Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked that would be ISO fifty-one thousand and two hundred? Just checking Smile Pretty damn awesome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I hope you accept that I show here your image after noise reduction only to show what is possible. Thanks.

Unbelievable, you still can see the structures on the wooden table, the flowers and the petals. Shocked

Wink

Last edited by Rolf on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Rolf, but where's the detail? Smile

If you want to receive the original DNG file then please let me know and I'll put it on my webspace. There's lots to play with Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats spot! sound promising! waiting for more

Rolf wrote:
I show here your image after noise reduction only to show what is possible

quite ok on my 13" lcd Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps like this one ?

Noise reduction with Topaz DeNoise 5 and some detail enhancements with Topaz Detail 2 - but only rough-and-ready

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
congrats spot! sound promising! waiting for more

Rolf wrote:
I show here your image after noise reduction only to show what is possible

quite ok on my 13" lcd Wink

on my 27" lcd too - what a surprise Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf. Now that you have mentioned Topaz Denoise I have just downloaded the 30-day free trial and right now my plug-in is on full steam trying to remove the noise. Please hold on...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software is worth the money ....

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to play a bit more with Topaz Denoise, but here's my own version (not too heavily processed):

I believe Johnbee from Pentaxforums.com has made a good write-up on denoising the K-5 files (with the Topaz settings mentioned). I will see if I can find it...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, even 51200 is usable (for web at least)!

I hope Canon employs this Sony sensor in the next rebel or sth. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope Canon employs this Sony sensor in the next rebel or sth

OMG Exclamation Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some heavy posterization in your denoising attempt, Peter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, looks like your K5 arrived so no need for me to test the LV zoom for you. Fortunately I don't need to work Saturday so will put mine through the paces then with my weekly visit to the market.
I did manage to get in a few pics yesterday with my 90mm Apo Lanthar checking out some of the local gardens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to your Apo-Lanthar shots!

I'd like to post two more examples. The first one at ISO 10.000. Converted from RAW, and resized, not sharpened and no noise removal. It's not a good picture (my first ones with a new camera are never any good):

This one was shot at ISO 3200. The only difference is that I did sharpen a little. Still no noise removal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this one was shot at ISO 80. It was exposed for the background, so the person came out too dark. I used Fill Light in Adobe Camera RAW to light up the foreground. The picture was then resized for web and sharpened.

I could have upped the ISO but the shake reduction kicked in nicely (1/20s at F2)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results certainly look very good at that size, very good indeed.

DPReview have an interesting comparison tool available now on the back of their 60D review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60d/page17.asp

Looks to me like Pentax and Nikon have got some noise reduction into the RAW files somehow, which may explain some of the fantastic RAW performance we're seeing Smile Either that or they shoot their Nikon and Pentax test files with soft lenses...!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Results certainly look very good at that size, very good indeed.

DPReview have an interesting comparison tool available now on the back of their 60D review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60d/page17.asp

Looks to me like Pentax and Nikon have got some noise reduction into the RAW files somehow, which may explain some of the fantastic RAW performance we're seeing Smile Either that or they shoot their Nikon and Pentax test files with soft lenses...!

Well, they shot the Canon at f/8 (the EF 50/1.4 performs very good at that f/stop and the Pentax at f/9 (the FA50/1.4 already is diffraction limited at that f/stop). Moreover: the focus point looks to be in a different place.

To me those samples are worthless. At least Imaging Resource uses the same lens for all shots, at Dpreview they use different lenses so in fact this was a lens test and not a camera test Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm home now and must admit the Pentax shots look better on my home monitor than they did at work Smile

Possibly the Pentax shot is back focused, and that could explain the difference. Not diffraction though, the Canon has more megapixels Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive results, Peter. Clearly Pentax has some digital processing aces up their sleeve. Best high ISO performance that I ever saw from a digital camera.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of pics using the 90mm Apo Lanthar.
ISO 160 1/80sec

ISO 800 1/125 sec

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first flower is great, but I think the second one's heart is a bit blown. Shot in RAW or JPEG?

Here are housefinches at ISO 3200, with a crop. Today was very stormy so upping the ISO was definitely neccessary for this shot. Again: not a shot worth keeping but great to find out where the sweet spot of the K-5 lies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot & xjjohnno, congrats! great pics!
last one with the birds at 3200 is impressive Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very impressive at ISO 3200!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

BTW: here's a strange thing I found in the Canon 60D review on Dpreview. They haven't tested the K-5 at the moment, but they did include photos to compare with the 60D. How can the ISO 3200 shot be sharper than the ISO 800 and ISO 400 ones?

BTW: it's visible (I hope) that the K-5's ISO 3200 is comparable to the 60D's ISO 1600 with regards to noise. At least that's what my eyes see.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot both JPEG and RAW Peter.
JPEGs as they came off the camera are the pics shown.