Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hue test: How well do you see color?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Hue test: How well do you see color? Reply with quote

This is actually quite useful, not to mention a clever marketing idea for the products sold. Monitor quality and calibration play a part of course, but display quality aside, this tests your color vision for ability to distinguish hue variations.

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

I did the test, and I can silently sigh out of relief that if I'm going out of business it won't be due to deficiencies in color vision Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, I'm pretty satisfied with myself...

Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My result was 8 with a lot of ambient light coming in from a big window just left to me, and an uncalibrated monitor, so the result isn't quite accurate. I wonder what the score scale is?

edit: after submitting the page as-is, it seems my score wasn't that bad after all :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am apparently color blind - 29 Crying or Very sad

Actually, I have always had trouble with hues of certain colors (green and red), so this just confirms another ailment.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this twice before (once at home on my calibrated monitor and once at work on a monitor with generic “office” settings), and I got a zero (i.e. the perfect score) on both attempts. I think it's more of a test of patience; just keep swapping every adjacent pair of swatches and it should be obvious which way looks better. =)

Last edited by Arkku on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, it's much about patience and a good quality screen.

I did this a few days ago with tired eyes on an uncalibrated laptop screen. Scored 14. When I redid the test next day with the calibrated monitor I use for workflow I got scores 3 and 2, failed on greens both time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am the champ in this match!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 143 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

but i already knew it before! my first mountain bike (i was about 14) was deep purple. the first two years i had it, i thought it was deep blue! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
my first mountain bike (i was about 14) was deep purple. the first two years i had it, i thought it was deep blue! Laughing

Laughing Wink Nice story.

I can see colours pretty well, but I also made a terrible mistake once.
Due to the artificial light inside a shop I bought a winter jacket which I thought was some kind of pale indigo, pretty nice actually.
When I unpacked at home and saw the jacket outside it was PINK !
Gosh! Can you imagine me walking around in a PINK winter jacket? Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test seems somewhat illusory, as well.
My eyes get jiggy looking at the small squares divided by thin black bands.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Esox lucius"]This is actually quite useful, not to mention a clever marketing idea for the products sold. Monitor quality and calibration play a part of course, but display quality aside, this tests your color vision for ability to distinguish hue variations.

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77
I scored 28 - it's obviously broken.

supahmario wrote:
i am the champ in this match!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 143 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

but i already knew it before! my first mountain bike (i was about 14) was deep purple. the first two years i had it, i thought it was deep blue! Laughing

I had a car like that- crap paint. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My score = 3
but I did it quite rushed. I think that if I gave it more time I could have obtained zero.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got four, too. If the bar on the result page shows our position as a percentage then I guess we are almost all well above average, which may not be surprising.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
I got four, too. If the bar on the result page shows our position as a percentage then I guess we are almost all well above average, which may not be surprising.

I agree. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. can also be just a matter of dizzy eyes.
It's kind of annoying to sort these small squares, isn't it?
It's easily possible that one who got "4", next time will end at "1" or "10".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Depends on which neighborhood you visit Shocked

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
I did this twice before (once at home on my calibrated monitor and once at work on a monitor with generic “office” settings), and I got a zero (i.e. the perfect score) on both attempts. I think it's more of a test of patience; just keep swapping every adjacent pair of swatches and it should be obvious which way looks better. =)

Same with me. I think you are right, patience is the trick.

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a long-recognised colour vision problem, so doing this test was always going to produce an amusing result. My score was "only" 195. Then, just for interest's sake my wife, who has no deep interest in the technicalities of photography, did the test on her own laptop, taking scarcely a few minutes and with no "shuffling" on the squares. Her score was 7. Needless to say, she choses all my shirts and ties for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the monitor calibration discussion, I found this old thread.
Took the test...

Your score: 6
Age range: 40-49
Best score for your gender and age range: 0
Highest score for your gender and age range: 1520

quite disappointed that I must have missed something Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, this is an old test, I'm surprised that it's still around. Did it again since I've changed monitors (and aged) since, but still got a zero. Used the same old tactic—when unsure, move the uncertain hue to the adjacent space (1 space left or right) and it will either be correct there or look even more wrong (in which case move it back). =)

Overall, I think colour vision is quite interesting to think about—I mean, how can any of us really know what colours look like to other people…

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
[...]how can any of us really know what colours look like to other people…

Laughing something I have often wondered myself! Not limited to vision, but the entire perception of the world via the senses -- the signals may be identical but the integration which occurs in the brain may be wildly different for different people -- at least we seem to agree on the relationships and metrics of any particular shared perception, but we cannot know the results of any individual's integration of those signals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

Overall, I think colour vision is quite interesting to think about—I mean, how can any of us really know what colours look like to other people…

Agree, interesting issue.
Colours can be metered. So there is an objective scale for light coloration just like there is for light intensity.
This per se would be meaning less if we consider only one absolute value of a colour: how can we know that, say, Red 4557 (just writing a fake example) is seen the same way by me and by you?
But the colours in the world do not exist on their own. They exist in relationship. And that's where the usefulness of scale comes in.
We can not know if you and I see Red 4557 in the exact same way. But by determination of our ability of recognizing colours with tests
like the one in the link (hopefully more professional)
we know that people with the same, or similar, colour recognition ability will recognize the interval that goes from Red 4557 to Red 4962 in the same way, that is, an interval of 405 units.
While we still don't know if we see Red 4557 and Red 4962 in the identical way, we do know that we identify the interval identically.

Extend this concept to the whole range of colours, and you have a network of colour relations that ensures that two people with the same or similar colour recognition ability will perceive an image in exactly the same way,
even if the absolute values are not identical, the relative values are.

If you think about it, this is the way our experience of the world happens. Objects do not have one colour. They have many colours as different are the lights that hit them.
So we are not able to say that our garden hose is of "that" red colour. It's red value will change with the time of the day and the weather situation. But so will change all the other colours around it.
The absolute colour of the garden hose is not identifyable. But the network of colour relations between the garden hose and the surrounding objects is constant no matter what time of the day and how many clouds in the sky.
And it's upon this network of relation that our recognition of colours is founded.
In other words, we can not say that our garden hose is "that" red, but we can say that it is red because it looks "as much different" from the other objects.

This of course is reliable until we speak of panchromatic light. With lights that are not panchromatic (such as light of the sodium lamps) the network of colour relations is disturbed.
Because, for instance, we are not able anymore to tell the difference between our red garden hose and an orange of similar density.
They will both look yellow orange to our eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'f a test of patience and I failed before completing the 1st row. But I knew that anyway. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a rush and got a 8. But I'm happy with that Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a 0 ! thanks for posting this !