Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Pentax K-5 Reply with quote

not yet any thread about the K-5, though there had been mentioning:
Spotmatic wrote:
... I expect the new APS-C Pentax K-5 to outperform the 5D MkII. Of course that's a bold statement but we'll see Smile

( Peter I hope you don't mind I took that quote from the other thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/i-did-it-switched-the-5d-for-a-k-x-t32579.html )

I just ran across these samples, amazing what someone achieved processing K-5's ISO 25600 and 51200 files, just check it out Shocked
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=36661051

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should keep my mouth shut Smile

Frankly I think I can use ISO 6400 as-is for web purposes. But I'll hopefully soon be able to test it myself (I have already ordered a K-5).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax K-5 Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
not yet any thread about the K-5, though there had been mentioning:
Spotmatic wrote:
... I expect the new APS-C Pentax K-5 to outperform the 5D MkII. Of course that's a bold statement but we'll see Smile

( Peter I hope you don't mind I took that quote from the other thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/i-did-it-switched-the-5d-for-a-k-x-t32579.html )

I just ran across these samples, amazing what someone achieved processing K-5's ISO 25600 and 51200 files, just check it out Shocked
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=36661051

It's hard to believe that this is no fake!
If it's true: WOW! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax K-5 Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

It's hard to believe that this is no fake!
If it's true: WOW! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

exactly my thoughts too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Night vision made possible Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who thinks that this APS-C sensor is going to beat the 5D MkII sensor in low light is on drugs. Or should be Wink

An no, I didn't bother to look what the link(s) said. I know the truth. I am the Truth.

(Of course if go go to very extremes, banding noise may be an issue with the Canon which will be diffiult to deal with - the Sony sensor doesn't seem to suffer from banding.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot wrote:
But I'll hopefully soon be able to test it myself (I have already ordered a K-5

congrats! it will be great to compare the progress made in 1 year since the k-7

Anu wrote:
An no, I didn't bother to look what the link(s) said. I know the truth. I am the Truth.

it is not the right tone for MFlenses, we are open minded here Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Anu wrote:

it is not the right tone for MFlenses, we are open minded here Wink

But isn't this comment of your's precicely opposed to being open minded, trying to close the door from me and my delusions? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Poilu, in your heart you do know that you're a Pentaxian. I forgive you for being a Canonite for the time being Wink Razz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see a 'real world' ISO 51200 shot, first shown unedited, later in the thread some denoised versions:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=36791890&page=1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really good, and I mean it !
I'm pleased for you, Pentaxians.

And I keep my 5D MkII. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered my K5 as well and impatiently awaiting it's arrival.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ordered my K5 as well and impatiently awaiting it's arrival.

Nice...can't wait for the results....if the weather plays nice for you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira, if it's wet we go take pics in the CBD, heaps of vehicle lights reflecting off the road and folk scurrying for cover makes for interisting picture potential..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the DxOmark review is up. The results are quite interesting, to say the least...

The data:
http://dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/All-tested-sensors/Pentax/K5

Here's the K-5 compared to the D700 and 5D MkII. http://dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/483%7C0/(appareil2)/441%7C0/(appareil3)/676%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Pentax

(the URL is rotten, so please copy/paste in the address bar)

Based on the score, and if you believe in DxOmark, the Pentax K-5 is the best APS-C camera of them all Cool

And, even better: it's on the 6th place of all cameras ever tested by DxOmark, regardless of the sensor size. It even scores the same as the Nikon D3s. (BTW: the Pentax 645D is on the 4th place).

I guess there are exciting times ahead for Pentax and Pentaxians Cool

Last edited by Spotmatic on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to have generated so much interest that the site has actually gone down!!

What was the high ISO score? I understand that overall it has beaten the a900?!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot wrote:
Well, the DxOmark review is up. The results are quite interesting, to say the least...

Based on the score, and if you believe in DxOmark, the Pentax K-5 is the best APS-C camera of them all Cool

interesting! I will wait for the nex 7 with this 16 MP Sony EXMOR sensor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have access now! 1162 for high ISO still doesn't reach the 5d but it's getting closer! Don't have to eat my hat at least LOL What I find astonishing is the dynamic range...incredible!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I have access now! 1162 for high ISO still doesn't reach the 5d but it's getting closer! Don't have to eat my hat at least LOL What I find astonishing is the dynamic range...incredible!

Indeed! By the way: DxO has its own way to determine the "sports" ISO, so you may actually have a different opinion when you look at the actual pictures Smile

Still, the K-5 is a remarkable achievement. I hope they'll sell shitloads of them; the earlier I can get a FF Pentax, the better Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sony are already supplying full frame sensors to Nikon, so why not? Smile Will be interesting to see if the Sony a580 has the same sort of performance, or if Pentax have really worked their magic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so we know... The K-5 has the highest Dynamic Range ever tested by DxO. And they have tested a LOT of cameras, including all FF and most important LF cameras.

Way to go, Pentax! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High ISO performance is really impressive. I hope that Canon can come up with a similar performance for the 5D Mark III, although it is probably trickier with a FF camera due to the need of optimizing performance of oblique light rays at the edges (where light rays arrive weakened at the sensor cells).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collected my K5 today, now if only work will slow down a little so I can play with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Collected my K5 today, now if only work will slow down a little so I can play with it.

Damn, I wanted to be first on this forum. Laughing

Congratulations and have fun with it! If you want can you also check how manual focus works in Live View mode? In particular how zooming-in in LV is performed and how to get back to 100% view.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not look great, but here's ISO 51.200 from my newly acquired K-5. I opened the RAW in Photoshop, resized it, and saved it as JPEG. I did not perform any additional denoising.

Actually, it looks to be pretty good, and a very good basis for some PP. Notice there's no banding at all...