Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Be a light meter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Be a light meter Reply with quote

This thread is inspired by Hacksawbobs search for a medium format camera. As you can see by my username, I am a big fan of the sunny f16 rule. Many of you probably already have done this or have other methods. One of the best ways to teach yourself to learn how to expose your film as you want is to learn how to meter by eye. Many older cameras have no meter. Also many older cameras require batteries that are not any longer available for the meters built in them. Using these cameras is easy with a handheld meter. Handheld meters are handy but slow and cumbersome when what you are shooting is swiftly happening.
Teach yourself to be a meter. Handheld meters are small and can go with you. Get in the paractice of keeping one with you all the time. Practice looking at a scene when you have no camera and estimating the exposure value. When you have the value you think is accurate check it against the meter in your pocket. After a couple weeks of doing this . You will have the confidence to shoot without a built in or handheld meter. It is fun and you really become the one in control of the exposure. By teaching yourself to become the meter, you will be able to use many of these great old cams without needing to worry about a proper light meter dictating exposure. Once again many of you probably already have done this or have your own method. My guess is there are just as many folks who have started out in photography in the wizbang digital era, with the camera telling you every move to make. Pickup one of those old light meters, dust it off, and put yourself to the test. It will open you up to all kinds of new opportunities. Wink

Andy Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very wise, very opportune, very helpful words for beginners, Andy! Especially in this digital era.
I learned photography on an old Gossen hand meter, and still today I thankful for having had that chance, which today's youngs don't have - not for impossibility but for laziness.

Young kids of today should be given a manual film camera and a hand meter for one year before allowing them to move over to a digital.
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly. Chris, that is exactly what I have done, used to keep a General Electric light meter in my pocket and making guesses as to the amount of light and EV values on any particular subjects. One way this has helped, is that it enabled me to look at several values on one subject, and then average out the value. Usually I can come pretty close, especially with print film.

And, I agree that it gives you a sort of intimacy for the subject, AS WELL AS a relationship with the camera.

Orio, I understand your chagrin; it seems that it would be a good exercise for newer photographers to work on estimating light values - then there could be more "inner creativity" even on a digital camera.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Orio, I understand your chagrin; it seems that it would be a good exercise for newer photographers to work on estimating light values - then there could be more "inner creativity" even on a digital camera.

Photography is the art of writing with the light.
But before learning how to write, usually a child learns how to read.
Am I wrong?
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice words Orio. I agree that many of todays young photographers are robbed of the experiences we have learning. If some of us not so old timers can speak of our methods, methods that make us more of the photograph that is taken. We can inspire a new generation of Manual photography. This forum has many contributors who are moving from film and old techniques to digital and new. Also many new photographers interested with older methods and equiptment. If we (young and old) can share our knowledge in new ways. It will be benificial to the traditions of the craft that have already been discovered and, new traditions that are on the way up. Maybe this is a topic for a sticky, who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points Orio and Chris.

I tend to have this feeling that there will be more and more "purely digital" young photographers who just might start using the old Manual methods in the near future.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part though...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site offers a REAL opportunity to continue with traditional methods. For myself I feel the mission of keeping manual lenses alive is, keeping manual photography alive. When I see young people like our Marc (moleman) presenting the photos he has that are so great with old cameras and film. I know that there are young people ready and very interested in old techniques. We have a chance to share not only the usefulness of old gear but, also old methods. We should make the most of that chance. Here in the states. The opportunities in schools are fading, surely this is the same in other countries. Maybe forums like this will be the best chance to pass it along. And of course to learn new methods as well from those coming up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to become a real photographer there is only one method, that is, to learn with a manual camera (also digital, if it existed), and a hand meter.

Things like histograms in camera are helpful tools but they can not replace the proper way to photograph. Photographing without knowing how to measure the light, and committing only to the after-the-shot histogram reading, is like playing tennis and running casually over the court. Sometimes you will cross the ball, most of the times you won't, and what matters the most, you will not learn anything that could be useful in the next match.

There are two abilities that will remain to be needed no matter what technological advancement in the future: light reading, and composition.
Of course, with the automatic cameras, you can also do without them, if you are content to remain in mediocrity and never progress.
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Photography is the art of writing with the light.
But before learning how to write, usually a child learns how to read.
Am I wrong?

I love those words Orio. It really is the bottom line. All we ever photograph is a reflection of light. How we see the reflection and interpret that reflection is the artistic part of photopgraphy. Otherwise we are just turnig the machine on and off to record.

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi colleagues, I feel exactly like you. My old Gossen Sixton is always hanging from my neck at any time I go out with any camera. And I always try to estimate the light before checking it with the Gossen. I'm also training my daugther on doing that. Also for the distance, we've got an old russian rangefinder accesory, and we use it to check estimated distances...
There are so many wonderful manual cameras to try!

Thanks for keeping this spirit up!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I am glad you are training your daughter Jes! I worked with my daughter on using manual techniques on cameras, and she has always said that it "helps her with her fine arts now"....so I think there is a benefit that can even transcend the usage of cameras alone.

By the way, Jes...I LOVE your avatar. Very nice! Good angle, and good looking camera!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, Jes...I LOVE your avatar. Very nice! Good angle, and good looking camera

Yessssss!!!
It is a fantastic avatar! And a great photo also. It is really great that you are passing this on to your daughter Jes. Maybe she can post some work here. Even if it is not photography. And maybe some photography also. Smile Smile

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been training my ten year old niece in how to use a light meter and a manual camera.

She was at school one day when the teacher decided to have some sort of project involving manual photography and my niece was the only one in the class who knew how to use the meter and set the camera.

Not even the teacher knew how to use the light meter....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Be a light meter Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Teach yourself to be a meter. Handheld meters are small and can go with you.

Some meters are small and some aren't. I've got two small meters for measuring reflected light, one with a battery and perhaps more "accurate", the other one a still working selenium meter, which doesn't require switching on. These meters are good for getting a rough estimate, but I've come to prefer an incident light meter - although it often isn't possible to get to measure the incident light at the subject, but then even reflected light measurement would be difficult without a spot meter. My incident lightmeter, an old Gossen Lunasix 3, isn't small, it is about the same size as the body of my Robot or a Rollei 35 or an Olympus XA:

However, it has an EV range from 1 to 22, which at ISO100 and f/5.6 means an exposure time range from 1/4000 s to 8 minutes. This is important because the eye is lying about the luminosity, changing both aperture and sensitivity, the aperture between about f/2 and f/11, and the sensitivity so much that the total combined range is about 20 stops -- although achieving the full sensitivity requires spending more than 30 minutes in total darkness, hardly meaningful in a photography context.

Quote:
Get in the practice of keeping one with you all the time. Practice looking at a scene when you have no camera and estimating the exposure value.

Learning to estimate the EV in a real life context is more about learning to recognize a luminosity context than really estimating the luminosity by eye. Often it is also a balancing act requiring experience really taking photos because the luminosity isn't always homogeneous, but then even a multipoint AE wouldn't be of much help because it cannot read your mind, it can only do postcards.

There is one very good guide on the net, I may already have posted a link, but here it is once more, "The Ultimate Exposure Computer" by Fred Parker: http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm . It is a lot of text but well worth of studying throughly -- repeatedly every now and then.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Veijo: You probably know this already but there's a clip-on spot metering attachment for the Lunasix that offers both 7.5 and 15 degree angles of view.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea, Andy!

As I am planning to get a russian rangefinder camera, that comes without any metering system, it would be great to get also a small light meter and use it not only to take actual pictures, but also to learn how to work without it.

Could you recommend a small, simple, realiable and cheap (if possible) light metter to look at (new or used) on ebay? What should I look for, or avoid?

Thank you all. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great information I need to get myself a meter I suppose, and maybe try metering my digital shots to see if they improve. I am here to soak up the knowledge! I have asked for Ansel Adams negative for my birthday from my wife later this month I think he has a lot to say on exposure that is still relevant today. I suppose technology changes but the physics of light doesn't!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the use of light meters to back up your eyeball. Old but still perfectly serviceable meters cost peanuts and it's possible to pick up a really good later one for not much money.
Like you, I find I hardly need to use one now, but it's always there just for confirmation if I feel the need.

I picked up two venerable selenium meters - a Horvex 3 and a Hanimex Sekonic ( wonderful batteryless devices) but if I want to go posh I can use the Luna Pro SBC, which has more bells and whistles on it - the downside is the 9V battery needed.
The surprising thing is, there's not a whit of difference between any of them for most light conditions, although I had expected the selenium cells on the older ones to have become a bit knackered by now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, good idea Andy. I remember trying to learn how to judge exposures years ago but it's all long-forgotten now, so I think I'll be taking your advice.

Last May I won a nice old Weston Master V selenium meter with incidence cone and case for Ł5.99 + P&P:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Peter and anyone else with a Weston or thinking of one:

These guys in the UK can service and repair them, including replacing the selenium cell.

http://www.megatron.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Yep, good idea Andy. I remember trying to learn how to judge exposures years ago but it's all long-forgotten now, so I think I'll be taking your advice.

Last May I won a nice old Weston Master V selenium meter with incidence cone and case for Ł5.99 + P&P:

Hi Peter,
Nice lightmeter!.
I'm looking also for a light meter for my daugther. I was looking at the russian ones, (Leningrad-4) but most of them seem to be built up from selenium cells. Since I've been suffering the degradation of the selenium light meters in many cameras, I was trying to avoid such selenium based ones. But it seems that some of you have got one of those selenium based... How are going them?. Are them precise?. No selenium degradation at all?.
I think I miss something on this selenium issue theory...

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you recommend a small, simple, realiable and cheap (if possible) light metter to look at (new or used) on ebay?

Here is a newish meter that we have. I like this one because it is very lightweight and the battery lasts forever. It gives very realible readings for general use. Great size and weight to carry around. I think it was about $40 new several years ago.

Quote:
I have asked for Ansel Adams negative for my birthday

That is a really great text. Another book that is really well done and good for film newbies wanting a crack at zone work is "The Zone System Craftbook". It is written by John Charles Woods. He put the book together in a way that you can take what you need from it. Zone system confounds a lot of people. I think because it is believed that you must be very complex in your thinking and you must use every aspect. This book presents the different aspects of the zone system seperatly. Allowing the reader to use what they need and leave the rest out to eliminate confusion. Then as you become more interested you can add more complex thinking to gain more control of exposure and development. Another much simpler book for B+W in particular is "Creative B+W Photography" written by Les McLean. This one helped Michelle alot. It is nicely written with easy concepts that again help control exposure and getting the shot you "previsualized". His work is throughout the book and I really enjoy the photos he presents.
I'm getting a bit long winded sorry Embarassed

Andy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I'm looking also for a light meter for my daugther. I was looking at the russian ones, (Leningrad-4) but most of them seem to be built up from selenium cells. Since I've been suffering the degradation of the selenium light meters in many cameras, I was trying to avoid such selenium based ones. But it seems that some of you have got one of those selenium based... How are going them?. Are them precise?. No selenium degradation at all?.
I think I miss something on this selenium issue theory...

Jes.

Hi Jes, the Weston is probably around 50 years old. It's beautifully made and feels quite heavy and solid but I find the dial difficult to read without glasses, which is a nuisance (for me). There is a little too much information on it I think. I was dubious about selenium meters too, but I thought at that price it was worth taking the risk, and so far it has worked perfectly. There's a screw on the back to calibrate the needle to zero and I've only had to adjust it once, when it first arrived. Since then it gives accurate readings, checked against camera meters and with actual shots. I have full faith in it.

The meter in my father's old 1960 rangefinder works OK sometimes and other times I can't get a glimmer. I think it must be faulty electrical contacts - I'll take a look at it soon when I've finished the film in it. The meter in my Praktica Nova 1B is still perfect.

That's as much experience of problems with selenium meters that I can tell you about - almost none! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask a question about Exposure Values?

According to the Sunny 16 rule, a front-lit shot on a bright sunny day would need an aperture setting of f16 with the shutter speed set at the ASA rating of the film. According to this table the EV for this setting would be 16.

If I set my meter at 200 ASA and set the dial with 1/200 against f16 it points to an EV of 13.25. Is something wrong?

EDIT:

Scrub that - I just realised the needle readings and the red numbers on the inner ring aren't exposure values. The EVs are shown is a separate little window, and it does indeed give a reading of 16!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the table with my Lunasix 3 and both agree - f16, 1/250, EV16.