Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two 55's landed this week - here's the first:

Auto Chinon MC 55mm f1.4 by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

love the rendering and sharpness:

lawn chairs, west field by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the second:

Kuribayashi CC Petri 55mm f2 - the kit lens for the early Petriflex SLR's....

Kuribayashi CC Petri 55mm f2 by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

love the colors this one produces...

coneflowers by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperberry farm wrote:

Is the Chinon the same as Rikenon 55 1.4 and many others but with better coatings?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage_Photographer wrote:
Just waiting for a boring standard MD 50mm f/1.7 to arrive. Comes boxed and look like new from the pictures.

And it arrived this morning. Excellent condition with just a few small marks on the filter ring.
Tested on my X-T4 and it has decent sharpness and lovely colour rendering.
I'm not complaining at £10!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
pepperberry farm wrote:

Is the Chinon the same as Rikenon 55 1.4 and many others but with better coatings?

same design as far as the construction - no idea on the coatings, however...

I have a fast 55mm fetish, I have to admit - currently, I have the Cosina and Rikenon 55/1.4's, along with this Chinon, and a Petri 55/1.4, plus some 55/1.2's.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.ferfgerfgergerg

Last edited by eugene1979 on Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Liesegang Peplostar S. II 4.5/6cm (enlarger lens)
* Schneider Curtagon 2.8/35mm (relatively modern looking industrial lens with its own focusing thread)
* Yashinon 3.5/80mm from a medium format camera (looks pretty battered)
* Tamron Adaptall-2 2.5/28mm (I already had the corresponding 2.5/24mm and 2.57135mm lenses; looking forward to test the 28mm incarnation)
* Petri 1.9 Color Super rangefinder camera with built-in Petri Orikkor 1.9/4.5cm lens

Not yet arrived, and all stuff looks as if it would need some maintenance ... Slightyl "exotic" stuff and all new to me Wink

S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

* Tamron Adaptall-2 2.5/28mm (I already had the corresponding 2.5/24mm and 2.57135mm lenses; looking forward to test the 28mm incarnation)

S

One of my "pet" lenses. Excels at minimum focus distance. Moderately usable on distant scenics, but I like the nikkor 3.5 better for that. Background oof areas ( bokeh Rolling Eyes ) alright up until about f5.6 on mine. f8 starts getting a little too showy on mine for my tastes.

Clean fungus free copies of the Tamron 2.5 are getting hard to find. I got mine from a camera repair shop. It had come in for CLA and was un-claimed.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 5cm f2 (1938, uncoated, for (Kino) Exakta)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:

I also got one of these in the last few months. Looking at the diagram posted at: https://photobutmore.de/exakta/schneider/

it appears to be a very symmetrical lens design. My copy has decent contrast, EXCEPT in backlight, the veiling flare is as you'd expect. Schneider Kreuznach lenses from that period are usually easy to diasassemble and clean or lubricate, and are of very nice quality construction, typical for the period.

Now I'm looking around for push on hoods to suit my growing collection of lenses from that period.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mamiya-Sekor C 75-150mm f/4.5 coming my way .
Hope it’s in ok condition, as i bought it very cheap from Japan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

That's an interesting lens I completely forgot about. I vaguely remember it being advertised in an early (?) leaflet for the Mamiya 645 system, but I never saw one here in Switzerland. Curious to hear about your experiences!

S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
* Liesegang Peplostar S. II 4.5/6cm (enlarger lens)
* Schneider Curtagon 2.8/35mm (relatively modern looking industrial lens with its own focusing thread)
* Yashinon 3.5/80mm from a medium format camera (looks pretty battered)
* Petri 1.9 Color Super rangefinder camera with built-in Petri Orikkor 1.9/4.5cm lens

Not yet arrived, and all stuff looks as if it would need some maintenance ... Slightyl "exotic" stuff and all new to me Wink

S

The Petri lens will be similar to the Petri 4,5cm 1.8 I salvaged from a Petri 7 and first gave a Sony FE mount, but later on without the helicoid, changed to M42 to fit one of the better Chinese helicoids. Both versions with 3D printed parts. The camera was bought with the 10 aperture blades stuck criss cross. After several fruitless aperture repairs I made some modifications to the mechanism so it works now without failure. Size and rendering are probably the best reasons to use it, optical flaws enough if used on an FF sensor. There are better fixed rangefinder lenses.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65114071 early images after the first conversion.

https://w-atwiki-jp.translate.goog/petri/pages/308.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=sv with a lens diagram of the 45mm

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/67794900 how the aperture issue was fixed in the end

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/67813164 image made after the fix

Last edited by Ernst Dinkla on Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:

I have one of those as well, albeit with an obscure M40 thread (for prewar Praktiflex). Since I don't have a suitable adapter, I haven't really used it yet - apart from a few "freelensing" trials. Certainly a nice looking fast lens!

S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

That's an interesting lens I completely forgot about. I vaguely remember it being advertised in an early (?) leaflet for the Mamiya 645 system, but I never saw one here in Switzerland. Curious to hear about your experiences!

S

It’s easier to find information on the AF version of the lens. In think later on it was also sold under the Phase One label.
Payed less than 50€ for it, but of course some more costs will be made to get it from Japan into The Netherlands .Judging from the pictures it looked good, except for a small fungus spider in the periphery of the front element. It could very well have no impact on the image, or maybe I will have it removed. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
... except for a small fungus spider in the periphery of the front element. It could very well have no impact on the image, or maybe I will have it removed. Fingers crossed!

If it's only that, it should be negligeable. Apart from that most classical four group zooms (and the Mamiya 75-150 probably is one) have a front (=focusing) which is pretty easy to remove & clean. Usually a liittle screw (or two or three) close to the front - loosen it and take the front (focuing) element off. Further disassemly usually with at spanner wrench ... and then you can clean the two or three lenses of the front group easily.

S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
... except for a small fungus spider in the periphery of the front element. It could very well have no impact on the image, or maybe I will have it removed. Fingers crossed!

If it's only that, it should be negligeable. Apart from that most classical four group zooms (and the Mamiya 75-150 probably is one) have a front (=focusing) which is pretty easy to remove & clean. Usually a liittle screw (or two or three) close to the front - loosen it and take the front (focuing) element off. Further disassemly usually with at spanner wrench ... and then you can clean the two or three lenses of the front group easily.

S

Thanks for your tips Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
DrBB wrote:

I also got one of these in the last few months. Looking at the diagram posted at: https://photobutmore.de/exakta/schneider/

it appears to be a very symmetrical lens design. My copy has decent contrast, EXCEPT in backlight, the veiling flare is as you'd expect. Schneider Kreuznach lenses from that period are usually easy to diasassemble and clean or lubricate, and are of very nice quality construction, typical for the period.

Now I'm looking around for push on hoods to suit my growing collection of lenses from that period.

heh, yeah i have the same problem, I "accidentally" started collection of Kine Exakta lenses (so far this is 4th lens in my collection, beside Ihagee Anast. Exaktar 5.4cm f3.5, Tessar 5cm f2.8 and Anastigmat Victar 5cm f2.9).

this Xenon came with almost stuck focus (probably a good thing, usually meaning it was never serviced). Glass looks great after cleaning with few air bubbles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for another big zoom from the past i found this 1983 Sun built Soligor 5.6-7/130-650mm zoom giant.

It feels like new. Nice necktwister fun-zoom. Can't wait to make some pictures with it. First impression is positive, it focusses quite nice, contrast looks good regarding the type of lens and it's age.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 coming my way…. Finally Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Photo's of the lens when you get it, please!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.Schacht Ulm Travenar 90mm f2.8 R (exakta)
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Primagon V 35mm f4.5 (M39?????)

coming hopefully next week

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting for a boring standard MD 50mm f/1.7 to arrive. Comes boxed and look like new from the pictures.

And it arrived this morning. Excellent condition with just a few small marks on the filter ring.
Tested on my X-T4 and it has decent sharpness and lovely colour rendering.
I'm not complaining at £10!

A very belittled lens. Criticized for lack of sharpness at f1,7. Next stop being 2,8, many would consider it uninteresting. However you can use it between the two first stops which will result in an approx. f2,0 aperture with remarkable results, comparable or better than the results of most fifities, even much pricier ones. Bokeh is nice and you will never be afraid of taking it out in difficult conditions, at that price.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouwesok wrote:
Looking for another big zoom from the past i found this 1983 Sun built Soligor 5.6-7/130-650mm zoom giant.
It feels like new. Nice necktwister fun-zoom. Can't wait to make some pictures with it. First impression is positive, it focusses quite nice, contrast looks good regarding the type of lens and it's age.

Crazy lens - never heard of that one! Will be interesting to see how it performs, especially at the long end. I have a Tamron SP 5.6/200-500mm which is less than spectacular both at the short as well as at the long end. And for a 5.6/300mm it's pretty large an heavy Wink
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/31A.html

caspert79 wrote:

That's a really nice lens if you can live with its rather average lateral CA performance at the long end. Detail resolution however is visibly better than with all my other vintage 80-200 / 70-210 manual focus zooms.

lumens pixel wrote:

A very belittled lens. Criticized for lack of sharpness at f1,7. Next stop being 2,8, many would consider it uninteresting. However you can use it between the two first stops which will result in an approx. f2,0 aperture with remarkable results, comparable or better than the results of most fifities, even much pricier ones. Bokeh is nice and you will never be afraid of taking it out in difficult conditions, at that price.

Are you talking about MD-I, MD-II, or MD-III versions? There are at least two computations (MD-I and early MD-II is one, and MD-III is another). I'm not sure whether the later (lighter) MD-II (Dennis Lohmann's No 101) optically is the same as the MD-I, or the MD-III (or another slightly different computation ...). The MD-I certainly is better than the MD-III (several samples tested side-by-side).

Returning from Austria I expect a few "new" lenses to have arrived ... which means some fun tonight and tomorrow Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Ouwesok wrote:

Crazy lens - never heard of that one! Will be interesting to see how it performs, especially at the long end. I have a Tamron SP 5.6/200-500mm which is less than spectacular both at the short as well as at the long end. And for a 5.6/300mm it's pretty large an heavy Wink
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/31A.html

caspert79 wrote:

That's a really nice lens if you can live with its rather average lateral CA performance at the long end. Detail resolution however is visibly better than with all my other vintage 80-200 / 70-210 manual focus zooms.

lumens pixel wrote:

Are you talking about MD-I, MD-II, or MD-III versions? There are at least two computations (MD-I and early MD-II is one, and MD-III is another). I'm not sure whether the later (lighter) MD-II (Dennis Lohmann's No 101) optically is the same as the MD-I, or the MD-III (or another slightly different computation ...). The MD-I certainly is better than the MD-III (several samples tested side-by-side).

Returning from Austria I expect a few "new" lenses to have arrived ... which means some fun tonight and tomorrow Wink

S

My 50 1,7 is conical near the aperture ring, 49mm filter and f16. I guess it makes an MDII, but not sure.