Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Idyllic World - Zeiss Flektogon 2.4/35 MC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Idyllic World - Zeiss Flektogon 2.4/35 MC Reply with quote

3 more Panoramas with the Flek 35 from a bike tour last week.

as one can see Very Happy , the aim was to practise prominent blured flower foregrounds and get more depth into pano-compositions.

- 9 shots panorama
- 3 rows landscape format
- @f3.5

-8 shots in 2 rows landscape formate
- @f3.5

-2 shots
- planar projection
@f3.5

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable as always Tobias. Excellent shots and IQ.

Does your first sentence means that you used different distances within your shots ?

Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias, composition lighting etc. as always excellent, but why leave flowers blurred?
I would love to have everything focused in such images. Blur does not really add to the atmosphere or scene, I think. It might actually even become distracting as in #1 in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, have to say I eagerly wait for every photo you and Roman (NikonD) put here, mountain photography is by far my favorite! Smile

I agree with Orio on the blur. What exactly do you mean by "planar projection" in the third photo?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I can understand very good what you say, bacause I am doubting too.
This was a kind on practising session, so I was very interrested about the outcome. I rarely make panos with a ~f3.5 apperture.

- I think in 2 the blured flowers are definitly disturbing.
- in 3 the blur is not as prominent as I intended, so not too disturbing for my taste
- in #1 the effect that I wanted to achieve worked out best. the blured flowers take a big part of the frame and become a interresting element of the composition for my taste

what also plays a roll is, that our eyes are not used to landscape scenery photographs tooken with wide appertures, we may have to get used to.

I think there's potentioal, so I'll make furthere experiments ...

@Rolf
no, it doesn't really mean that.

But what you say it true, I tried different distances to the flowers. In #1
the nearest flowers were ~5-10 cm away from the lens.

... which makes it very difficult while shooting without tripod. I had to rotate the camera as closest to the nodal point of the lens as possible, else the sticher would have no chance to recoglize some control points in between the frames.

I did one a similar panorama with SMC A 100/2.8 Macro with this kind of technic:

@symphonic
I mean how the stiching engine handles the frames and projects it:
can be spherical, cylindrical, planar, mercator etc ...
check out a discription about planar projection in my pano-guide ...
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-beginners-guide-to-panorama-stiching-t19182.html
Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias, you know the situation - if you ask 10 persons you will get 11 different answers.

Personally I believe that the flower blur is the special effect - let me say the kick - on your images. It is the play between sharpness and blurring, between different light situation etc. when an image is facinating and the eyes find the way through the image.

So for IMHO an image with no blur from the front to infinity is ok but a little bit boring - because most of the images are looking like.

For me your images are perfect.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, excellent work Tobias, but that is to expect from a panmaster Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tobias, you know the situation - if you ask 10 persons you will get 11 different answers.

Personally I believe that the flower blur is the special effect - let me say the kick - on your images. It is the play between sharpness and blurring, between different light situation etc. when an image is facinating and the eyes find the way through the image.

So for IMHO an image with no blur from the front to infinity is ok but a little bit boring - because most of the images are looking like.

Well, not this time 11 different answers; I fully agree!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the expense of sounding trite, I agree with NikonD +1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome place, very well photographed!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great composition, awesome landscape!
Those mountains are stunning.
#2 for me. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2+3 work for me, but if the blurred flowers get to prominent, it distorts the image. IMHO of course.

What you could also try is a very wide angle + very short ext. tube, get the flower sharp in the foreground
and the panorama behind. Kind of insect vision pano. I've seen very good such results with incredible DOF...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Quote:

Well, not this time 11 different answers; I fully agree!

Laughing Me too !
I think that the blur on the foreground can add somewhay a deepness effect in a landscape . Definitely not aclassical approach of landscape photography , but I like it !
Congratulations, Tobias !

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many many thanks for your reactions and different opinions !

@Klaus
Quote:
What you could also try is a very wide angle + very short ext. tube, get the flower sharp in the foreground
and the panorama behind. Kind of insect vision pano. I've seen very good such results with incredible DOF...

this sounds very interesting! I'll definitly give it a try ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias

Your usual great portrayal of a wonderful region

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a 18mm lens stopped down to f/22 and focused at about 1m may be enough to capture all flowers in focus without the use of a tube
(just make sure the nearest flowers are no closer than 35 cm from the lens).

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant similar to that (normal format, no vignette), but with a sharp BG until the horizon - and PANO that Tobias does so excellently...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, I see.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks klaus for showing the expaining smaple photograph!

that's similar to the macro-fisheye shots which I did once with my Kenko-SMC-Vititar combo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12447266@N05/sets/72157622683843898/with/4053894368/

The problem with this technic is that I don't get the resolution I want over the enitre frame. corner sharpnes is very week, so no stichind is ever possible.

@Orio
That for sure is a possibility. I am just doubting, because there is always a wind-flow in the air (there are rarely days where macro outdoor flower-shooting is possible without using very fast shutterspeeds), so flowers are shaking. Stopped down to f22 it may result in blur, which is not good for stiching either.

I'll make some test ... I got pretty interested now Wink

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this blurred foreground. But it requires a "strong" background, especially when it's large on the photo. That's why I'm not convinced with #1. #2 & #3 are really beautiful but the one I really like most is #4. The blurred foreground adds great depths and emphasizes the magnificent background.