Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Guess the lens - 35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Guess the lens - 35mm Reply with quote

Hi folks

Picked up an old 35mm lens the other day, not one I knew much about.

Weather is rotten here, constant rain. Managed to snap these test shots during a brief break in the rainfall.

All wide open, I'm surprised how sharp this lens is.

Only clues I'll give are these: it's got a focal length of 35mm and it's in M42.

Just want to see what people think it is and what they think of it's quality without any bias, hence I'm asking you to guess!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Chinon?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8andbethere wrote:
Auto Chinon?

Nope, sorry, not even close.

What do you think of the overall IQ?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is busy.

No sun, so hard to comment on CA or flare.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8andbethere wrote:
Bokeh is busy.

No sun, so hard to comment on CA or flare.

Yeah, I'm dying for the sun to appear so I can take some more shots, not seen the sun in over a week!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 35/2.8? Smile

edit: ah, scrap that. just noticed now that it's an M42 lens

Last edited by symphonic on Tue May 17, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it well known? Primagon? I'm just guessing! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea about the lens, but I really like the 'vintage' colors of the first crop, the bokeh complements this vintage look very very well

Last edited by kuuan on Tue May 17, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Is it well known? Primagon? I'm just guessing! Laughing

Damn, I was hoping it would take a bit longer than that!

It's a Meyer Primagon 4.5/35

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: too late!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
no idea about the lens, but I really like the 'vintage' colors of above all the second photo, and think that the 'busy' bokeh complements this vintage look very very well

I think it's quite similar in overall look to my much later Pentacon 2.8/28.

These were shot wide open with the Pentacon:

I like my Meyer/Pentacon lenses (apart from the Domiplan and Primotar) hence I'm collecting them. An Oreston 1.8/50 also arrived today, will test that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking lens! I'm starting to worry that I'm consumed too much lens information over the past 2.5 years though Confused Laughing

I haven't seen one of those in M42 mount for quite a while, good catch!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Good looking lens! I'm starting to worry that I'm consumed too much lens information over the past 2.5 years though Confused Laughing

I can't afford to collect Zeiss DDR glass let alone Zeiss T* so I decided to collect Meyer/Pentacon lenses. This was because I really liked the PB mount Pentacon 1.8/50 and 2.8/28 so much I converted them to EOS mount. Then I got a Pentacon 4/200 M42 cheap that is really nice, I added a Primotar 3.5/135 a couple of weeks back for 13ukp but it's not very sharp, nice bokeh though.

I paid 39ukp for this Primagon inc shipping from Germany and it's in excellent condition, focus and aperture are really smooth, glass looks near perfect, I really like the ergonomics too, all metal rings, no plastic at all. I think that's a good price as they seem to usually go for 2-3x that price, same money as a Flektogon 35.

I always thought Meyer lenses were nothing special as I had a Domiplan many moons ago and it was crap and even cheaper that the Tessar 2.8/50 or Helios-44 as options with a Praktica M42 SLR (which I had a few of) so I thought Meyer were even cheaper than Zeiss DDR's budget stuff (2.8/50 Tessar).

Now I've tried a few more Meyer lenses I really like them, most of them are sharp and all have interesting character, and for me, character is what it's all about.

How would people say this Primagon compares to the Flektogon 35? Now I have a Primagon do I still need to save up for a Flek?

I also have a Mir-1 37mm on the way, cost me 22ukp, I figure between the Mir and the Primagon, I will have a nice pair of 'normal' length lenses as I have a APS-C sensor EOS 10D and 50s are mild telephotos due to the 1.5x crop factor.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW did anyone spot the clue in the last pic?

Meyer Trioplan lens on the Pentona II, a subtle clue...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the Lydith? Now IMO that's a great lens!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Do you have the Lydith? Now IMO that's a great lens!

No, I love my Pentacon 2.9/28 so if the Lydith is similar I'll like it. There is the Pentacon 2.8/29 as well, no idea how the three differ in optical formula.

Did Meyer ever do a wider lens than the Lydith? They seem to have made a few lenses of similar length - 30mm Lydth, 35mm Primagon, 40mm Helioplan, 45mm Trioplan etc but never seen anything wider than the 2.8/28 Pentacon I already have.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I can't afford to collect Zeiss DDR glass let alone Zeiss T* so I decided to collect Meyer/Pentacon lenses. This was because I really liked the PB mount Pentacon 1.8/50 and 2.8/28 so much I converted them to EOS mount. Then I got a Pentacon 4/200 M42 cheap that is really nice, I added a Primotar 3.5/135 a couple of weeks back for 13ukp but it's not very sharp, nice bokeh though.

I paid 39ukp for this Primagon inc shipping from Germany and it's in excellent condition, focus and aperture are really smooth, glass looks near perfect, I really like the ergonomics too, all metal rings, no plastic at all. I think that's a good price as they seem to usually go for 2-3x that price, same money as a Flektogon 35.

I always thought Meyer lenses were nothing special as I had a Domiplan many moons ago and it was crap and even cheaper that the Tessar 2.8/50 or Helios-44 as options with a Praktica M42 SLR (which I had a few of) so I thought Meyer were even cheaper than Zeiss DDR's budget stuff (2.8/50 Tessar).

Now I've tried a few more Meyer lenses I really like them, most of them are sharp and all have interesting character, and for me, character is what it's all about.

How would people say this Primagon compares to the Flektogon 35? Now I have a Primagon do I still need to save up for a Flek?

I also have a Mir-1 37mm on the way, cost me 22ukp, I figure between the Mir and the Primagon, I will have a nice pair of 'normal' length lenses as I have a APS-C sensor EOS 10D and 50s are mild telephotos due to the 1.5x crop factor.

It's fun achieving results near (quite a few times equal) to the guys with very expensive lenses with inexpensive lenses...I've never paid over £30 for a 35mm lens (yeah alright no jokes about my shots posted show it).