Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Better Meyer Primoplan 1:1,9 f=7,5cm shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Better Meyer Primoplan 1:1,9 f=7,5cm shots Reply with quote

Today I had more time to spend with the uncoated and pre-war Primoplan. I now like it even more!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own this lens but according to all photos I have ever seen, Primoplan 75/1.9 is one of the best lenses of this focal length...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great samples! look like a first class lens!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It really is a first class lens, but also best suited for portraits and close-ups. If you look at the outdoor shot, you'll notice the somewhat unsharp borders. Also, the outer bottles in the first photo are a little unsharp. Is this due to field curvature?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm this lens is one of the best especially in your hands, amazing! I am so glad this extremely rare lens found such a good home!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Peter and an excellent lens obviously!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens looks lovely but the point is another one.
Peter: you have pure class.
Every photograph of yours is full of class and artistic vision.

No matter what glass you would use: you have the talent.

Chapeau.

P.S. # 4 5 6 and 8 are my favourites.
#4 is the flower vase picture that I would have always wanted to make. So now I can remove the flower vases from my list of possible subjects, because i can't get better than this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The lens looks lovely but the point is another one.
Peter: you have pure class.
Every photograph of yours is full of class and artistic vision.

No matter what glass you would use: you have the talent.

Chapeau.

P.S. # 4 5 6 and 8 are my favourites.
#4 is the flower vase picture that I would have always wanted to make. So now I can remove the flower vases from my list of possible subjects, because i can't get better than this.

Orio, thanks for your praises! I feel flattered but also a little embarrassed, that's how I am, because I know that I did not do much to get those shots. I just pointed the camera to a subject and tripped the shutter button... So you'll understand how I feel Smile

Anyway, it's really hard not to love this lens. Thanks to Klaus (KDS315), he pointed me to a site (Camera Eccentric) where I found a Meyer price list from 1938. It's the 3 inch Primoplan:

So the Primoplan had a price tag of £27 10s 0d in 1938, the second most expensive Meyer lens with Exakta mount. On another website (Measuring Worth), also found by Klaus, I calculated this amount to today's money: £1,258.48 using the retail price index.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Orio .

In the matter of view -- you are CONSTANTLY superb !

There is no difference WHAT motif or LENS is going to be used..

always impressive work..

tf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to use the Primoplan in as harsh conditions as possible. Everything was shot at f/1.9. I wanted to try to generate some CA in the shots, but I did not succeed. I know from experience that my SMC Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited has this problem (both longitudinal and axial CA) so I'm quite surprised that the Primoplan does not suffer from it. Or maybe I just do not understand the why and how of CA?

Also, please let me be up front to say that some shots have a darker side because the mirror is hitting the back of the lens. So it's vignetting there (mostly in the bottom or at the right).

The last one in this series is unsharpened. All other shots have been sharpened and levels were applied.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try in sunny day opposite with sun I think CA will there especially on white subjects.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All triplet-derivates has low to zero axial CA. Tessars, Industars, Trioplans, Triotars, Primoplans... My Primoplan 58/1.9 has the lowest axial CA from all of my f/2.0 or faster lenses (which are double-gauss based). I didn't test Jupiter 3/8/9, but I expect they'll be similar.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer triplet-derivates to double-gauss lenses Smile

Last edited by no-X on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, your shots are always so beutiful. I can't pic a favourite. ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a different framing of one of the earlier shots. Would this one be better?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little boy Very Happy. His expression says "Why do I have such a father photographer?" ^^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cilinderman wrote:
Nice little boy Very Happy. His expression says "Why do I have such a father photographer?" ^^

Very Happy

I'll take advantage of the situation now! In a few more months, he'll be able to run faster than me. Like his sister, who does not like to be photographed Sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics from a great lens!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex! If only everyone could afford/find one Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please bring it with you together with your 5D when you come to visit me on Thursday evening.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
please bring it with you together with your 5D when you come to visit me on Thursday evening.

Of course! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
hk300 wrote:

Of course! Very Happy

Also bring your K20d!
Then we can install the split screens for the K20d as well as the 5D.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
hk300 wrote:

Of course! Very Happy

Also bring your K20d!
Then we can install the split screens for the K20d as well as the 5D.

Let's see! Smile