Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon is going mirrorless!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Canon is going mirrorless!! Reply with quote

http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/119313-is-canon-finally-entering-the-mirrorless-camera-market Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I was hoping they'd stay out. I guess you can't ignore the market.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

In Western European countries, I still see mainly Nikon and Canon cameras on the street. But especially in countries where the economy is growing rapidly, I see all the brands I hardly see at home: Sony, Pentax, Panasonic... But especially Sony. When I was in Prague 3 years ago, it was difficult to spot a fellow Nikonian! When I was in Italy 2 years ago, few Eastern European tourists had a Canon or Nikon...
And when I was in Mexico last year... well, there they still shoot with film cameras they found on the US second-hand market Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really convinced here, that rear element is amazingly close to the sensor (according to the article it gets the info from, see below, 0.50mm Shocked ).
So if that is a changable lens, you risk damaging the sensor everytime you swap it?
Considering the focal length range, a fixed lens APS-C camera is more likely in my view.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fegami.blog.so-net.ne.jp%2F2012-02-20

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, 0.5mm is terribly close. An earlier patent showed a mount converter, from one unspecified mount to another. The front mount appears to be EF and the rear mount could be a new mirrorless Canon mount. A quick comparison in front and rear size and thickness would indicate that the new mount would have a flange distance of around 27.7mm, very close to Leica M mount.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I couldn`t find anything in the article 0.5mm related.
Could be me spectacles again? Confused

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's listed as "back focus" in the "Self-interpretation and summary, Patent Document" table (in the google translated link I posted).

Would be interesting to see Canon enter this market though, even though more competition tends to push some brands off the market, it also usually lowers the prices, which is always nice Cool .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More update:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/6749/canon-mirrorless-is-our-future-and-video-optimised-lenses-coming-2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panasonic wages war against Canon on compact cameras!
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Panasonic_plans_highend_CSC_to_fend_off_Canon_threat_news_311439.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Why stay out?
I hope they step in and make a FF mirrorless camera.

However, I doubt they could easily match Sony's NEX video quality.
NEX-5N is far superior to 5D Mark II regarding video.
Possibly it is also better than 5D Mark III. For example, it does 1080p at 60fps...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon did wake up pretty late...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Canon did wake up pretty late...

Canon is the absolute leader of the dslr market with sales as high as 7 million cameras a year. Why wouldn't canon try to preserve that market at all cost for as long as they can? It is STILL the largest market. I think they would (will) wait as long as they can to get into the mirrorless market.
Olympus and sony got the edge on the advent or mirrorless cameras, I don't think canon (or nikon for that mater) will go into a rush to try to get ahead as fast as possible. The trend is still steadily crescent. If canon can position itself firmly among the top players when mirrorless cameras becomes the standard, that will be more profitable than wining the early stages.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Canon went mirrorless 65 years ago with the interchangeable lens rangefinders. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
I thought Canon went mirrorless 65 years ago with the interchangeable lens rangefinders. Laughing
Yay! Laughing The 7s is the one mirror-less Canon I would buy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we can discount the Panasonic efforts if they are going to stick with a M4/3 sized sensor as that article suggests.

As for the NEX-5N having better video than the 5DMKII, how come everyone is using the 5DMKII in serious productions (even the BBC use them) and no-one uses the NEX?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

As for the NEX-5N having better video than the 5DMKII, how come everyone is using the 5DMKII in serious productions (even the BBC use them) and no-one uses the NEX?

I have both and I believe NEX-5N video is better.
However, this is not enough to make it used in a professional environment.
5D Mark II is used with rigs for focus pulling and the modified firmware by Magic Lantern.
Without the modified firmware, you cannot even control audio levels.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an opinion, just wondering why the NEX wasn't more widely used for video if it was superior, I suppose the form factor if the NEX isn't very suitable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope Canon find it profitable and perhaps make one with 5D2 sensor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't have an opinion, just wondering why the NEX wasn't more widely used for video if it was superior

Video camera must be ergonomically comfortable, first thing, and have good video quality, second thing.
You may have the best video in the world, but if you can not handle the camera as professionals require, it is not used.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Video camera must be ergonomically comfortable, first thing, and have good video quality, second thing.

True. But if you invest the cost of a 5d mkII you can make a really ergonomically confortable cam out of a nex 5n.
And a 5d without some 1200 € of rigs and follow focus and stuff, is not at all ergonomically comfortable.

I've been hiring 5d mkII many times for various works with the only purpose of shooting video, and I always thought it's great: it delivers the video quality of some really more expensive gear, with some downs - mostly ergonomy, rolling shutter and the video codec that makes grading really delicate - that, for my needs, were acceptable.
Some time ago, I had to do a shooting work with a nex 5n (the day after I decided not to buy a 5dmkII and ordered a nex I'm waiting for it to be delivered): all the people on the set went on laughing at the camera all the time (luckily it wasn't my decision to use it) up to the point the a guy from the agency started calling people around, and a fully rigged 5d appeared in the studio. We shot for the rest of the day and the next one with that, everybody (customer + agency) happy.
Except that something shot with the nex will end up in the final edit, and nobody will notice it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Quote:

True. But if you invest the cost of a 5d mkII you can make a really ergonomically confortable cam out of a nex 5n.
And a 5d without some 1200 € of rigs and follow focus and stuff, is not at all ergonomically comfortable.

I've been hiring 5d mkII many times for various works with the only purpose of shooting video, and I always thought it's great: it delivers the video quality of some really more expensive gear, with some downs - mostly ergonomy, rolling shutter and the video codec that makes grading really delicate - that, for my needs, were acceptable.
Some time ago, I had to do a shooting work with a nex 5n (the day after I decided not to buy a 5dmkII and ordered a nex I'm waiting for it to be delivered): all the people on the set went on laughing at the camera all the time (luckily it wasn't my decision to use it) up to the point the a guy from the agency started calling people around, and a fully rigged 5d appeared in the studio. We shot for the rest of the day and the next one with that, everybody (customer + agency) happy.
Except that something shot with the nex will end up in the final edit, and nobody will notice it.

Laughing
Yes, typical thing that happens Smile
I think that if video making was my job, I would neither use a Nex nor a 5D Mark II.
I would go for a camera that is designed specifically for video, such as one of the more recent Canons.
This one, for instance:
http://www.canon.it/For_Home/Product_Finder/Digital_Cinema/Cinema_EOS_Cameras/EOS_C300/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some of those (don't remember the model names, though), and a couple of sonys as well.
And they are actually great, but the cost is so high that hiring them can make more sense (for me, as I don't shoot everyday, the greatest part of my job is editing-post production).

The video quality of a nex5n for around 600 euros is impressive, so I bought it for smaller productions (I swear I did not took in consideration the possibility to adapt all those beautiful old lenses that I can't adapt on my alpha when I decided).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
I tried some of those (don't remember the model names, though), and a couple of sonys as well.
And they are actually great, but the cost is so high that hiring them can make more sense (for me, as I don't shoot everyday, the greatest part of my job is editing-post production).

I think renting makes more sense for almost everybody, except maybe for those guys who work for TV channels and have to make video reports everyday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intersting links .
I suppose it's very likely that Canon is going to build his MIC with the sensor developed and launched in the G1X .It's between APS-C and 4/3 sensor - probably this is the APS-I mentioned by the Canon managing director of imaging.
Seems pretty good if looking at the G 1X samples

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:

It's between APS-C and 4/3 sensor - probably this is the APS-I mentioned by the Canon managing director of imaging.
Seems pretty good if looking at the G 1X samples

For me anything less than APS-C from Canon will be a total disappointment.
Perhaps they think they could sell lenses for a new mount.
But the true revolution would be a FF mirrorless.
For Canon it does not make sense from a sales point of view (cannibalizing 5D etc).
Perhaps the competition will force them, however.

Anyway, I hope Leica will get better soon...