Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question guys, how do you adapt these Medium format lenses to modern EF(-S) bodies? I guess you are just using the proper Kiev body..

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Pentacon six adapter Smile £15.00 on ebay...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year ago I regressed from my 85/F2 Nikkor-AIS that I got back in the 80s from Nikon when I was selling them...as a replacement for my aging (10 year old Wink ) 85/F1.8....
I know, I know....so you don't have to say so....Why...why?
....so got that 1.8 back....a beater, but one that took great photos...
....and then...
A couple of months ago I found a very, very nice 85/1.8-H that had been used for video work (as I deduce from the attachment to the focusing ring that would allow a rod or stem to come out from it so it could be grasped and rotated by a 3rd hand...the stem since removed, leaving the holes you see here below)....

...other than that "surgery" the lens is in near mint condition and I expected to AI modify it for the day it would be born again and mated to a Nikon...Since one ring was already drilled, another cut, to the aperture ring, didn't seem too destructive...

[I'd been patiently looking for AI mount lenses, in case I get a Nikon to go with my Canons, and after modifying the 85 all but my 135/2.8 would be ready for 'the dark side']

...And then I came across this "K" version that had already been factory modified BY Nikon itself...and I had to get it!

...BUT...I had to get 2 other lenses a 105/2.5 AI and 55/2.8 AIS Micro, and an FE with it...all classics of course, AND ALL MINT....
I know, I know, so you don't have to say so...
KEEP THEM ALL....keep them all....

...but I already have the 105/2.5-AIS, a beater FE, and a Nikon close-up tube for all my Nikkor primes...and I can't really afford to collect (hoard) all the nice gear I find...

so....to keep the "K" I sold the rest of the set, and my old "H"...for what I paid for the set...so an even swap...

My new K and older H....

....a 100% edge crop from the old H...just to remind me what I gave up...a 100% crop....from the edge!

Last edited by mfkita on Tue May 03, 2011 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so impressed with the images Attila produced with his Schacht Travegar 3.3/100 than when I saw a 3.5/75 Travegar for 3.99 I figured 'why not'...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160576979640&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

No idea if the version I just bought is any good or not but will be fun trying it.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a beautiful Flektogon 50mm F4 (leatherette finish) with slightly scratched front element for mere 38$ Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I picked up an Exc+ Yashica DX 50mm f/1.7 at a pawn shop for $10. I figure it was worth it. Nice lens from the pics I've shot so far.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just won another Minolta lens. Smile Minolta TC 135mm f4 preset lens with original hood, caps, and case. They were made between 1960 and 1969.
Looking foward to testing this one. This is the Tele version not the more rare bellows version.

Winning bid $2.25 USD. Very Happy

Last edited by walter g on Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't spend this much on lenses, but I saw three recent e.bay sales that I couldn't pass up. The total, after coupon discounts but with shipping, was $292.94. For that princely sum, I got:

Nikkor 85mm f1.8 AF
Nikkor 35-105mm AF
Vivitar 105mm T4
Soligor 35mm T4
Sigma 70-300mm APO
Sears 28-70mm (anybody know who would have made that?)

Nikon SB-25 Speedlight

Nikon EM
Nikon N5005
Nikon N6006 (but broken/gone battery door -- anybody want this?)

Tenba camera bag
Nikon camera bag

Three rolls of film, plus miscellaneous bits.

One question on the Sigma. It had obviously been sitting for some time, and the plastic in the barrel has deteriorated and is very soft and sticky. Anybody know a remedy? It actually takes pretty sharp pictures.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good haul, gaeger.

As for your Sigma -- IVe never owned any of the later model Sigmas that seem to exhibit this problem, but this is a common problem with them, so don't feel all so alone.

I have an old Metz 60CT-1 flash, and some of its cords are doing this. My brother in law has worked in the plastics industry for his entire working life, so I asked him recently if there was anything that could be done about this, and he said not really. That once the plastic gets to this point where it begins to deteriorate that there's not much that can be done to stop it, and the best treatment is to just try and clean it regularly. Which is what I do with my Metz's cables -- I try wiping them down with lint-free rags and isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol doesn't act as a preventative, but it does make the cleaning process easier.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just won another Minolta lens. Minolta TC 135mm f4 preset lens with original hood, caps, and case. They were made between 1960 and 1969.
Looking foward to testing this one. This is the Tele version not the more rare bellows version.

Walter, that is a very nice lens, much better then you would expect from a simple triplet! I have that bellows version since 1965 and still use it from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Quote:
Just won another Minolta lens. Minolta TC 135mm f4 preset lens with original hood, caps, and case. They were made between 1960 and 1969.

Walter, that is a very nice lens, much better then you would expect from a simple triplet! I have that bellows version since 1965 and still use it from time to time.

Thank You. I'm really looking foward to getting and using this lens. I will post test results in this thread after I get it.
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rokkor-tc-135mm-f4-t39222.html

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a recent trip down the Izu peninsula (Japan) to the Spa town of Shimoda. I came across a fantastic little camera shop called Camera House. The owner had a spare ai 35/2.8 he couldn't sell because it had a little scratch on the front element so he gave it to me free of charge.

Here it is

I went back the next day to say thanks and to pick up a roll of film. I ended grabbing a sp35-210 with nikon mount for 1500 yen.

I highly recommend a visit to Camera House if you find yourself at the bottom Izu. The owner has a huge amount of knowledge and lots of interesting old cameras and lenses.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: great discovery Reply with quote

Izu is a wonderful place for photography...

I took a couple of days to tour the peninsula back in the 1990s...driving down the coast and up the middle of the countryside...

I felt like Hiroshige, looking over my shoulder and seeing Mt. Fuji in my rearview mirror and out my back window in so many different settings as I drove south down the west coast...

oh, and great find on the gear too!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT "deal" on the Nikkor! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: great discovery Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:
I felt like Hiroshige, looking over my shoulder and seeing Mt. Fuji in my rearview mirror and out my back window in so many different settings as I drove south down the west coast...

Sounds great, but how about some pictures? Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well, to me this was a good deal, all things considered. I've had my eye out for a very early Nikon F with the original non-TTL Photomic finder for quite a while, and if it's a clean example it always seems to get bid up too high on feeBay. But this time it didn't happen.

Click here to see on Ebay

As you can see from the photos, this is a nice, clean example. I've seen these early Fs going from $300 to over $1,000 on the Bay recently, so I was really surprised when there was no last second sniping activity.

I asked the guy if the meter worked, and he said he put batteries in it, but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one. I'll let y'all know more when it arrives.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Okay, well, to me this was a good deal, all things considered. I've had my eye out for a very early Nikon F with the original non-TTL Photomic finder for quite a while, and if it's a clean example it always seems to get bid up too high on feeBay. But this time it didn't happen.

Click here to see on Ebay

As you can see from the photos, this is a nice, clean example. I've seen these early Fs going from $300 to over $1,000 on the Bay recently, so I was really surprised when there was no last second sniping activity.

I asked the guy if the meter worked, and he said he put batteries in it, but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one. I'll let y'all know more when it arrives.

Nice, are you going to be using it to shoot some film?

I still have my Oly OM10 and Pentax ME Super, both work fine, I haven't shot a film in many years but just can't bring myself to part with them!

The one camera I wish still worked is my Zenit-3M, it needs a new shutter though, sadly...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan 26 2011- i paid 15 euro for a nice working olymp XA with only dust, without flash- in a flea market in Frankfurt: was it a great bargin ?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlesyu wrote:
Jan 26 2011- i paid 15 euro for a nice working olymp XA with only dust, without flash- in a flea market in Frankfurt: was it a great bargin ?
as i see dumb prices on ebay i must admit it is a very nice deal Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last flea markets were pretty good for me Smile

Here my 30 Euro deals:

I got an old Contax IIa ColorDial with Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50/2.0:
http://forum.mflenses.com/zeiss-ikon-contax-iia-and-zeiss-jena-sonnar-50mm-2-0-t38971.html

The lens has some fungus on the front lens, and the camera seems to have problems with the 1/1250s shutter time, but it looks pretty fine for me Smile

Interessting thing here: I got that at 10-11 AM - pretty late one could think for good buys. Mostly the flea market sellers start to sell at 7 or 8 AM.

A Zeiss Jena Flektogon 25mm/4 (Zebra, Exakta mount) with a dent on the filter ring I.
Excellent near field quality - now I bought an Exakta-EOS adapter and wait..

And I got 3 pieces 16mm film projection lenses, think about using them for micro work.
Isco 50mm/1.2
Som Berthiot 75mm/1.8
Astro (Berlin) 50mm/1.5

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Nice, are you going to be using it to shoot some film?

I still have my Oly OM10 and Pentax ME Super, both work fine, I haven't shot a film in many years but just can't bring myself to part with them!

Yeah, I'll put some film through it just to see how it performs. I've never really been a big fan of the Nikon F, but I've always just liked the looks and the added gadgetry of the early F with its non-TTL finder, the angle of acceptance restrictor, and all.

Your film cameras need to be used. We must keep the film industry alive and all.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the F arrived today, in better than expected condition. Haven't adapted a 675 battery to fit its compartment yet, but I'll figure something out.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, the F arrived today, in better than expected condition. Haven't adapted a 675 battery to fit its compartment yet, but I'll figure something out.

I remember reading an article where the war photographers used to joke that when in danger of being shot at, you could just hide behind your Nikon F!

Lots of metal in that beast, like you I've always wanted one just to have one.

My own bargain today was a excellent condition Meyer Primagon 4.5/35 in M42 with all chrome body for 39ukp inc shipping from Germany. They usually go for 2-3x that. It's a '1Q' version, whatever that means...

http://forum.mflenses.com/guess-the-lens-35mm-t39448.html

Wide open it's razor sharp:

Nice vintage colours too:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I remember reading an article where the war photographers used to joke that when in danger of being shot at, you could just hide behind your Nikon F!

Often jokes like this are based on at least a bit of truth. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened. Probably more than once. And it probably made all those guys shooting the itty-bitty rangefinders ponder switching.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Often jokes like this are based on at least a bit of truth. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened. Probably more than once. And it probably made all those guys shooting the itty-bitty rangefinders ponder switching.

I expect a grain of truth does lie within.

I know a Nikon F presents a much larger target than any Leica or Yashica Electro...