Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ DocS: Thanks you for this information - I have never been able to use/test the newer versions of the 2.5/105mm Nikkor, and therefore very much appreciate your informed opinion!

S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
@ DocS: Thanks you for this information - I have never been able to use/test the newer versions of the 2.5/105mm Nikkor, and therefore very much appreciate your informed opinion!

S

Just a couple of points on this:

All the samples I tried were bought used, and in the case of the "P", the lens had seen quite heavy use before it got to me.
I suspect sample variation may have played a fairly large part of my experience.

The AI-s versions appear to have different coatings from the A/I and earlier versions. The bright green color of the A/I lenses looks to have been replaced with a more "modern" purple/rose coloration. I have been unable to substantiate these observations- even the AI-s 50mm f1.4 seems to display the different colored coatings.

Not that well informed opinions Wink Wink ... just user experiences. As always, the mileage of others will most likely vary greatly.

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Nikkor-P.C. 105/2.5 (Xenotar), Ai 105/2.5 and Ais 205/2.5 before. Of the three, the Ais clearly had best corner performance. So some kind of upgrading must have taking place over time within the Xenotar type. The Ais had very similar performance to my Minolta MC (5/5 version) 100/2.5, which I still have (the Nikkor I sold for this reason). I don’t expect to see the same from the Nikkor 105/2.5 Sonnar type, but centrally the lens seems sharp wide open (at least through the viewfinder, with lots of focus peaking). Maybe interesting to compare it against the Topcor RE 100/2.8, which is also Sonnar formule if I’m not wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I have used the Nikkor-P.C. 105/2.5 (Xenotar), Ai 105/2.5 and Ais 205/2.5 before. Of the three, the Ais clearly had best corner performance. So some kind of upgrading must have taking place over time within the Xenotar type. The Ais had very similar performance to my Minolta MC (5/5 version) 100/2.5, which I still have (the Nikkor I sold for this reason). I don’t expect to see the same from the Nikkor 105/2.5 Sonnar type, but centrally the lens seems sharp wide open (at least through the viewfinder, with lots of focus peaking). Maybe interesting to compare it against the Topcor RE 100/2.8, which is also Sonnar formule if I’m not wrong.

And add the Sonnar 85 QBM to the mix Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I have used the Nikkor-P.C. 105/2.5 (Xenotar), Ai 105/2.5 and Ais 205/2.5 before. Of the three, the Ais clearly had best corner performance. So some kind of upgrading must have taking place over time within the Xenotar type.

"Rolands Nikon Pages" do list five slightly different optical constructions of the Xenotar type Nikkor 2.5/105mm ...
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105

caspert79 wrote:
The Ais had very similar performance to my Minolta MC (5/5 version) 100/2.5, which I still have (the Nikkor I sold for this reason). I don’t expect to see the same from the Nikkor 105/2.5 Sonnar type, but centrally the lens seems sharp wide open (at least through the viewfinder, with lots of focus peaking). Maybe interesting to compare it against the Topcor RE 100/2.8, which is also Sonnar formule if I’m not wrong.
To me the results from the Topcor RE 2.8/10cm look much nicer than the results from my Sonnar type 105mm Nikkors. Slightly soft wide open (in a nice and pleasing way), pretty sharp from f5.6 onwards, even on 43 MP FF A7RII. That said, my second and newer copy (Topcor RE 2.8/100mm) isn't nearly as good as the frist one and looks more like my 105mm Sonnar Nikkors ... So yeah, compare the Sonnar Nikkor with the Topcor RE and the MD-III Minolta 2.5/100mm, for reference.

S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@S Thanks for the nikkor serial # link -- hadn't seen that before!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Are you aware of this one? Typical Swiss collector ... well, to some extent.

https://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html

S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

S

The lens serial # data here has been a point of reference for me for quite a while now.
The entire site appears to be a work in progress.

There is a bit of overlap concerning serial numbers for both lenses and bodies, which is not surprising considering the vast numbers of all the things that the company has made over the years.
I doubt the site ever intended to be a "cast in stone" reference- it is still evolving, even today.
I spend a lot of time reading on this site.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
stevemark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

S

The lens serial # data here has been a point of reference for me for quite a while now.
The entire site appears to be a work in progress.

There is a bit of overlap concerning serial numbers for both lenses and bodies, which is not surprising considering the vast numbers of all the things that the company has made over the years.
I doubt the site ever intended to be a "cast in stone" reference- it is still evolving, even today.
I spend a lot of time reading on this site.

-D.S.

I always went to http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html -- just had never clicked the serial # link.

@S Yes I knew about destoutz.ch as there are many links to there on photosynthisys...

I'll be utilizing both sites if my LBA flares up -- I do like Nikkors!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

And add the Sonnar 85 QBM to the mix Wink

This wouldn’t be entirely fair, because the difference in focal length is quite large.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
I have used the Nikkor-P.C. 105/2.5 (Xenotar), Ai 105/2.5 and Ais 205/2.5 before. Of the three, the Ais clearly had best corner performance. So some kind of upgrading must have taking place over time within the Xenotar type.

"Rolands Nikon Pages" do list five slightly different optical constructions of the Xenotar type Nikkor 2.5/105mm ...
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105

caspert79 wrote:
The Ais had very similar performance to my Minolta MC (5/5 version) 100/2.5, which I still have (the Nikkor I sold for this reason). I don’t expect to see the same from the Nikkor 105/2.5 Sonnar type, but centrally the lens seems sharp wide open (at least through the viewfinder, with lots of focus peaking). Maybe interesting to compare it against the Topcor RE 100/2.8, which is also Sonnar formule if I’m not wrong.
To me the results from the Topcor RE 2.8/10cm look much nicer than the results from my Sonnar type 105mm Nikkors. Slightly soft wide open (in a nice and pleasing way), pretty sharp from f5.6 onwards, even on 43 MP FF A7RII. That said, my second and newer copy (Topcor RE 2.8/100mm) isn't nearly as good as the frist one and looks more like my 105mm Sonnar Nikkors ... So yeah, compare the Sonnar Nikkor with the Topcor RE and the MD-III Minolta 2.5/100mm, for reference.

S

Will do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is made to fit a Braun Paxette Super III which had a version of the prontor mount. The Ultralit trade name has normally been thought to be used by Staeble, but seeing it on an Isco made lens shows it to be a Braun trade name used on more than one manufacturers lenses. I'm not sure why, but the 135mm lenses for leaf shutter rangefinder mounts never seem to feature the large front elements used by some leaf shutter SLR lenses like the Kowa, Kodak Retina, and Topcon cameras, although other leaf shutter SLRs like the Voigtlander and Agfa SLR cameras also never used large front elements either. This lens has a 1.5m MFD, the best of any leaf shutter 135mm lens I've used.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

The AI-s versions appear to have different coatings from the A/I and earlier versions. The bright green color of the A/I lenses looks to have been replaced with a more "modern" purple/rose coloration. I have been unable to substantiate these observations-
-D.S.

Quote:
Ai-s 105/2.5 MIJ 3+ built-in hood, SIC coating from 1043xxx

...confirmed, from the photosynthesis page, at least for the 105. I was sure I wasn't just seeing things Wink

On a slightly related note, clicking on the specifications tab will get you the number of elements/groups. The bit on coatings, interestingly enough, comes up on the serial number tab.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma Minitel 4/200mm - a slightly weird looking tele lens from the mid-1970s which nicely fits to the Sigma Minitel 2.8/135mm and the Sigma Minitel 2.8/200 of the same series I already have.

Konica AR 2.8/100mm (new version with rubber focusing grip) - I already had a copy of this one, but can't find it an more. Probaöy los last year while hiking with the AR 4/21mm and said AR 2.8/100mm ...

Both lenses haven't yet arrived; more information will follow soon.

S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTArtisans 25mm f/2 for Fuji.

Nice little lens that complements my X-E2 very well.
Surprisingly sharp in the centre the focus goes very soft in the corners only becoming ok at f8. Weirdly no f/11 stop - it jumps from 8vto 16 but I've also encountered the same on the TTArtisans 35 f/1.4 lens.
Only other real negative is the focus throw is only 90 degrees which can make pinpointing the focus a bit if a challenge.

At £69 it's cheap and cheerful and nicely compact and great for street photography.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My newest lens is the Astro-Kino VI 75mm f/2. A little known fact is the roman numerals written on Astro-Berlin projection lenses states how many optical elements is in them. The most common post-war Astro-Kino-Color is usually a IV, meaning 4 elements (in 2 groups). They look very similar to the VI series, but the VI series is very rare and is a classic double gauss design. I've dubbed this lens series as the poor mans Astro-Berlin Gauss-Tachar lens as they're from what I can tell identical optically speaking. The coating might be different tho. Earlier designs of the Astro-Kino VI also had the marking GT, meaning Gauss Tachar. What surprised me about this 75mm f/2 lens is that I can both use it on my GFX with a Kipon 0.8x M645 speedbooster adapter on it, meaning the 35mm lens equivalent would be around 47mm f/1.25.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me I should adapt my Leitz Hektor 2.5/15cm as well ... I very much the rendering of some images taken with the Hektor 1.9/73mm, and the longer 2.5/15cm would suite my need even better.

S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:

Cool, this is medium format right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
D. P. wrote:

Cool, this is medium format right?

Yes, this is a standard lens for the Norita medium format SLR camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:

Very nice - congrats! How is it optically and are you going to use it on full frame or a bigger sensor?

ostenespen wrote:

My newest lens is the Astro-Kino VI 75mm f/2. A little known fact is the roman numerals written on Astro-Berlin projection lenses states how many optical elements is in them.

Congrats! I'm sure those are great.

Didn't know that about the elements - thanks for the information! I don't have any VI lenses, but a single V one. Very fun lens, albeit with limited coverage.
[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
Very nice - congrats! How is it optically and are you going to use it on full frame or a bigger sensor?

Thank you! I'm going to use it with a Graflex Norita 6х6 film camera, and Sony mirrorless camera (I'm waiting for a Norita-Sony E adapter). I can't say anything about optical quality yet, but I have high hopes for this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon new FD 135mm f/3.5.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting for a boring standard MD 50mm f/1.7 to arrive. Comes boxed and look like new from the pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swiss made Emil Suter "Stella" 5.0/360mm for 8x10" cameras.
A great portrait lens and for landscape as well.

Very special blur with full open aperture and very good shapness when stopped down.

Another interesting piece of glass for my 8x10" camera.

Made in 1920 or so.