Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which lens is worthwhile of yours? come and share, lol
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Which lens is worthwhile of yours? come and share, lol Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'd like to know the worthwhile lens of yours?

This post may suitable for depression around the world now. Laughing

For me, Schneider Tele xenar 135mm f4 is the worthwhile lens I have got. I paid only 9.99USD and it took a great pictures like this;

Come and share your best paid please. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the lens that I had:

Summicron M 50/2 the second version.

Summilux M 75/1,4

Skopagon 40/2

Now :

20/4 flektogon aus jena.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont own anything GREAT! I do have a few very good lenses that I enjoy shooting with. Smile

1. Fujinon 3.5 135mm EBC
2. Fujinon 1.8 55mm EBC
3. Nikkor 1.4 50mm
4. Zeiss Biotar 2 58mm
5.Zeiss Jena 3.5 135mm (zebra)

Nothing GREAT, but all very usable. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the lens with the best price-performance-ratio (value)?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the topic is meant to be a price/peformance ratio thing. In which case I'd have to say it's a tossup between my Pentacon 50/1,8 ($30 shipped) and my Helios-44M 58/2 ($30 shipped)

Pentacon 50/1,8

Helios-44M 58/2

Last edited by rawhead on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang for the buck, the Helios 44x must win it every time; a fiver or less for such IQ, but that still leaves open the individual deal that might be found on something else, compared to its normal selling price.
A 25ukp Tamron SP90 was my second best deal of last year - and it came from a dealer.
Or the 10ukp Tair-11A.
Or the 10ukp Pentacon 135/2.8 zebra.
Or the 10ukp 19AH - this was the winner if I leave the Helios out of the equation.

More broadly, the 103A Tamron is dreadfully under-priced still and can be snapped up for a tenner, routinely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several really good lenses that I have paid almost nothing for:
Helios-44-2; Yashinon 2.0/5cm...
EDITED.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think the OP suggested anything about price. it would seem he would just like to know which lenses we prefer from our collection.

I could be wrong, but that was the way i read the original post. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Helios-40-2; Yashinon 2.0/5cm...

Helios-44-2 I guess...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best performance ratio what you can get a pro lens in ugly condition...

I bought on low prices due bad looking or scratch

CZ Planar 85mm f1.4 big scratch on inner element 100 GBP
SMC Takumar K 85mm f1.8 20 EUR big scratch at edge on front element
Nikkor 28mm f2.8 Close focus lot of scratch on front and rare 20 EUR

All Konica lenses what you can get
All Russians and almost all East German lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lenses I love to shoot with that I got cheaper than I should have:

- Auto Tak 55/1.8, SMC Tak 55/1.8, SMC Tak 50/1.4, Super Tak 28/3.5 with case and metal shade... Other Takumars I've paid reasonably market-ish for. Still makes them very cost effective.
- Yashinon DX 35/2.8

But perhaps the best deal I've ever made is $25 for a Bessa 66 and a Gossen Luna Lux SBC.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

For me they are a Meyer Gorlitz Orestor 100/2.8, bought for a few euros (but without an hood Sad )

At f/5.6:

Cannot remember the f/stop here ...

And an SMC Takumar 35/2 bought really cheap from an eBay seller with a really bad reputation (guess who Wink ) ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the lenses I've acquired, there aren't many real disappointments, in that sense I might say that most of them have been worth my while. However, considering my photography and the prices I've paid for the lenses, there are a few which really stand out. Most of these lenses came from the UK so I've converted all the prices to GBP.

1. 4.5/105 Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar 4.51 GBP
2. 7.7/5" Aldis Uno Anastigmat 6.99
3. Vest Pocket Kodak Meniscus Achromat 7.00
4. 4.5/5 1/2" TTH Cooke Anastigmat 12.68
5. 6.8/150 Goerz Dopp-Anastigmat III Dagor 22.56
6. 4.5/105 Voigtlaender Heliar 30.13

The total for these six lenses is 83.87 GBP, and the average price is 13.98 GBP, which isn't too bad given the quality and characteristics of the lenses. The next lens among my most used ones would be the 4.5/5.25" TTH Cooke Aviar, but it is already much more expensive at 43.68 GBP, slightly more than half of the total for the previous ones but still very cheap considering the optical quality.

My cheapest lens is a Helios 44-2 at 2.76 GBP and the next cheapest "modern" one is a 3.5/135 S-M-C Takumar at 6.24 GBP, but these lenses are nowhere near the group of my most used modern lenses consisting of six Leitz R lenses (from 35 to 180 mm) and the 4/180 APO-Lanthar, a much more expensive lot but still costing altogether only about as much as a single new Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L here in Finland. Another way to consider my modern favorites is to say that the average price of a lens in that group is slightly higher than the total price of my seven favorite ancient ones, the group of lenses with which I do 90-95% of my shooting.

For me, the most price effective choice of three lenses would be: Radionar + Meniscus + Cooke Anastigmat at a total price of 24.19 GBP.

The best, most worthwhile single lens would be the Radionar, tunable from reasonably sharp to reasonably soft, from almost Cooke to almost Meniscus.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the question is about the price/performance ratio, in my case my best buy have been the Jupiter-37AM for 7 Euros and the Flektogon 2.8/20 for 90 Euros.
I also could buy an Hollywood Distagon for something like 190 Euros if I remember correctly (it's less than half of minimum used resale value - and about one third of common used resale value).

If instead the question is about the lens that I love the most, then I would say the Distagon 1.4/35 (300 Euros paid - which is also about half the price of average used resale value today).
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Helios-40-2; Yashinon 2.0/5cm...

Helios-44-2 I guess...

Yes, of course. I'll correct it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most used lens, which I think is absolutely superb, is my Helios 44M-4. I paid £12.00 for it which is more than market value however.

My best value lens is the CZJ Sonnar I picked up for £10.50, closely followed by the Flek 35/2.4 for £28.00. One really big surprise was a Pentacon 50/1.8 for £6.99 and the Tamron 103a with M42 adapter for £12.50 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

All Konica lenses what you can get.

YES. YES. YES. YES.

They are a beauty!!!

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sorry I'm weak at English. Very Happy

As rawhead said, I mean price / perfomance ratio. Very Happy

indianadinos, Meyer Orestor 100mm f2.8 give the unbelievable perfomance. I like the first picture. Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
One really big surprise was a Pentacon 50/1.8 for £6.99

It's a really excelent lens. This meyer (oreston and pentacon) lens was made with poland's glass (not schott ones like zeiss). Very good quality. Praktica had it as normal lens (more economic than the pancolar and tessar) for long time and I have read in PP of 1993 that was sold of all.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Among the lenses I've acquired, there aren't many real disappointments, in that sense I might say that most of them have been worth my while. However, considering my photography and the prices I've paid for the lenses, there are a few which really stand out. Most of these lenses came from the UK so I've converted all the prices to GBP.

The total for these six lenses is 83.87 GBP, and the average price is 13.98 GBP, which isn't too bad given the quality and characteristics of the lenses. The next lens among my most used ones would be the 4.5/5.25" TTH Cooke Aviar, but it is already much more expensive at 43.68 GBP, slightly more than half of the total for the previous ones but still very cheap considering the optical quality.

My cheapest lens is a Helios 44-2 at 2.76 GBP and the next cheapest "modern" one is a 3.5/135 S-M-C Takumar at 6.24 GBP, but these lenses are nowhere near the group of my most used modern lenses consisting of six Leitz R lenses (from 35 to 180 mm) and the 4/180 APO-Lanthar, a much more expensive lot but still costing altogether only about as much as a single new Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L here in Finland. Another way to consider my modern favorites is to say that the average price of a lens in that group is slightly higher than the total price of my seven favorite ancient ones, the group of lenses with which I do 90-95% of my shooting.

For me, the most price effective choice of three lenses would be: Radionar + Meniscus + Cooke Anastigmat at a total price of 24.19 GBP.

The best, most worthwhile single lens would be the Radionar, tunable from reasonably sharp to reasonably soft, from almost Cooke to almost Meniscus.

Veijo

Veijo, your gears are interesting. Could you please show some pics form these lens? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:
vilva wrote:

Veijo

Veijo, your gears are interesting. Could you please show some pics form these lens? Very Happy

Just go to http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/ and you'll find the whole lot and then some.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

Just go to http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/ and you'll find the whole lot and then some.

Veijo

A site that I regularly visit and recommend. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like and enjoy all my lens, but there are a few I use most so by default they are my favorite.

My 18-55mm Pentax Kit lens, because for the money it is very hard to beat.
This photo of my Granddaughter was taken with the Kit lens.

My Sigma 50-500mm APO DG EX lens for it's IQ and versatility and focal range. With it and the 18-55mm kit lens, the main focal range is covered.

My Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 1:1 macro lens. If lenses get sharper than this one you'll need chain mail gloves to handle them. Now I just need to learn how to use it well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang for the buck...

Tomioka Yashinon 55mm f1.2 - $35 (Local)
Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4 - $39 (KEH)
[AF] Sigma 24-60mm f2.8 EX - $220 (Cameta)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: $2 each Minolta 50mm f2 and f1.7 Reply with quote

I mostly used my manual lenses for flowers. I use the Vivitar 2X macro focusing teleconverter to make them macro lens.
enjoy,
gil

$2 Minolta MD 500mm f2 + 2X Vivitar Macro Focusing Teleconveter

$2 Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 + 2X Vivitar MFC Teleconverter