Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the greatest bargain but I was pleased. A Derek Gardner 135 f2.8 lens in MD fitting and a Vivitar 283 for £15.

The lens was only £5 and in my preferred mount so I got it. The 283 is my favourite flashgun of all time. A proper workhorse and a choice of 4 apertures to use. The remote sensor allows me to use the flash on a reflector and get perfect exposures. I have has several over the years and sold them on. This one is a keeper.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beautiful set you have there, flaviomaia. And I would say you got it for a very good price, considering its condition. Incidentally, your flash coupler isn't just the plain old ordinary coupler for the Nikon F. It's the AS-1, which fits the F2 also. That piece alone typically sells for $20 or so. The Vivitar zoom is basically just a doorstop. It will cost you more money to have it repaired than it's worth -- probably quite a bit more.

Phil, I gotta agree about the 283. Back in the 80s, that was THE press corps workhorse. I've always preferred the 285 because of its zoom head, but other than that, the two flashes are identical.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
...Phil, I gotta agree about the 283. Back in the 80s, that was THE press corps workhorse. I've always preferred the 285 because of its zoom head, but other than that, the two flashes are identical.

Thanks Michael I bought the first 283 in the 70's it cost £39.99 long before the 285. I have had a 285 sometime in the past (borrowed from the shop I worked in). The zoom and varipower control were of no interest to me as I would never use them. I needed max power all the time. The 283 has a powerful flash and you can get 40 feet at f2.8 with perfect exposure. I mainly used it with a brolly as part of a portable studio set up, long before cheap 'studio' strobes. I have a safesync and now I'll use it with my current brace of Nikons and my NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An East German Duo for £25

A CJZ S 135 f2.8 with the super serial and a Pentacon 29mm f2.8, both M42, the Pentacon came with an EOS adapter. It has a small dent in the filter ring but appears to be in good shape otherwise. I know the 135 has a great rep but what about the 29mm?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
That's a beautiful set you have there, flaviomaia. And I would say you got it for a very good price, considering its condition. Incidentally, your flash coupler isn't just the plain old ordinary coupler for the Nikon F. It's the AS-1, which fits the F2 also. That piece alone typically sells for $20 or so. The Vivitar zoom is basically just a doorstop. It will cost you more money to have it repaired than it's worth -- probably quite a bit more.

Thank you for the advice. It's really a shame because of its beautiful exterior condition Sad

philslizzy wrote:
An East German Duo for £25
A CJZ S 135 f2.8 with the super serial and a Pentacon 29mm f2.8, both M42, the Pentacon came with an EOS adapter. It has a small dent in the filter ring but appears to be in good shape otherwise. I know the 135 has a great rep but what about the 29mm?

I've read a lot of times about sample variation of the pentacon 29/2.8. Some of them decentered and very soft edges. Never owned one though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's a bargain,or just a cheapie, but looking in on a new junk shop my eye caught a glimpse of a lens case at the back.

£3 has secured a Photax-Paragon 135mm f/2.8 - on the basis you can never have too many 135mm lenses. Optics are visually flawless, the case (with broken hinge) has protected the elements despite the front element being AWOL. The aperture is persistently asymmetric when stopped down, unsure yet whether this is a design feature or a fault. Just need the fog to lift to give it a test.

Attached to the strap is a smaller case with a freebie Helios Auto Tele Converter x2. I presume they all came in with the Zenit EM Mosha I left behind on the shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not the biggest bargain, but i am more than happy.
Got a Super Tak 50/1.4 with both lens caps and a
Super Tak 105/2.8 with both lens caps and orig. Lens Hood.
Both in near mint condition together for 100€.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a super bargain, but I got a Contax Planar 100/2 in excellent condition for 620 swiss francs at a local auction site. Which, I think it is a good price (200 less than ebay).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the prices these lenses are fetching these days I got a pretty good deal

MEYER PRIMOPLAN 58 1.9 + praktica FX3

13.99 USD shipped.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great find! Congrats.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in the screaming bargain category, but I have just picked up a decent Zeiss 300 f/4 Tele-Tessar for £199. It's my Christmas present to myself. Made better by the fact it's an MM version an (though I know this doesn't really matter...) and the fact it's my first 'Made in West Germany' Zeiss.

Last edited by barryreid on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica hexanon AR UC 15mm f2.8 rectilinear $675. not in bargain category? but for this YES, they can go for over $1000 and may be not in this condition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atarget..Nice lens but it is a fish eye,mine is a rectilinear BIG difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice catch Kryss!

awesome beautiful looking Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hoanpham,can't wait for it to arrive,will post pics asap.Regards and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either you gave wrong info or your eyesight is failing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kryss,
Merry Chrismas and Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Looking forward to see samples from this beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atarget..

Well I guess you get what you pay for,I still prefer one of mine to two of yours.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryss and atarget -- if you look at the photos at Amazon closely, you can see that Amazon messed up. Samyang/Rokinon has both a 14mm f/2.8 rectilinear and a 14mm f/2.8 fisheye that sell for the same price. And the geniuses at Amazon have posted images of both lenses there with the listing for the rectilinear. It is obviously a rectilinear lens -- you can tell this by scrolling down some to look at the example images. They're obviously not fisheye images.

As to which is better, the Samyang or the Hexanon, well these new high-performance Samyangs have been garnering some excellent reviews, but the Hexanon probably has the edge -- at twice the price, though, even for that heavily discounted optic that Kryss snagged.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Topcor UV 53mm f2 Reply with quote

Topcor UV 53mm f2

not sure if you could consider this a bargain, got it for $20 together with a Topcon Uni body but unable to use it because could not find the correct adapter for my Sony Nex camera.
Got it with a vintage Photape Cross filter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal on the Konica!

Still wouldn't swap my Samyang 14/2.8 for any other ultra-wide...it's eye bleedingly sharp from wide open Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's bargain. 5£ each.

Kjell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belcanto wrote:
Today's bargain. 5£ each.

Kjell

Great work!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for those two.
Normal prices are a bit high.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, Belcanto, what a deal. Got a Contax to attach them to?