not being able to stay in a rigid position while standing. I sway. That is lessened some by using a monopod and closer to eliminated with a tripod. However, given the nature of my subjects, I choose the monopod for greater flexibility. When I see that perfect moment of focus - or something happening that I want to capture - I've had the tendency to hit the shutter too abruptly, causing a jolt. Fast shutter speeds, IBIS, and a heavier lens has saved me much of the time.

I am now concentrating on my methods. It has been the norm for me to get my best results from a lens on my third trip out. That has been the case with the Tamron and I'm hoping the same for the Yashica ML. They are both new to me and during my first couple of outings, I was switching back and forth, handholding both. And to make it worse, the lighting was poor. I was depending too much on IBIS.

I've had great success with the two Russian mirrors but they're very large and much heavier than Tamron and Yashica ML, the ML being the lightest. My initial impression of the much-touted ML is that it is on a par with the Tamron, certainly not to the level of much of what is written.

Here are a few of my early Yashica ML images (the first not in perfect focus)...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when I was doing a lot of motorsports photography with my old Canons and my Sigma 600mm, I almost always had a monopod attached to my outfit. Sometimes I was able to shoot at high enough shutter speeds, even when shooting with Kodachrome 64, but I preferred the added stability that the monopod provided. And I believe it paid off. I'm pretty sure I've shown this pair of images before, but I'm gonna go ahead and post them again, just to show the level of sharpness a good mirror can obtain. Bear in mind this is a slide images too. Judging by the size of the grain, I think it was Fujichrome 100.

The full-frame image:

A 100% crop:

This dupe was taken with my old 10.1mp Canon EOS XS DSLR. One thing I never cared for about that camera was, when viewing an image at 100%, stairsteps to diagonal lines were visible. They are evident in the printing on the driver's helmet.