Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Taylor, Taylor & Hobson Cooke Telepanchro 152 mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
That is a beauty glass. Best of luck on your conversion. It loooks like it could be a future favorite if it works out.

@DSG
Impressive piece and the sample is fantastic. Any chance of seeing some more?

Sure, here are a few more:

Last edited by DSG on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice
On that second shot
Who is the old broad wearing the lamp shade?
And is that the same fellow in the third shot that's standing next to her in the second one? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Nice
On that second shot
Who is the old broad wearing the lamp shade?
And is that the same fellow in the third shot that's standing next to her in the second one? Laughing

He He, thats Her Kraut, whoops, I mean British Majesty, Queen Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, whoops, I mean Windsor, the second of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis, and her Greek Hubby, Philip Battenberg, Whoops, I mean Mountbatten, the Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich who is a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg Laughing
I got a whole series of shots where eventually the whole Royal family emerged onto the balcony and then eventually left the balcony and went back in the Buckingham Palace again.

Last edited by DSG on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:

He He, thats Her Kraut Majesty, Queen Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, whoops, I mean Windsor, the second of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis, and her Greek Hubby, Philip Battenberg, Whoops, I mean Mountbatten, the Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich who is a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg Laughing

German export wasn't limited to lenses Laughing

And while Victoria married a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha she was from Hanover House herself.
Those were the days... today she would have probably married a japanese engineer (but rest assured that the quality of the descendents would have been strictly supervisioned by german tecnicians Laughing ).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7136/img08255csq3.jpg

Spitting Image Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badgerhill wrote:
It took me a few minutes to stop hyperventilating after I saw the red deer stag photo.....it's unbelievable.....how difficult to adapt the lens to an M42 mount?..

Here is what the lens looks like on its own:

The rear barrel has a standard female 77mm filter thread so you can use 77mm filters and/or screw a lensmount adapter onto it.
Note that it only has a aperture dial and no focussing ring...Its normally a fixed focus lens, ie: fixed at infinty focus.
The registration distance is much larger than a 35mm lens as its designed for MF to LF film.
This means your lensmount adapter has to do three seperate things...Allow the lens to focus, allow for the difference in registration distance and finally of course allow the lens to fit your camera.
To make the adapter I dismantled a crap quality M42 mount Mirage 135mm f2.8 lens so that I could use its helicoid section as the basis of the adapter.
Then I took a 77mm Cokin P filter adapter ring and screwed that to a Hoya 77-67mm step down ring to make a slightly longer male 77mm thread than the step down would have given on its own.
This was then screwed onto the front of the helicoid/M42 mount section and the result was this:

When screwed onto the back of the lens it looks like this:

Later I made a custom made rotating tripod mounting collar and lenshood which now make it look like this:

DSG - I've had to resize your picture again.
Please remember there's a maximum width limit of 900px in all the forums except the Oversized Gallery. A picture of a lens mount doesn't really need to be over-size does it?
Many thanks. Peter

Last edited by DSG on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm thinking about putting my Telepanchro 152mm for sale on eBay with a starting bid of $1 and let's see how the bidding goes. As far as I can see the 152mm is fairly rare, especially in this condition. Other Cooke lenses I have seen were more or less beat up (professionally used) so maybe I get back my investment Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Well, I'm thinking about putting my Telepanchro 152mm for sale on eBay with a starting bid of $1 and let's see how the bidding goes. As far as I can see the 152mm is fairly rare, especially in this condition. Other Cooke lenses I have seen were more or less beat up (professionally used) so maybe I get back my investment Smile

I would'nt do that as it probably would'nt be very difficult to convert it to M42 mount...Well at least it probably would'nt be difficult for me Very Happy
I would certainly be interested in taking it off your hands if the price is right but only if your in the UK because if your not then the postage and VAT would probably cost more than the lens Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've decided to sell this lens on eBay as there are other lenses I really want. Not exactly a MF lens, but an AF lens with a MF feel, is the SMC Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited. Together with the SMC Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited (which I have) it's touted as one of the best lenses ever made (whether that's true is anyone's guess, but I do know that I really love the picture qualities of my FA 77). I've always wanted the 31mm (the most expensive of the Pentax FA Limiteds) and I think I will get one this year Smile

But to go back to the Cooke Telepanchro: I put it on eBay yesterday with a starting bid of $1 and no reserve (item no. 200252854626) and hardly 10 hours later it's already at $435 Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With more than four days to go the bid price is going through the roof Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I just looked at your auction
Over $1k and 5 days left
Congrats, looks like you can finance a new K20D Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a deal !!

I own a special Rank Taylor Hobson lens, 50mm f:0.95 that cover 24x36 but with a 30mm clearance only. Still can makes some close portraits & macro, but with no mount you can buy: old it in front of the camera or craft a mount yourself. Weight 1,1kgs, iris included but no focusing stuff.

I guess it could adapted on a cheap yet shutter priority rangefinder camera, with home adapted focusing helicoid and a bit of trial & error for creating the distance scale (taking appart it should be a nightmare to match the rangefinder viewfinder).

Oh, got this lens for 13 € with an unfortunately unusable 17~170 Rank Taylor Hobson attached zoom lens. See it by yourself here : http://flor27.free.fr/forums/sopelem_rth_assembly/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flor,

Interesting lens - for video ? Or is that mounting an electronic shutter ?

It also has an unusual diaphragm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DSG,

Thats a very clever mount ! A few adapter rings, and voila. No machining then ?

I've been trying to figure out a mount along those lines for an ancient Biotessar 16.5cm/2.8, and I was intending to grab a "bad" 200mm for the purpose. But everytime I get a bad lens it turns out not to be so bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spot,

Feels like winning the lottery eh ?

Good for you. I bet its some of the serious collectors after it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I'm a bit surprised, yes. I would have been very happy with $200 or so, because I figured that this would still be a lot of money for some vintage movie equipment. In the meantime, I have read quite a bit about movie stuff and it appears that a lot of filmmakers are actually using the old stuff because it's so much cheaper than buying new or renting equipment. It was a real eye opener.

@Flor27: that's quite an interesting lens. Care to tell us something about its background?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Flor,

It was used in on demand built assembly for cartoons drawers, to help them draw the next frame onto the under projected previous one.
No electronic shutter here : the taken frame was directly projected under the drawer's drawing table. The zoom factor, aperture and focus were adjustable with electric motors.

Spotmatic wrote:
@Flor27: that's quite an interesting lens. Care to tell us something about its background?

Sure ! You will have the full story here :

http://forum.mflenses.com/am-i-crazy-or-not-rank-taylor-hobson-50mm-f0-95-t3883.html

Sorry for the removed portrait pics, but here is one :

http://florent.kzar.net/photos/marie_et_florent/IMG_0076.sized.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Hi Flor,

It was used in on demand built assembly for cartoons drawers, to help them draw the next frame onto the under projected previous one.
No electronic shutter here : the taken frame was directly projected under the drawer's drawing table. The zoom factor, aperture and focus were adjustable with electric motors.

Spotmatic wrote:

Sure ! You will have the full story here :

http://forum.mflenses.com/am-i-crazy-or-not-rank-taylor-hobson-50mm-f0-95-t3883.html

Sorry for the removed portrait pics, but here is one :

http://florent.kzar.net/photos/marie_et_florent/IMG_0076.sized.jpg

Going by the creamy bokeh of that last pic I'd say it would be a great lens for product and/or food shots. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi DSG,

Thats a very clever mount ! A few adapter rings, and voila. No machining then ?

Oh yes, there was certainly some machining required.
For a start I had to turn down the flange on the 77mm Cokin P adapter ring so that it was just under the diameter of the 77mm thread, or it would have got in the way. I also had to machine a custom washer to hold the Cokin ring/77-67 step down ring combo onto the helicoid section.
Lastly I made a new Aluminium mounting boss (the bit the M42 mounting plate screws onto) for the rear of the helicoid section as the original was not suitable because I had to shorten the length of the helicoid section to fine tune infinity focus and this reduced the material left on the original boss to a very weak state so a custom boss was required.
I managed to obtain a very rare 10ba tap for nothing from an old guy at a local model shop after a friendly chat so I could tap three 10ba holes around the outside of the helicoids fixed barrel to secure the new boss.

luisalegria wrote:

I've been trying to figure out a mount along those lines for an ancient Biotessar 16.5cm/2.8, and I was intending to grab a "bad" 200mm for the purpose. But everytime I get a bad lens it turns out not to be so bad.

It might not be worth it as any "bad" FF 200mm lens might still be better than your old 165mm f2.8 so you need to ask yourself if it has any redeeming features that would make a conversion worthwhile?
I have my own lathe so can convert lenses for free but if you dont have the right tools to hand or have an engineering bent then you would have to factor in the cost of having someone convert it for you.
Does it have nice bokeh?...If so, it may be worth converting simply for that but if its not particularly sharp, suffers from CA, or has harsh bokeh, etc, then you would probably be better off outing it on ebay. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"you need to ask yourself if it has any redeeming features that would make a conversion worthwhile? "

Its a highly subjective matter, but the lens is hyper-cool ! A huge old thing, probably from 1930 or so, originally probably on a reflex plate camera. - yes, thats my standard for considered judgement. Pathetic but true.

"Does it have nice bokeh?..."

Quite nice actually. Also tiny DOF.

"its not particularly sharp, suffers from CA,"

Yep, it has all those problems, and also low contrast, but it has a certain charm.

Its also got a lot of sentimental value as it was my father-in-laws, from 60+ years ago, and he would use it for portrait work on 4x5.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Spotty!

$2k finish is super Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Congrats Spotty!

$2k finish is super Surprised

Thanks! I really did not expect such a large end price ($2,043). It's nice though, I can now afford a few lenses I always wanted to have Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Spotty! great deal!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great spotty

DSG - wow

patrickh