Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is a good screw mount M42 camera to get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
I just won a (supposedly) working Fujica ST801 plus a beautiful leather case, a flash (supposed to work as well), plus a Sigma 28-85 f/3.5-4.5 for 25 euros. Maybe I overpaid, but the leather case alone is almost worth the money to me.

Not overpaid at all if in working condition, study manual firs how light meter work with non Fujica lensese. It is made me a joke at first time. I rare want to keep any M42 camera this was first one what I did love for a first look..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Fujica ST801 too, in mint condition, but i wonder if i can use any m42 lens without any problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klarth wrote:
I just got a Fujica ST801 too, in mint condition, but i wonder if i can use any m42 lens without any problem.

I didn't get mine Sad

The seller refused to sell, since he got a higher bid in the meantime (after agreeing with me). Well, I think I'll go for mounting my M42 lenses to the Rebel Ti body of my dad for now Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate those kind of sellers. Being compromised with someone have no meaning for them for just a few bucks more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klarth wrote:

You shouldnt have any problems with this camera body and other M42 lenses. When using other brands of lenses you must use stop down metering.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a 701 with 2 lens for $50...BIN price but the Auto metering is not working? easy fix or not ?
85-205 3.8 Vivitar
55/1.8 Fujinon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
I can get a 701 with 2 lens for $50...BIN price but the Auto metering is not working? easy fix or not ?
85-205 3.8 Vivitar
55/1.8 Fujinon

You dont need the meter if you own a hand held meter.
Fixing the meter can be costlty, most likley more than the camera is worth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a hand held,still learning the way through the cameras meter.Thank for the advice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Fujicas get mentioned a lot in this thread here's a ST801-related question:

Is the shutter speed selector supposed to go from B to 1/2000 and vice versa? Usually these tend to be separated by a hard stop.

I got a black one in a good condition from the UK yesterday (inspired by this discussion thread no less). I have a couple of Prakticas, the main thing I think that's better with the ST801's viewfinder is that it covers more and is a bit brighter, another thing is that it seems to have a better etching/raster on the ground glass, making the whole view sharper than in, say, an Praktica MTL5/5B/50. I think in fact that the ST801's viewfinder is almost reaching the brightness level of a Nikon FM2, not bad at all.

The relative/perceived brightness of viewfinders really only matter when in very poor light where one would need fast lenses & film.

PS the meter on my ST801 agrees down to a 1/3 stop with a handheld Gossen Digiflash, not iffy at all Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Fujica st605 after reading this thread and similar ones.

It's good points are that it's cheap, small and sturdy. The viewfinder is decent, although the needle can be bit hard to read when wearing glasses. Also the fastest shutter is 1/700, but apart from that it's a very nice camera, especially for someone new to film photography =)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Edz!

I wish to see samples taken with this camera ASAP Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edz wrote:
I got a Fujica st605 after reading this thread and similar ones.

It's good points are that it's cheap, small and sturdy. The viewfinder is decent, although the needle can be bit hard to read when wearing glasses. Also the fastest shutter is 1/700, but apart from that it's a very nice camera, especially for someone new to film photography =)

My 605 N has a viewfinder more clear than my 801, it has 4 focus systems and very easy to focus in almost not light. Little cam, light, very smooth shutter, very sensible meter (1/6 of aperture). Con : perhaps a bit heavy could be better. LR44 bat.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, I'd go for a mechanical Pentax. There's lenses by the bucketful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kia ora Stan and welcome from way down there! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Seele, the CE3 is not plentiful on the bay. I like my all-black
Vivitar XC-3 that takes LR44/SR44 batteries. Almost as compact as the
Oly OM cams.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Agree with Seele, the CE3 is not plentiful on the bay. I like my all-black
Vivitar XC-3 that takes LR44/SR44 batteries. Almost as compact as the
Oly OM cams.

That is a Cosina-built one; I have a similar one badged as Petri MF-2 (not in McKeowns as far as I know), manual exposure, electronically-timed shutter, stop-down metering but with the typical Cosina arrangement of latching shutter release: press down the shutter release half way to close down iris for metering, but relaxing the pressure would not make the iris open up again; you have to press a chrome button to open it up. The Chinon design for a similar camera like the CM-3 has a much neater arrangement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar XC-2, which has a dual metering capability (averaging or spot). It has a very bright viewfinder and a lever that enables multiple exposures on a given frame. The shutter release button works as described above. I find the release a bit stiff, but acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoo wrote:
As Fujicas get mentioned a lot in this thread here's a ST801-related question:

Is the shutter speed selector supposed to go from B to 1/2000 and vice versa? Usually these tend to be separated by a hard stop.

I got a black one in a good condition from the UK yesterday (inspired by this discussion thread no less). I have a couple of Prakticas, the main thing I think that's better with the ST801's viewfinder is that it covers more and is a bit brighter, another thing is that it seems to have a better etching/raster on the ground glass, making the whole view sharper than in, say, an Praktica MTL5/5B/50. I think in fact that the ST801's viewfinder is almost reaching the brightness level of a Nikon FM2, not bad at all.

The relative/perceived brightness of viewfinders really only matter when in very poor light where one would need fast lenses & film.

PS the meter on my ST801 agrees down to a 1/3 stop with a handheld Gossen Digiflash, not iffy at all Smile

You should have clickable stops between your shutter speeds on the 801.

I disagree with your argument on the bright viewfinder. A bright viewfinder is great in any situation, a big bright viewfinder is a plus on any camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there noone mentioned the bessaflex. It is younger and lighter, but fun to use. You can still find brand new ones, they are quite rare though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
I prefer the SPii to the SPF for the reason that you have to turn the meter on rather than remembering to replace the lans cap or you flatten the battery.

Ah, but the leather on the SPF is soooo much sexier! Smile

You're right about the SPII, as long as the meter switch functions properly and clicks back down when you release the shutter. This is a common fault and I think I remember you saying your camera had this problem, Martin. Did you fix it OK?

I just realised I haven't answered this. Sorry Peter!

No, I haven't fixed it. It works fine except in really cold weather (near freezing). I just remember now to check or turn it off before I take the shot (or use another camera on cold days).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qqbingbing wrote:
Why is there noone mentioned the bessaflex. It is younger and lighter, but fun to use. You can still find brand new ones, they are quite rare though.

Yes, but it can be up to 10× the price of a good Fujica…

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up settling for a Ricoh Singlex TLS...away getting a clean and service...still looking for the elusive fujica st801...not many on oz bay.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klarth wrote:
I hate those kind of sellers. Being compromised with someone have no meaning for them for just a few bucks more.

True, but in a few days I will get a nice M42 SLR; a Spotmatic SPii Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
qqbingbing wrote:

May not be that pricy.There are not many good fujis on ebay as well, also mostly they are over 100GBP. I just got a black bessaflex on the way, comes with a jupiter 9 lens, it's 400USD overall. So I would think it's a fair price. But you may find it's a little more diffcult to find.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
qqbingbing wrote:

May not be that pricy.There are not many good fujis on ebay as well, also mostly they are over 100GBP. I just got a black bessaflex on the way, comes with a jupiter 9 lens, it's 400USD overall. So I would think it's a fair price. But you may find it's a little more diffcult to find.