Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hypergon 26mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Hypergon 26mm Reply with quote

I found and adapted a previously unknown ultra wide angle large format lens, obviously based on a Hypergon design, invented around 1900 by Emile van Hoegh for GOERZ and later adopted by Zeiss. This approx. 26mm one was made approx. 1950 I would guess.

It turned out that it seems to be a quite useful lens for my Panasonic GH1/2 camera. The focal length is an estimate, it is somewhere between 20 - 26mm from my simple measurements.

I tried to show the lens aberrations a bit here (scaled to fit a Lumix sensor, hence smaller used image angle (approx 84 degrees - that lens does 120 degrees) with object at infinity for an f11 aperture, which is the optimum aperture for that lens):

Here is a http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Hypergon_Topogon_Biogon_Hologon/00_pag.htm technical article of my friend Marco Cavina that covers such ultra wide angles nicely with lots of images and diagrams as well as never finished prototypes (in Italian, use goggle translate if needed).

(c) Marco Cavina

VIS/UV:

These were also shot using it (crosseyed stereo):

and despite the well known aberrations it results in quite useful images.

Also outside handheld it does work nicely (crosseyed stereo):

(some images have already been shown here - just for completeness)

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sehr schön Klaus !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dankeschön!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, fascinating and informative

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Hibiscus and the Crocus to be quite amazing in thier 3D-ness and clarity, thanks for sharing.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
I found the Hibiscus and the Crocus to be quite amazing in thier 3D-ness and clarity, thanks for sharing.

K.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stereo effect nearly knocked my eyes out! Exellent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Klaus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
thePiRaTE!! wrote:

K.

+1

+2.

Nice to see 2nd live of a lens from yesteryears.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In purely unscientific terns- wow Klaus! Amazing. Hibiscus is so sharp! Lovely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, Klaus! Where do you always find those gems? Shocked

Thanks a lot for sharing. Your experiences increase the value of this forum considerably!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them very much. Even the strain on my eyes seems to have gone away Wink

Can we also see a picture of the lens, please? I always found the Hypergon very intriguing with its air-driven rotating star fan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys!

Well, finding such a lens was based on a search for a capable wide angle lens for my UV work, so I needed a simple lens design (See Graham's thread about lens designs - it makes sense to know a bit about it) that would allow enough UV light to be passed. The Hypergon had both: a simple two-menisci design and a very wide useful angle with the only downside of having to stop down considerably. After some month of search, I was able to locate the one I have now. Having your homework done as well as patience and persistence are the key to success here ::biggrin::

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:22 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Carsten, your contributions are unvaluable!
The symmetric wide angles, aren't they fascinating? I now also have one, thanks to Carsten (the Orion) Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio. Yes, they are and I had the 28mm Orion too a while ago (now with my friend Marco, who also has my 35mm Jupiter and 20mm Russar), a very fine lens indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Can we also see a picture of the lens, please? I always found the Hypergon very intriguing with its air-driven rotating star fan.

Mine doesn't have a star shaped fan and it is not needed anyway as I only use about 84 degrees of about 120, so the light fall off is much less (unnoticed by me).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The special flare (and flare resistance) it has...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ausgezeichnet!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danke Jeff!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I found and adapted a previously unknown ultra wide angle large format lens, obviously based on a Hypergon design, invented around 1900 by Emile van Hoegh for GOERZ and later adopted by Zeiss. This approx. 26mm one was made approx. 1950 I would guess.

It turned out that it seems to be a quite useful lens for my Panasonic GH1/2 camera. The focal length is an estimate, it is somewhere between 20 - 26mm from my simple measurements.

I tried to show the lens aberrations a bit here (scaled to fit a Lumix sensor, hence smaller used image angle (approx 84 degrees - that lens does 120 degrees) with object at infinity for an f11 aperture, which is the optimum aperture for that lens)

kds315* wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Mine doesn't have a star shaped fan and it is not needed anyway as I only use about 84 degrees of about 120, so the light fall off is much less (unnoticed by me).

At this photo only a front element could be seen but not the whole lens. So the following is my guess.
I haven’t ever heard about ‘unknown’ Hypergon 26 mm F/11, but DO know perfectly well a special Russian lens called Russar-25IM. It was produced in two modifications, i.e. 20mm F/10 122 degrees and 28mm F/11 90 degrees on 5x5cm frame. I own both of them. They were used for projection of stereophotogrammetrical slides. Consequently, they were produced in complementary pairs. One lens of each pair was marked as ‘Russar-25IM’ with full information about F, aperture and angle, while the second one was marked only by F and aperture. It is worthy to know that in order to get an appropriate IQ these marks MUST be directed to the FILM, but NOT to the object!
I guess that 'unknown Hypergon 26mm F/11' is, probably, Russar-25IM F=28mm 1:11
The following images show Russar-25IM 20mm F/10. The appearance of 28mm F/11 is just the same except the values of F and aperture:

Last edited by Nicolas_D on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolas_D wrote:

At this photo only a front element could be seen but not the whole lens. So the following is my guess.
I haven’t ever heard about ‘unknown’ Hypergon 26 mm F/11, but DO know perfectly well a special Russian lens called Russar-25IM. It was produced in two modifications, i.e. 20mm F/10 122 degrees and 28mm F/11 90 degrees on 5x5cm frame. I own both of them. They were used for projection of stereophotogrammetrical slides. Consequently, they were produced in complementary pairs. One lens of each pair was marked as ‘Russar-25IM’ with full information about F, aperture and angle, while the second one was marked only by F and aperture. It is worthy to know that in order to get an appropriate IQ these marks MUST be directed to the FILM, but NOT to the object!
The following images show Russar-25IM 20mm F/10. The appearance of 28mm F/11 is just the same except the values of F and aperture:

http://www.photohistory.ru/1423836150186256.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolas_D wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I tried to show the lens aberrations a bit here (scaled to fit a Lumix sensor, hence smaller used image angle (approx 84 degrees - that lens does 120 degrees) with object at infinity for an f11 aperture, which is the optimum aperture for that lens)

kds315* wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

The following images show Russar-25IM 20mm F/10. The appearance of 28mm F/11 is just the same except the values of F and aperture: http://www.photohistory.ru/1423836150186256.html

Nicolas, I know lenses rather well, and trust me that I'm able to differentiate a HYPERGON lens from the work of Rossinov, the Russar lens. It is not a Russar at all, but the rather simpler lens as I have shown above. Maybe tho, it had the same use and purpose you had mentioned, as I also have a pair of those lenses Wink