Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extreme backlight (post your images)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Extreme backlight (post your images) Reply with quote

I was torture testing my Meyer Primotar for relax Very Happy and I had the idea, why not open a thread to post images of extreme backlight.
Extreme backlight is often a torture test for many lenses. But it could be interesting to see creative uses of it.
This example test of mine has no artistic value, just gives the idea.

I will look in my past photos to see if I can find some nice backlight photo.
Please do the same or make new ones!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there will be some different ideas about ‘Extreme backlight’?
Personally I think it should obviously have the main source of light shinning towards the camera, but I also believe it should not include too many blown highlights of any flare haze. A degree of lenes flare can look good if included for its artistic merit
Are silhouettes ‘Extreme’ backlight? They are backlight but is it extreme?
I’m not so sure I like the idea of Extreme, unless it is just a lens test?

Is this extreme enough? Maybe by its definition ‘Extreme has to be experimental?
Shot with a Cokin filter

One far more ‘Normal’ I titled it Cold fog Romance (Very pretentious!) That's ice the sun is reflecting off.
A big blown highlight, those here in England might not recognise the Sun

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Fri May 30, 2008 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that for extreme I just meant "not balanced".
As it's common practice to balance shadows with fill flash, reflectors etc. when shooting backlight.

I really like your second image, although I seem to notice some colour artifacts in the misty areas (from jpg compression?).
I like that the figures are not plain outlines, and neither light filled, just that little bit that makes them readable without making them obvious.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Here's a case for extreme backlighting being a relative concept. For the faded, fogged up uncoated lens on our '37 Franka, almost ANY light is extreme!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is unbalanced. Crap lens I could not get one decent exposure in these conditions.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessar 40/4.5, probably uncoated or just single coated. Don't remember the aperture. Saturation and contrast enhanced in Lightroom, base IQ was very fine though.

Last edited by A G Photography on Fri May 30, 2008 6:08 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are not really extreme. Sad

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/mvm_37.jpg
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/mvm_40.jpg
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/mvm_50.jpg

I need to practice this topic. I have explored it little, while I think it could be interesting,.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silhouette

?? Sorry my mistake that’s ‘Back Wash’ not Backlight!!!
Fuji HD 35mm ‘Heavy duty waterproof shockproof’
Even when fighting a storm, Never stop taking photos!
A good excuse to show an old film camera!

Somebody asked about lenses for doing 'Windsurfing pics' Never mind a lens this is the camera you need.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster I love this shot. Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manila Bay, @ 1980, Exakta w/Pancolar 50 and Tri-X

Manila Yacht Club, ditto

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis the first is textbook. A fully conveyed image in 3 1/2 or maybe 4 tones. Perfect zone work and a really beautiful shot. You are a fine photographer! Very Happy

Andy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:I guess that for extreme I just meant "not balanced".
As it's common practice to balance shadows with fill flash, reflectors etc. when shooting backlight. I like that the figures are not plain outlines, and not filled in with frontal lighting, just that little bit that makes them readable without making them obvious.

I feel that this early morning image epitomizes your particular premise, Orio - no fill flash, no "fixing" of shadows. Rather, just the change of strength from backlighting that produces recognition of time of day, intensity of form, and distribution of light values, along with just enough form showing with a tiny bit of light reflected off the sand.

Andy wrote: A fully conveyed image is 3 1/2 or maybe 4 tones.

This image takes care of that, at least to me, Andy. And I don't mean COLORS; rather I mean TONES as you mention. I think that the codification of this comes from my initial attempts to "make it better" by manipulations of tones through adding and intensifying and multiplying tones. But in the final anaysis I left it alone. The original minimalism of this scene with its own backlighting and sparse tones predisposes what I wanted to convey in the first place! Wink

By the way, this was an extremely peaceful early morning, and I had awakened to see a deer walking off the sand and into the forest. The air was fresh and enervating, and the distant very gentle surf added a muted hiss that pulled my body along its edge while I watched the wash of water creep up the sand and disappear in a phalanx of bubbles, popping noiselessly to mix with the oxygenated air. There are many mornings like this at the Olympic wilderness beaches.

Driftwood Forms, Mirrored Sand, and Exhilarating Backlight
Yashica Electro 35
Fuji Reala
f:16 and 1/60th second
Epson V700, automatic default settings

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry: another masterpiece.
What can I say more?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photographer from Brno Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iha that is extreme for sure! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one from me...I kinda like the overexposed look here

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Larry

YES! Smile

Perfect minimalism. I'm very happy you squeeze such amazing frames from that little Electro. Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Scott.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS Orio and Andy:

I like the way that all of these reflect differing interpretations of "backlighting"; these differentiations have compelled us to bring images out of the closet that we possibly would not have shown otherwise--images that are stretched beyond the norm. We benefit from the differences rather than molding them into just a single thrust toward trying to achieve the same objectives. That is why Orio's thread here is an appealing premise!

Scott, your image doesn't feel blown out to me, even if the histogram might show otherwise. It is simply yet another interpretation on the usage of background lighting values that tend to accentuate the color values of the subject through the use of "light isolation". Yes, another premise on backlighting.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not MF but still nice:

(click for enlargements)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes naplam...especially the directionally backlit cloud, wherein the form of the cloud is transmuted to the viewer! The thickness of the cloud becomes the quantifier that lets the backlighting become the vehicle that expresses the shape. It's as though we are seeing a sort of 'x-ray view' or even a 'resonance imaging' internal view of the cloud structure! Very nice use of backlighting!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 amazing!! Another ones nice also.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
@ Larry

YES! Smile

Perfect minimalism. I'm very happy you squeeze such amazing frames from that little Electro. Cool

And I'M very happy for your generosity in gifting me with this ultra-excellent camera and lens, Andy. It becomes an extension of the scenery in its own right because of its immutable, ergonomic build. As far as I'm concerned, the Yashinon lens "rides the light" as well as any Leica lens in this focal range. Simply put -- "you can count on it, period."

I hope this thread continues. Backlighting, in all its interpretations, is a greatly entertaining entity! I'll look for some more shots as well, where I feel there is a representation of backlighting effects -- PLEASE SHOW YOUR COLLECTIONS OF ANY BACKLIGHTED IMAGES.

THANKS, Orio, for pushing this thread into the board discussions.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air show in Berlin-Schönefeld. Legendary russian MIG-29 from polish Air Force. Tokina RMC 75-260 with Dandelion Chip Adapter. EXIF Values are not correct. 260/8

i

Imre

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had many of them in the past they are great fighter jets, thanks for our government we throw all of them to trash and bought a few Grippen. (Good chance to lose all of them at the first attack.)