Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is a good screw mount M42 camera to get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Yes the lens has a auto/manual switch.It focused alright on the KR10.As long as it works on "A" camera I do not mind.So much to learn with lenses.I never thought to ask if it still had its pin or not so another lesson learned on what to ask!! Very happy with the adapter.

Hi djmike I have heard that about the spotmatics , I won't be looking at buying one even though they are beautiful looking cameras...maybe if I get more experienced. Wink

Dont worry about non-Fujica lenses getting stuck on the ST bodies. I have used just about every type of M42 on my ST bodies and I have never had a problem.

The only thing to remember when using another brand lens on the Fujica is that you have to use stop down metering.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Dont worry about non-Fujica lenses getting stuck on the ST bodies. I have used just about every type of M42 on my ST bodies and I have never had a problem.

Me neither; no problems using any lens, even the typically problematic ones like S-M-C Takumar, on ST-801. That said, in theory a lens with an ill-placed protruding, spring-loaded peg (like the Takumar) could perhaps get stuck because the ST-801 has exposed screws on the flange. But this does not apply to all Fujicas, e.g. the ST-701, ST-605(n), etc do not have these.

It's more of a problem using Fujinon lenses with the open-aperture peg on other bodies, where it may prevent the lens from being mounted properly, but this is more of a problem with M42 adapters than actual M42 bodies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Me neither; no problems using any lens, even the typically problematic ones like S-M-C Takumar, on ST-801. That said, in theory a lens with an ill-placed protruding, spring-loaded peg (like the Takumar) could perhaps get stuck because the ST-801 has exposed screws on the flange. But this does not apply to all Fujicas, e.g. the ST-701, ST-605(n), etc do not have these.

It's more of a problem using Fujinon lenses with the open-aperture peg on other bodies, where it may prevent the lens from being mounted properly, but this is more of a problem with M42 adapters than actual M42 bodies.

Arkku, thanks for explanation. Yes, the exposed screws of ST-801 sometimes stucks SMC lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Well, I dont want to disagree with you but many of the stuck lenses are caused by simply over tightening the lens to the body.

I have has several ST801's over the years and I have never had a Tak lens of any kind lock-up on a lens mount. I have three ST801's on the shelf right now and I have attached my 55 and 135 to all the bodies and have not had a single problem. Maybe I'm lucky?

Here's one of my ST801's with the 55 on it.

The lens easily attaches and unmounts as it should. I have done this thousands of times with my ST801's and have never had an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Well, I dont want to disagree with you but many of the stuck lenses are caused by simply over tightening the lens to the body.

I have has several ST801's over the years and I have never had a Tak lens of any kind lock-up on a lens mount. I have three ST801's on the shelf right now and I have attached my 55 and 135 to all the bodies and have not had a single problem. Maybe I'm lucky?

Umm, I also said that I've never had a problem mounting any lens on either of my two ST-801's. I merely speculate that rumours of lenses possibly getting stuck on an ST-801 may be due to the fact that it has exposed screws on the flange, which do cause problems with some other bodies (on which the screws may be differently positioned and/or less flush with flange).

However, your picture shows a Super Takumar, and not all of them have that tiny peg on the rear like the SMC version, which is generally the problematic one. Still, like I said, I haven't had problems with SMC or S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4 on Fujica ST-801's, but djmike seems to have had some, presumably minor, issues with this combo?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had many SLR cameras but I definitely fallen in love to Fujica ST801 don't hesitate much which one you take if you have a chance to get it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the look of it ,it may be awhile before I obtain one I have not seen many fujicas! But as we all know looking is part of the fun. Laughing
My adapter from the screw mount to the k mount is working well....I even screwed it on facing the wrong way.... Rolling Eyes Then wondered why I could not attach the lens!!! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Umm, I also said that I've never had a problem mounting any lens on either of my two ST-801's. I merely speculate that rumours of lenses possibly getting stuck on an ST-801 may be due to the fact that it has exposed screws on the flange, which do cause problems with some other bodies (on which the screws may be differently positioned and/or less flush with flange).

However, your picture shows a Super Takumar, and not all of them have that tiny peg on the rear like the SMC version, which is generally the problematic one. Still, like I said, I haven't had problems with SMC or S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4 on Fujica ST-801's, but djmike seems to have had some, presumably minor, issues with this combo?

As stated, not trying to disagree just offering another explanation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information guys,Is a zenitXP a m42 screw mount..just looking at one with a lens I would like to own/try.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Great information guys,Is a zenitXP a m42 screw mount..just looking at one with a lens I would like to own/try.

Yes, it has M42 screw mount.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Attila
If I can get it cheap enough It may be a fill in camera while I am chasing the Fujica ST-801,or just to get the lens... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Thank you Attila
If I can get it cheap enough It may be a fill in camera while I am chasing the Fujica ST-801,or just to get the lens... Laughing

Many Zenit has curtain problem , ask seller before take it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,what exactly should I ask about the curtain??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Thank you,what exactly should I ask about the curtain??

Works or not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
I have Pentax Spotmatic F 1. be sure you can have source of battery for SPF 3. buy more M42 lenses

Ha ^.^ the 3rd statement is more that true . So ok i plan to buy the Spotmatic as second m42 camera, is has the internal metering right ? the needle like the MTL i presume. But can you do without ? as i use an external light meter .. must be PX625 battery by the way .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: hi, all) Reply with quote

I have Fujica St901, its better from St801, because have Av mode.
Maybe I am wrong, and if St801 have Av then St901 is definitely not worse.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
So ok i plan to buy the Spotmatic as second m42 camera, is has the internal metering right ? the needle like the MTL i presume. But can you do without ? as i use an external light meter .. must be PX625 battery by the way .

hexi, Jes and did a long thread some time ago about Spotmatic cameras and their batteries which will help you a lot: http://forum.mflenses.com/international-teamwork-fixing-spotmatics-t7047,highlight,spotmatic.html

Basically, all the metered Spotmatic cameras before the SPF used 1.5v mercury cells, slightly lower voltage than the 1.55v silver oxide cells available today. Despite what you can read in many other places, the meters in these cameras need a 3 mA current when the needle is centred, so this means the higher voltage will move the needle slightly and indicate a shutter speed that is about 1-2 stops too fast. The SPF and later cameras have a proper bridge circuit which balances out voltage variation so they can cope perfectly with modern batteries.

Our thread shows how to modify an older Spotmatic to use modern 1.55v S357 batteries, which have a plastic collar to prevent shorting out. The SPF doesn't need any modification and you can use modern 1.55v SR44 batteries which are very easily obtained, but you will need a collar to keep the battery centred in the compartment. I found a rubber grommet which does the job perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, for Spotmatic F, akaline version of PX625 battery can be used without any problem. They may not be as readily available as LR44 or SR44, but with minimum searching...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicium777 wrote:
Alternatively, for Spotmatic F, akaline version of PX625 battery can be used without any problem. They may not be as readily available as LR44 or SR44, but with minimum searching...

Thanks for that information! I don't normally like using alkaline batteries in old cameras as the voltage output drops steadily during their lifetime, whereas the silver oxides have a much more level output similar to the old mercury batteries. The SPF can cope with this OK, until the battery is almost flat, but many other cameras have problems.

Remember to always replace the lens cap or body cap on the SPF, as the meter is energised whenever any light is detected by the photo cells and the battery runs down very quickly. This was changed to a switch in the release button in the ESII.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the SPii to the SPF for the reason that you have to turn the meter on rather than remembering to replace the lans cap or you flatten the battery.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at the title of this thread in the forum homepage, all I can see in the column on the right is:

"What is a good screw....." Confused

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
When I look at the title of this thread in the forum homepage, all I can see in the column on the right is:

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

answer:

Attila wrote:
...I definitely fallen in love to Fujica...

Fujica...sounds so good

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I prefer the SPii to the SPF for the reason that you have to turn the meter on rather than remembering to replace the lans cap or you flatten the battery.

Ah, but the leather on the SPF is soooo much sexier! Smile

You're right about the SPII, as long as the meter switch functions properly and clicks back down when you release the shutter. This is a common fault and I think I remember you saying your camera had this problem, Martin. Did you fix it OK?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won a (supposedly) working Fujica ST801 plus a beautiful leather case, a flash (supposed to work as well), plus a Sigma 28-85 f/3.5-4.5 for 25 euros. Maybe I overpaid, but the leather case alone is almost worth the money to me.