Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[AF] Flash portraits
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: [AF] Flash portraits Reply with quote

I know almost zero about flash photography, but I do know that it can be fun. Especially when the kids are having fun too! Smile

The setup consisted of some 30 year old Courtenay flash heads on tripods, with two umbrellas. Shot with my Pentax K-7 and SMC Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited. Not a MF lens, but a MF lens in AF disguise Wink

Because I know zero about studio lighting I made the typical beginner's errors. Although I deliberately placed them in front of their toys, I should have given more thought about what was directly behind them. Oh well... I'll try to do better next time. Also the lighting could have more depth (lower flash intensity on one side, for instance).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no problem with a white background.
I agree that one of the two flashes should be the key light and the other one the fill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, nice kids!
I remember my flash period, during the quest for IQ before T*
now with the 5DII, I could not imagine needing flashes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great kids and great shoots.
I am not an expert, but I think your light is too high, look at the shadow under the chin. To get more perspective, use one ligth 45 degrees in frot the kids and the other one behind them from30 to 45 degrees. The fill light could be one or two stopps lower.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FernandoB12 wrote:
Great kids and great shoots.
I am not an expert, but I think your light is too high, look at the shadow under the chin. To get more perspective, use one ligth 45 degrees in frot the kids and the other one behind them from30 to 45 degrees. The fill light could be one or two stopps lower.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very well done to me. No very hard shadows, everything looks natural.

Very cheerful, happy photographing ...

Cheers
Tobias