Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Be a light meter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13.5 would be for iso 50

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Weston is a beauty!

I have an old General Electric "el cheapo" selenium meter that is accurate, compared with the TTL meter in my Revueflex (Chinon clone) camera. So, I think it's very possible to still get some use out of a selenium meter, as long as it hasn't been exposed to constant light.

Laurence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Hi Jes, the Weston is probably around 50 years old. It's beautifully made and feels quite heavy and solid but I find the dial difficult to read without glasses, which is a nuisance (for me). There is a little too much information on it I think. I was dubious about selenium meters too, but I thought at that price it was worth taking the risk, and so far it has worked perfectly. There's a screw on the back to calibrate the needle to zero and I've only had to adjust it once, when it first arrived. Since then it gives accurate readings, checked against camera meters and with actual shots. I have full faith in it.

The meter in my father's old 1960 rangefinder works OK sometimes and other times I can't get a glimmer. I think it must be faulty electrical contacts - I'll take a look at it soon when I've finished the film in it. The meter in my Praktica Nova 1B is still perfect.

That's as much experience of problems with selenium meters that I can tell you about - almost none! Smile

Thanks Peter!. That sheds some light to me Smile. I'll give a try to one of those cheap russian ones.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob & Andy, it was a silly mistake. If you look at the picture of the Weston, I was reading the red numbers 1-16 on the inner ring as EVs but in fact they are just the needle readings. The EVs are in a little window next to the black arrow on the outer ring (at 11.30 in the picture).

Thanks Laurence. This is the only piece of photographic equipment I own that's "Made in Great Britain"! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
That Weston is a beauty!

I have an old General Electric "el cheapo" selenium meter that is accurate, compared with the TTL meter in my Revueflex (Chinon clone) camera. So, I think it's very possible to still get some use out of a selenium meter, as long as it hasn't been exposed to constant light.

Laurence

That's just what I was thinking about Jes's selenium camera meters. They'd be exposed much longer to ambient light then the average meter in a case.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Laurence wrote:
That Weston is a beauty!

Laurence

That's just what I was thinking about Jes's selenium camera meters. They'd be exposed much longer to ambient light then the average meter in a case.

Thanks Laurence and Dave, I understand now the selenium only gets exhausted if has been largely exposed to sunlight and not for the age...

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has got me thinking about light meters - etc. I think I might have one in storage - ya, ya I got lazy in using just the camera meter for years Embarassed

I guess its something to work on, and if I'm wrong time to find a replacement Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
This has got me thinking about light meters - etc. I think I might have one in storage - ya, ya I got lazy in using just the camera meter for years Embarassed

I guess its something to work on, and if I'm wrong time to find a replacement Smile

Nothing wrong at all with using the meter in the camera. I mean, it's there...why not use it to advantage? Cool Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Nothing wrong at all with using the meter in the camera. I mean, it's there...why not use it to advantage? Cool Smile

Its served me quite well so I agree, but nothing worse than a camera with batteries that go dead and you don't know it because your regular camera was bought used - so you don't know how to test them in it. Embarassed (That's why my Minolta SRT200 is now a back up at best.)