Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Q1 in CZJ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Q1 in CZJ Reply with quote

I read somewhere that, in CZJ lenses, the number 1 inside the letter Q is a quality symbol : above or equal international quality for export.

I only have it in my 20/4 aus jena .

Anybody knows about that?

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my lenses:

CZJ eMC 35/2.4 - no (both copies)
CZJ T 40/4.5 - yes
CZJ eMC 50/1.8 - no (three copies)
aJ zeb. 50/1.8 - no
CZJ T 58/2 (manual) - no
CZJ T 58/2 (pre-set) - no
CZJ 58/2 (pre-set) - yes
CZJ 58/2 (semi-auto) - yes
CZJ T 75/1.5 (M42 fat) - yes
CZJ T 75/1.5 (exakta fat) - yes
CZJ eMC 80/1.8 - no
CZJ MC 80/1.8 - no
CZJ 80/2.8 (M42) - yes
aJ 80/2.8 (P6 zeb.) - yes
CZJ eMC 135/3.5 - no
CZJ MC 135/3.5 - no

and my aJ 55/1.4 does have sligtly different symbol: "1" in triangle Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to state the obvious: the 1Q symbol stands for "First Quality" (or its equivalent, "erster Qualität", in German).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get, why two "T" Biotars (12-bladed and 17-bladed) doesn't carry this symbol, while two cheaper non-T Biotars (10-bladed) have it Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-X the triangle, If I don't remembner in the wrong way, it's a quality symbol too; equal to international parameters for export. (not above, for the case)

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True , but it was just one of many markings CZJ tried to apply in their battle against reexports from other communist countries to the West - for a time, deliveries to China received a special (supposedly negative) mark, too.

It is debatable to what degree these marks really signify quality - the export policy of CZJ had considerable impact on the $ balance in the Soviet and GDR treasury, and will have been decided right at the very top (and the Soviet buerocracy was utterly ingorant on quality matters). In some periods, Western markets were inundated with CZJ gear, in others, it was scarce - at either time, they can hardly have sent good lenses exclusively to the West.

Sevo

Last edited by Sevo on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I can't get, why two "T" Biotars (12-bladed and 17-bladed) doesn't carry this symbol.....

Very bad for you. Shocked Now these lenses are priced down!!! Laughing

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

and my aJ 55/1.4 does have sligtly different symbol: "1" in triangle Shocked

My AusJena Pancolar 50/1.8 Zebra has it too, at least, I is rarer than "normal" lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm it's only present on my two Aus Jena Fleks
(a 4/20 and a 4/25)
My other Fleks 4/20 don't have it.

I used to also have an Aus Jena 2.4/35 but I sold it so I can not check now.

-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
no-X wrote:
I can't get, why two "T" Biotars (12-bladed and 17-bladed) doesn't carry this symbol.....

Rino.

Crying or Very sad
I would give them away for free, but I'm affraid, that I wouldn't find any single volunteer, who would take these crappy lenses from me Sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
estudleon wrote:
no-X wrote:

Rino.

Crying or Very sad
I would give them away for free, but I'm affraid, that I wouldn't find any single volunteer, who would take these crappy lenses from me Sad

There are no problems, I sacrifice myself by the well-being of a companion; I become position of one biotar. It is not thankful to me, today by you, tomorrow by my…. Laughing

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send a picture with this symbol!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the 1Q symbol?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biotar is is also marked with the 'quality 1' stamp.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In base of all that you said and with my own lenses too, the Q1 seems to be a mark that we can find in aluminium and zebras, not in MC lenses. My Aus Jena pancolar 50/1,8 hasn't it and it's prime league lens.

Well, aluminium and zebras wqith Q1 have now a reason to be more priced Shocked Crying or Very sad

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can make a poll now: Which Biotar would you choose: T without 1Q, or 1Q without T? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I just got an alu Sonnar 134/4 with the 1Q mark. But it does not make one iota of difference to me Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8/35, silver, M42, late 50s" has it:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ausJena Pancolar 50/1.8 has the 1 in triangle :

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to I have understood, is equivalent to a category of similar to the international parameters.

It is one copies MC (black) or single coated (zebra)?

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is Zebra and yellowish Razz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it the pancake pancolar?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went upstairs and had a short look at my collection due to this sign:

All my Alu-Zeiss-lenses (Biotar / Flektogon / Triotar / Tessar) have it.
My Zebra Pancolars (whether "aus Jena" or "Carl Zeiss Jena") don´t have it.
Also my MC-copies don´t have it.

My opinions about this theme are:

1st: I´m a lousy Connaisseur, ´cause I never recognized this sign, which reminds me by the way of the "Valdai"-sign... Embarassed

2nd: I do not think, that "aus Jena" or this 1Q sign give us a valid hint for the current picture quality. Much more important is in my humble opinion the actual condition of this antique lenses. My best Pancolar was adjusted by a professional, which was me worth buying it for a little bit more money than for a copy from a flea market, though one can get there also "diamonds in the dirt". Cool

3rd: I am crazy about the nameplate "Carl Zeiss Jena" Shocked Shocked Shocked . This is not a guarantee for the picture quality of a newly bought lens, but a joy for my soul that lusts after nostalgie and fetisch things... Wink

Again and again I am impressed by the outcomes of my Pancolar-lens - it is my personal favorite:

Last edited by Retro on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro wrote:
I went upstairs and had a short look at my collection due to this sign:

All my Alu-Zeiss-lenses (Biotar / Flektogon / Triotar / Tessar) have it.
My Zebra Pancolars (whether "aus Jena" or "Carl Zeiss Jena") don´t have it.
Also my MC-copies don´t have it.

My opinions about this theme are:

1st: I´m a lousy Connaisseur, ´caus I never recognized it... Embarassed

2nd: I do not think, thart "aus Jena" or this sign give a hint for picture quality. Much more important is in my humble opinion the sctual condition of this antique lenses. My best Pancolar was adjusted by a proffessional, which was me worth selling it a little bit more expensive than from a flea market. Cool

3rd: I am crazy about the nameplate "Carl Zeiss Jena" Shocked Shocked Shocked . This is not a guarantee for the picture quality of a newly bought lens, but a joy for my soul that lusts after nostalgie and fetisch things... Wink

Again and again I am impressed by the outcomes of my Pancolar-lens - it is my personal favorite:

Pancolar 50 is my favorite too (if you talked about the 50).

I know that the important thing is the talent, if you have it (it thus seems to be by the pic that showed) no matter the lens or the cam.

The question for me is to play with toys that enjoy us. No more. This is my appreciation.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(if you talked about the 50)

What else? Cool Wink

Quote:
The question for me is to play with toys that enjoy us

Exactly my opinion. (here you have to imagine a "thumb-up smiley", which I miss here terribly Wink )