Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Piease help me choose
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Piease help me choose Reply with quote

I am making a selection of not more than 100 photos (but if I'll be able to keep it at 50 photos, even better), to represent my 20 years as more or less "committed" photographer.
These selected photos will end up in my main web site. I will not host my full series there, or at least, not immediately. I want that the site that represents me, only hosts a restricted selection.
I need to choose one between these two Paris photographs. I am undecided, and I can use your best judgement to make a choice.
They are of course two completely different photos, although taken exactly in the same position at only a few seconds difference. I can not however keep both:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First photo, without a doubt. The human element adds considerably more
interest to the scene.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the balance and uncluttered feel of 2 better, as well as the way the subjects line up. it conveys a feeling, or mood, like a lonely early morning...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.2 for me definately! The car in the foreground in No.1 spoils it for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitly #1 for me, the car doesn't desturb me, it's "street life" photography anyway.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a combination of Both, I have done this so you can see the effect its a 2 minute cut and paste job before i go to work so dont have teh time to do it correctly but just to get the feel.
I know that it is terrible if i get the opportunity this afternoon i will do it properly

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinions!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the human factor + the movement but without the car.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vould vote for the #2, I like the lonelyness it transmits.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's much more easy to clone other way round:

1 minute work, can be optimized still ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends of what kind of feeling You´d like to convey. There are people and cars in #1, but they don´t seem to be the subject of the pic, so at least for me, the subject of #1 is the MOMENT.

#2, without people, creates a mood of loneliness, like Jesito said.

I´d crop the lamppost feet from both corners, too. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a dilemma! Both are very strong images. After seeing action in #1, #2 looks very stark, deserted and bare, the action is distant, everything is moving away from the scene. Exposures appear slightly different, #1 is slightly better, note highlights on distant dome & spire (follow the light poles). I think the car in #1 is necessary for overall balance, but it does distract some attention from the rest of the scene. I cannot decide between them which I like best! Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first image as the people add movement to the image. This causes the eye to wonder more around the image. There is more going on in the first image, appeals to my eye.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
I would say a combination of Both, ..

+1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 2, for all the reasons mentioned above.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advices!
When it comes to snapshots, I am usually against altering the reality beyond the simple fixing of defects;
however, if Robert Capa's and Doisneau's most famous snapshots are actually fakes, and the people knows it, and the critics know it,
and yet they keep being celebrated for those photos, well... who am I to not try to do the same? Laughing
So, I took the advice of mixing the pictures, and I only used the man - not the cars, not the other people crossing the road.
This way I hope that the frankensteinized photo might keep the best of both: the human element adding interest, and the vastness of the square suggesting loneliness.
Well, you let me know. At this point, the choice will be between this frankenstein version, and the #2 - I reckon that #1 with all the closer traffic is not my choice in any case:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
who am I to not try to do the same?

it's take only one fake to be a faker

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the people on the crossing causes a huge empty space that causes my eyes to only focus on one element thats the person walking. The people on the crossing add balance making my eye focus on the building first and then make the eyes wander and examine the whole scene.