Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Taylor, Taylor & Hobson Cooke Telepanchro 152 mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Taylor, Taylor & Hobson Cooke Telepanchro 152 mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

I can get this lens (price not known yet) and it obviously is a cine lens, but would it be worthwile to adapt it to M42 or K-mount? I guess the image circle would be large enough for APS-C or even 35mm.

There's hardly anything known about this specific lens. I do know the Cooke Speed Panchro 75mm f/2. Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the first time to see this lens. I have Kinetal 75mm f2.6 arri mount and then converted to M42 mount and it's to say "Leica Grow".

The cine lens is great for bokeh and color but I'm not sure that your lens can be converted. It must be modified the screw and focal rotation if it's Arri mount and it can be focused infinity. On the other hand, C-mount can't be focus infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:

The cine lens is great for bokeh and color but I'm not sure that your lens can be converted. It must be modified the screw and focal rotation if it's Arri mount and it can be focused infinity. On the other hand, C-mount can't be focus infinity.

Thanks for the information! I'm not sure which mount it is but I'll see. I have seen preconverted lenses with helicoid focusing macro rings, so it could be possible. And I can get this one for 75 euros, should I do it or not? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay 300 USD a Keh.com and take a 180mm f2.8 Contax Carl Zeiss, that is unbeatable lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pay 300 USD a Keh.com and take a 180mm f2.8 Contax Carl Zeiss, that is unbeatable lens.

Of course, but then I'll miss the fun of fiddling around with it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no more question take it and play around how you can use it.I look forward your report, I can give you address for converter man from Hungary and Italy, Klaus can give you experienced guy address in China.
If you are lucky from 300 USD you can make a good usable lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got the lens tonight...

First impression: it is super heavy! Just like I would imagine for such a professional lens.

Second impression: it's superbly built. No play, no nothing. Super smooth focusing and diaphragm (which is clean, BTW). I now know why Taylor & Hobson is called the Zeiss of the United Kingdom Smile

It's in a Excellent+ condition (KEH rating, so very conservative). Hardly any marks on the body (although there are some).

On a side note: many, if not most, of the movies we have seen in the Cinema and on the TV were -and are still- shot with Taylor & Hobson lenses. Around 1939 and later almsot 80% of all lenses supplied to Hollywood studios were made by Taylor & Hobson.

I'm not familiar with Cine lenses, but this one appears to be made for 35mm movie cameras, is it a Arriflex IIC mount? I've tried the lens on a white wall and sure enough the image circle is larger than a 35mm negative. Also, the distance from the lens to the focus plane is large enough to accommodate for an adapter.

I'm now looking if there are adapters available for this type of mount...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics of this lens. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick-and-dirty mount suggestions - just to test with pending a proper one, perhaps -

- Get a t-mount for your camera, remove the inner ring, and check if the rear tube fits reasonably snugly in the t-mount. If so, tighten the setscrews and voila, a mount.

- If that won't work (too loose in the t-mount maybe ?) get one of those cheapo M42 macro extension rings and see if the rear tube fits inside one of the rings. If so, wrap the rear tube with tape and press-fit the ring over it. Voila, its an M42.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Beautiful!

I agree...Thats one pretty lens. I have the T-H 12" (304.8mm) f4 lens in Vinten F95 mount which I converted to M42 mount...Here it is fitted with my homemade rotating tripod collar and lenshood:

OOF highlights with this lens are rendered with beautful sixteen point stars though the actual bokeh quality could be better.
As you would expect for an ex aerial recconaisance lens, its very sharp:
http://sigmasd10.fotopic.net/p40260033.html
(click on the pic to see it full size)
I hope you manage to get your T-H up and running as I'm sure it will impress too.

Last edited by DSG on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
OK, I got the lens tonight...

That's a very nice looking piece of kit - best of luck with converting it, be good to see results from that.

DSG wrote:
I have the T-H 12" (304.8mm) f4 lens

Superb.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice lens!!

Do you know the history of it?

Rino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beauty glass. Best of luck on your conversion. It loooks like it could be a future favorite if it works out.

@DSG
Impressive piece and the sample is fantastic. Any chance of seeing some more?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

In the meantime, I have registered on a cinematographer's forum (quite a nice read if you are interested in cameras/lenses).

Well, it appears that the lens has the Arri Standard Mount. As such, it could have been used on the Arri 16S or later cameras.

The Arri 16S is still used in modern times; for instance Robert Rodriguez (the director of 'Sin City') shot 'El Mariachi' with this camera.

Of course, the lens is 35mm compatible. So it would also work on the Arri 35 II cameras:

There are adapters from the Arri Standard Mount to other mounts available.

I was surprised that many cinematographers use 35mm photo lenses for movie work; on the cinematographer's forum (www.cinematography.com) I have read several posts from people using Takumars (for instance).

Now, let's look for a proper adapter to fit the TTH lens on my camera Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm not so sure about using the Cooke on my camera anymore. Because I asked about the value of the Telepanchro and the answer was: "Thats almost an impossible question as very few were made, yours looks in very good condition & just needs a PL adapter to be useful today. Due to the shortage of good 35mm glass prices are generally inflated today, I would expect a dealer would ask $5,000,"

Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news! sell it and use well the money!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
good news! sell it and use well the money!

Well, I think the price is a little exaggerated and $500 or so would be more realistic (still a nice figure)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:

I hope you manage to get your T-H up and running as I'm sure it will impress too.

Wow, exceptional image of the red deer stag. The velvet is just beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
Attila wrote:
Beautiful!

I agree...Thats one pretty lens. I have the T-H 12" (304.8mm) f4 lens in Vinten F95 mount which I converted to M42 mount...Here it is fitted with my homemade rotating tripod collar and lenshood:
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/2343/img16328ps3boj2.jpg
OOF highlights with this lens are rendered with beautful sixteen point stars though the actual bokeh quality could be better.

Cannot more than agree - have the same, even had it on the optical test bench, makes your hair stand straight up when you see the results...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Now, I'm not so sure about using the Cooke on my camera anymore. Because I asked about the value of the Telepanchro and the answer was: "Thats almost an impossible question as very few were made, yours looks in very good condition & just needs a PL adapter to be useful today. Due to the shortage of good 35mm glass prices are generally inflated today, I would expect a dealer would ask $5,000,"

Shocked

Baloney, that one can still be had for $200...300 (same and less for the above mention TTH Vinten lens). Nice lens indeed!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
What a nice lens!!

Rino

Why did I publish the "Lens Vademecum" Link - so that noone reads it...???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
estudleon wrote:
What a nice lens!!

Rino

I think he might mean the history of the individual lens - I'd be curious too. There must be lenses out there that were used on some landmark, memorable or simply well-known productions, although whether that would ever have been noted as part of their history is doubtful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: "Lens Vademecum" Link Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
estudleon wrote:
What a nice lens!!

Rino

Can you post the link here as I'd like to read it. Very Happy