Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Backlight
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Backlight Reply with quote

Here's a good example of backlighting with the moss scattering the light evenly. Sometimes when hiking in the rain forest, there are literally thousands of backlit branches full of moss. It's hard to know where to look!

The area in the upper left of the image gives some idea of how the trunks of trees can be represented with backlit moss edges. It almost produces a graphic scene. I'll try to find an image to post that shows this.

Sigma SD-14
Tokina SD 28-70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another from "impossible w/bayer" collection. really nice colours.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, this is lovely. I'm sad that I can't be there this summer but I'll definitely be there in 2010 summer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favourite thing, spotting strongly lit subjects and capturing the image. Backlighting or even just strong contrasting shadow and light are what make an ordinary shot into a spectacular shot.

Love this one,.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good capture Larry.
This is the type of shot that will really sing when taken on a slide and projected on a wall. Computer screen can not do justice to this type of dynamics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Yalcin, Cledry, Orio, thank you for taking a look. The Foveon and SD-14 has actually exceeded what I expected. You know how the "hype" can be...but in this case I am very very pleased with the "film like" colors and the dimensionality that is produced.

Orio, I have a couple of Provia 6x6 slides of backlit branches from the Yashica Mat, that I project with my old Bell and Howell medium format every once in a while. I am constantly blown away after the slides and projector are set up, and that first slide starts to shine on the screen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really love this one, beautiful shot, Laurence!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... love the great field of contrast in the shot and the striking green.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

You always surprise me with the lovely compositions you get from the plants. Besides be technically perfect, the lighting and colouring trasmit a warm feeling that is like being there. I could even hear the murmuring waters not so far... Wonderful place, and nice shot!.

Kind regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I recently discovered that look while hiking around locally (same climate / ecology as your area, basically). I think these shots are too messy, but it's hard to isolate stuff in the forest.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/IMG_6356.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/IMG_6354.jpg

And a crop in colour (gross looking because of the resolution limit)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/mossyshit.jpg

I like yours much better.

Last edited by walter23 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, that is one amazing shot.

How do you ever see these wonderful pictures you post here. I go hiking too, but could never conceive these compositions.

You gotta teach us to see through the crowded scene before our eyes, Sifu Larry.