Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
guardian wrote:
mo wrote:
Laughing For the total price you paid I think it's a good buy regardless of the mysterious "green line".perhaps someone else can speculate as to what it is....I am hoping for its just a reflection.

Yeah, me too. Fer shure!

I hope the front element is not deeply scratched or cracked.

I've been burned prior by Polyanna sellers. And this is a Polyanna seller if ever I've seen one! You never know with that ilk.

Still, as you point out, tough to pass up this lens for that money. I actually bid circa US$20 since I did not notice the green line. This one is gonna be a nail biter until it shows up.

The green line looks like a cracked UV filter.

That's certainly possible. But at this point it appears unlikely I'll ever learn what it is:

http://forum.mflenses.com/ebay-buyers-avoid-sellers-who-are-convicted-sex-offenders-t62923.html

Sad

I think I need a new hobby. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
Bought an Olympus 55/1.2 with oily aperture blades for 75 $, cleaned it up and sold it for 375 $...

Well, first of all: CONGRATS! That's absolutely fantastic stuff!! Very Happy

Now descending into the weeds:

Strictly entre nous, and realizing only a couple of us are reading this Wink :

Did you do right by your buyer by relubing the lens. Cause otherwise the existing (old) broken-down lube is likely, sooner than later, just to migrate once again onto those blades.

Just curious. Inquiring minds want to know. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

Well, first of all: CONGRATS! That's absolutely fantastic stuff!!

Now descending into the weeds:
Did you do right by your buyer by relubing the lens. Cause otherwise the existing (old) broken-down lube is likely, sooner than later, just to migrate once again onto those blades.

Just curious. Inquiring minds want to know. Laughing

Thank you. No, I did not regrease the lens. I didn´t realize that the grease would come back so soon (after all, it took 40-some years for it to get to the state it was when I got it, so I figured it would be good for at least 20 years after I was done cleaning it). As much as I like tinkering with lenses (cleaning glass and apertures, mostly), I don´t feel confident enough to regrease the helicoids. I have managed it once (on a 55/2.8 micro-Nikkor), but also ruined a 135/3.2 Konica when dismantling too much for me to be able to get it back. Lesson learned; I generally stay away from helicoids.

That being said, should he get back to me (within a reasonable time, not ten years from now) and say that the aperture is completely seized up I would refund his money, no questions asked.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
Not MF but I picked up a Minolta 9000 AF with Motor Drive and a bunch of Minolta AF lenses - Beercan 70-210, Big Beercan 75-300,50mm 1.7 AF, 135m 2.8 AF, Sigma 400 5.6 and Sigma 600 f8 mirror in a local ad for £180. All cased, hoods, filters etc. in a local ad from a guy who wasn`t into it anymore.

I sold the big two Sigmas on ebay for a combined total of around £230!

what a great deal, well done! those beercans are great lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, recently I took a risk on eBay and bought broken Edixa Prismat with some accessories and 3 unknown zebras. Which turned out to be Schneider Curtagon 35/2.8, Xenon 50/1.9 and Tele-Xenar 135/3.5. Xenar suffers from fungus, others are good. 109 Eur - not really a steal-deal, but good enough Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piktuolis wrote:
Hello, recently I took a risk on eBay and bought broken Edixa Prismat with some accessories and 3 unknown zebras. Which turned out to be Schneider Curtagon 35/2.8, Xenon 50/1.9 and Tele-Xenar 135/3.5. Xenar suffers from fungus, others are good. 109 Eur - not really a steal-deal, but good enough Smile

I was looking at that and mis timed the end of the auction it was finished when i went to bid!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
Not MF but I picked up a Minolta 9000 AF with Motor Drive and a bunch of Minolta AF lenses - Beercan 70-210, Big Beercan 75-300,50mm 1.7 AF, 135m 2.8 AF, Sigma 400 5.6 and Sigma 600 f8 mirror in a local ad for £180. All cased, hoods, filters etc. in a local ad from a guy who wasn`t into it anymore.

What a deal. You know, here in the States, that big Sigma routinely sells for $300+, especially if it's in a desirable mount. And I would argue that, because of the Sony Alpha's increasing popularity, the Minolta Maxxum/Sony Alpha mount is a desirable one. So even though you made a nice tidy profit, and have wound up with a basketful of Maxxum AF goodies for free, whoever bought those two lenses from you also found quite a deal too!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
Bought an Olympus 55/1.2 with oily aperture blades for 75 $, cleaned it up and sold it for 375 $...

Noice! Good on ya, mate!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 135mm f3.5 Carl Zeiss Jena MC S M42 screw for £1-00 at my Camera club auction and it is very sharp ! I did some portraits with it at my Club for a demonstration and processed and printed the results same evening .

Tony by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Linda 02 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, outdated Ilford Delta 100 processed in FX37 1+3 for 6 mins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Macca wrote:

What a deal. You know, here in the States, that big Sigma routinely sells for $300+, especially if it's in a desirable mount. And I would argue that, because of the Sony Alpha's increasing popularity, the Minolta Maxxum/Sony Alpha mount is a desirable one. So even though you made a nice tidy profit, and have wound up with a basketful of Maxxum AF goodies for free, whoever bought those two lenses from you also found quite a deal too!

Thanks it was the non APO version in olive so not worth quite so much here though they are creeping up in price. The real bargain is the 135mm 2.8 , it regularly goes for over £200 here, I`ve not been tempted to sell it as yet as it has wonderful colours and is different enough from my other 135mm`s to make me want to keep it. I don`t have many AF primes but it`s a treat for shooting the kids outdoors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another walk in the Market. At the house clearance stall I was looking in the box to see if there was anything new when the guy said "There's another box of camera stuff over there!". In the box was a Yashica Lynx RF, which I passed on, another Retinette 1B, but not as well preserved as the one I got the other week, and a Minolta MD W.Rokkor 2.8/28. The lens has signs of use and some white specks of powder or dust inside the front element, but the diaphragm and rings were as they should be. I pointed out the marks and dust and asked the price.
"Is £10 too much?"
"Yes - it's a bit of a risk"
"How about £5?"
"I don't think I want to risk it"
"£4 then?"
"OK"

I'm looking forward to giving this one a go. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing amazing lately, but I got a Sears KS Super (Ricoh XR-6) with a Sears 50mm f2 for $2. Lens had fungus and dust, but is a simple and easy design that took 15 minutes to clean up. Also came with a small flash, but it has a high trigger voltage.

The body occasionally works, will meter and the shutter fires a few times, but then appears to stop working entirely. If I let it sit and turn it back on it will sometimes work a few times, then die. Might be a dirty or loose connection inside somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Most lens for the ££ ?? Reply with quote

Pentacon 300mm f4 in original box, mint, for £40 plus post all 2kg+ of it (thats what I meant by "most lens"....

If the weather improves I'll actually start to check it out.... : Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 - €17 (incl. camera)
CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4 - €10
Meyer Görlitz Orestegor 200/4 - €5

Plenty of €5 lenses such as: Helios 58/2, Takumar 55/1.8, Chinon 135/2.8

The biggest bargain, however, I recently missed. It was a Minolta RF Rokkor 250/5.6 which was sold for €50. Ebay price is about €700 to €800.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great deals there!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick232: There do you come from?
very nice bargain.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a shop in a near by town with dozens of old cameras.

Picked up the following for $60

FERRANIA EURA with case a flash mint
yashica A tlr camera two of them mint, I really love TLR's
A broken nikkormat with a working micro 55mm 3.5 attached;)
A zeiss movika the one with the built in light meter
A tatty kodak No 3 A folder camera

At a point where i promised myself to stop buying more but i couldnt resist considering the prices!! Was quite pleased with the haul.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week:

vivitar 3.5/4.5 - 28-105 Macro Focusing zoom MC no.77......... PK-mount 20 euro's

tamron 4.5 - 21mm auto tamron M42 15 euro's

pentacon 2.8 - 135 MC auto M42 15 euro's

all EX+ condition Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay.de
Focotar IIa with two Leitz enlarger (Focotar 9.5cm/4.5 and Elmar 50/3.5) lenses for 130€
Not an ultra bargain like some other people here recently had but I've seen the same enlarger going for 500€ and more.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest bargain lens I've seen - it's just so undervalued - a Tamron-F 28mm F2.8. I picked this up for $9 from KEH in excellent condition.

This lens is built well, focuses smoothly, and is sharper than I thought it should be. I got this because it was 9 dollars, but reached for it because I couldn't find my other wide. Now, I'm confused why I bought the other wide...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atarget wrote:
beomagi wrote:
Biggest bargain lens I've seen - it's just so undervalued - a Tamron-F 28mm F2.8. I picked this up for $9 from KEH in excellent condition.

This lens is built well, focuses smoothly, and is sharper than I thought it should be. I got this because it was 9 dollars, but reached for it because I couldn't find my other wide. Now, I'm confused why I bought the other wide...

KEH charge flat rate of $10 for shipping. You pay $10 if you buy one lens and you pay $10 if you order 20 lenses. That's why I do not order from them too often. I just wait till enough "wishes" are accumulated. Hope that $9 for your Tamron didn't turn into $19. Wink
Also, check www.shopgoodwill.com It's an auction site but much less crowded, than ebay. They sell donations = usually junk but you can find a pearl every once in a while.

Thanks dude. I'll have to check them out. I was buying a couple other lenses when I saw it. Looked at the price and decided well, why not? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell ya what, there are quite a few photographers who keep an eye on shopgoodwill.com. Whenever a really nice example turns up, it get's bid up pretty quickly -- often higher than what I see a similar object selling for on eBay. Nonetheless, I like to kind of keep tabs on its goings on. I've bought several items off shopgoodwill that I felt were good bargains.

ONe nice thing about it is you can scan through all the photo listings so you have an exposure to a wide variety of items -- yeah sure it'll take a while, but it's doable. But this is something you can't do on eBay because eBay is just too big. Shopgoodwill may have a couple thousand photographic items at any one time, whereas eBay may have a couple million.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Tamron Adaptall 300mm Reply with quote

On eBay last week was a Tamron Adaptall (CT-300), 300mm f/5.6 with Nikon Adaptall mount (which is what I shoot). I was the only bidder at $9.99, with $4.99 shipping. It came this weekend, and although, I wouldn't call it "mint", I'd say it was close to "excellent". It's a slim (58mm filter thread) and light weight balances and focuses very nicely on my D40.

I've had an all manual focus lens shooting weekend! Shot lots of picts of the ice storm here on the D300 with Nikkor 50mm, f/1.4, then with the D40 with the Tamron 300mm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron Adaptall 300mm Reply with quote

schen wrote:
I was the only bidder at $9.99, with $4.99 shipping.

Doncha just love it when that happens? I've had it happen to me with eBay items ranging in price from $25 to $2200. Yep. Yeah, in case you're wondering, the $2200 item was a '74 Norton 850 Commando. It was a steal at that price and I still can't believe I was the only person who bid on it. Cool Oh, and the $25 item was a Vivitar S1 28-105, which was also a really good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Nikon F Photomic FTn "Apollo" with a Nikkor-S 35/2.8, Nikkor-S.C 50/1.4 and a Vivitar 85-205/3.8, everything with hard cases and the flash adaptor for the F for 200€.
Excluding the Vivitar, which has some haze, everything is in Exc condition. The nikkors don't have a single mark on it and the camera only has a small mark near the lens release button. The vivitar has a nice solid feel, it is in exc cosmetic condition and even came with the screw in lever for the zoom ring. It's a shame it has haze... Is it worth cleaning?

Not a bargain like yours but I think it is a good deal.