Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why are there so few "cheapo" 85mm lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to about 1970 35mm was more common than 28mm
There are a lot more 35mm presets out there than 28mm for instance.
35mm did die out pretty rapidly later.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The cost of manufacture is a factor, but that isn't the real reason why 85s are so expensive. You'd never sell an expensive, high quality, lens (or anything else) unless someone was prepared to pay for it. The price is set by supply and demand. What we should be asking is why is there such high demand for 85mm lenses.

For users of APS-C sensors, a replacement for the standard 135 portrait lens that most people bought back when? Rightly or wrongly it is perceived that the 50mm won't do and the old 135mm are too long now.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a cheapo 85 out there. Search Ebay for Camdiox 85/2, I think it was a Sonnar formula, made for PK mount.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame there is a shortage of 85mm (and 100/105mm) lenses as they are more useful than 135mm lenses...erm we must have been brainwashed in the past to accept 135mm as a "must have" as I would have thought with mass production the 85mm to 105mm could have been just as cheap.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:
I think there is a cheapo 85 out there. Search Ebay for Camdiox 85/2, I think it was a Sonnar formula, made for PK mount.

Looked it up. Do you have any more information? Could be worth a try...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come under different names, if you dig a little, there was a thread about it, with photos. Not tack sharp wide open, rather plasticky build, but optically a Sonnar with all its virtues, after stopped down a little. Mostly P/K lens, some claim PKA. I don't remember if they come in other mounts.

Edit: Found the thread http://forum.mflenses.com/mitakon-mc-85mm-f2-made-in-china-t30160,highlight,%2Bmitakon.html

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:
They come under different names, if you dig a little, there was a thread about it, with photos. Not tack sharp wide open, rather plasticky build, but optically a Sonnar with all its virtues, after stopped down a little.

That lens is a classic Planar design. Double-Gauss construction.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:
They come under different names, if you dig a little, there was a thread about it, with photos. Not tack sharp wide open, rather plasticky build, but optically a Sonnar with all its virtues, after stopped down a little. Mostly P/K lens, some claim PKA. I don't remember if they come in other mounts.

Edit: Found the thread http://forum.mflenses.com/mitakon-mc-85mm-f2-made-in-china-t30160,highlight,%2Bmitakon.html

Ah, yes. I remember reading this thread. Thanks for digging it up!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Two cheap-o 85mm Reply with quote

I've picked up two relatively cheap 85mm f1.8s in recent weeks.
First I got a Spiratone YS mount, with m42 adapter/t-mount. It has a M/A switch but slow/oily aperture blades.
Then I got a Tele Vivitar preset. It also has oily aperture blades, though that doesn't 't make much difference on a preset lens.
Haven't had time to shoot anything with them yet, but the info I've found in the web about them makes me very hopeful.
http://www.theautodolly.com/images/pair.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cheekygeek:

Interesting lenses! Maybe you can post some pictures when you have shot with the lenses.