Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where to get m39 -> m42 adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Where to get m39 -> m42 adapter? Reply with quote

Where to get m39 -> m42 adapter? The stores in sweden doesnt seem to have that one.

Found 3 Zenit 3ms with Helios-lenses, one is as low as $3. But they have m39 mount, yes?

I have a Canos EOS 350D and a m42-adapter. Wonder if its worth trying to fit another adapter on there and where I could get one?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking on e-bay but just use "m39 adapter" this will bring all the varieties up I'm sure I saw some m39-42 adapters there recently from China, either Shanghai or Hong Kong with free postage for approx £4.95

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay seller sovietarmystuff usually has them for dirt cheap - about a couple of quid a go. They're only a ring threaded on both sides, machine made, so they shouldn't be expensive, whatever source you find.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can afford to invest a little more money, I would advice to go for a direct M39-EOS adapter.
The M39-M42 rings have the big problem that if they are screwed on tightly, they become nearly impossible to remove.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter from sovietarmystuff is useful and convenient for M39/42 russian adaptation for zenit 1 , S , 3 , 3M lenses to M42 . However , it is said there is a little difference in these lenses register for infinity focus. (45,46 - 45,50, or more ? I Have another adapter with a flange which is 1mm thick , and therefore cannot be used for this purpose .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 M39/M42 adapters, they are just a ring threaded inside and out with no flange - there is no register difference between M39 Zenit and M42. The rings do stick sometimes, but (unless you put one on upside down) there is a pair of spanner slots on one end that you can use to remove a stuck ring from a lens. The only use for these adapters is to convert an early Zenit lens to the later M42 mount, so the original rings are all Russian products from the 1960s. It should not be hard to find one on eBay but you will not find one in a store ... the commercial value of these, such as it ever was, began to drop off about 40 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all nice advise! Smile I found some on ebay, they seem quite common. Will wait and se if I get any of the Zenits with Helios m39 on swedish ebay Tradera, but I lost the first one. The next thats has low price is 6 days away (and is just like 2€ for Zenit 3m, Helios 44, case and so on... but maybe it will get more expensive).

I already have a Helios 44-3 (from Minsk and the 80's), but I'm curious on the other Helios 44 models since it's my favorite lens at the moment, way better then my EF-lenses for the Canon EOS (bokeh is important to me).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alu finish Helios with M39 mount can be a fantastic lens.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/Helios/helios-44-alu-M39/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one on ebay and it works OK. From memory there are at least a couple of versions. (I am talking about the adapter to use an M42 lens on a Leica body if that is what you are after.)

One I saw is a Russian version which of course is cheaper . You can find it here. (You can also buy direct from this site.)

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/m42_lenses_adapters.htm

The other I recall is a Novoflex one. The latter tend to be more pricey. (Google Novoflex and you will see lots of hits although I did not see Novoflex web site - they seem to sell through retailers not directly.)

I think mine may be a Novoflex (not sure I am at work right now) The only small problem I have is that while it works fine on a screw mount camera I have found that it does not work well when an M mount adapter is added to use it on an M camera - it tends to bind on the body of the M camera due to the adapter diameter being a little too large causing it to catch on body protrusions. I have tried on an M3 and an M4P with identical results.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this price and shipping included you can't beat it:
http://www.priceangels.com/M39-M42-Adapter-Ring-Black-s517460.html

I ordered 3 and they work perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
if you can afford to invest a little more money, I would advice to go for a direct M39-EOS adapter.
The M39-M42 rings have the big problem that if they are screwed on tightly, they become nearly impossible to remove.

+1