Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you use AF lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Do you use AF lenses? Reply with quote

Yes, you love very much your MF lenses. Very Happy

But... do you also use AF lenses?
Which kind of lenses do you use more? MF or AF?
Can you say an aproximate percentage of use?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like pictures what is delivered with AF lenses, so I sold all what I have or passed to my kids. I not miss AF lenses at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes. If I'm purely in a P&S mood, then yes, but most of the time I have a set of MF lenses with the camera.

There's something much more rewarding getting it right with an MF lens, especially if that lens imparts its own special character to the image, which mostly doesn't happen with AF glass(plastic). Of course, my willingness to experiment with MF on digital is largely spurred on by the lack of cost. If I totalled up all the wasted shots these past months while I've been getting my hand back in with this hybrid system, the cost would have been prohibitive on film.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hung on to my AF 28-105 Nikkor, and my 80-200 AFD ED, but that's all I own AF wise.

My experiences using the short AF primes (50 and lower) is they're nowhere near as good as the AIS lenses in terms of image quality and build. This was particularly noticeable with the 20mm AFD v AIS.

With zooms I think lens technology has improved over the years so AF zooms make more sense.

As I'm not much of a zoom user I've barely used my AF lenses in three months, but use at least one manual lenses pretty much daily.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
There's something much more rewarding getting it right with an MF lens, especially if that lens imparts its own special character to the image, which mostly doesn't happen with AF glass(plastic).

I strongly believe this one too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
I use my EFS 18-55 because i need 18mm, sure it is not the best lens but i makes lot of decent pictures in 90% of cases.

I use EF 50mm 1.8 mk1, because it is a very good lens. But i must admit, for sometimes i use my MF 50mm.

When i need to travel light, i take my Sigma 70-300 APO.

I am about to buy a EF 100macro.

My AF lens are lighter, and 2 of them are zooms.

I do not use MF zooms.

Moreover sometimes i need to trust in AutoFocus, since i may not be able to focus right with my eyes. (i use 350D without AF confirm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I'm using the kit AF lens is while shooting landscape in infrared because the IR focus point is not the same as in visible light and the AF sensor is able to correctly focus (yes, I know about the red IR mark on mf lenses, but the IR filter is opaque and the focusing screen is black, it is just easier in AF).

Oh yes, I also have a 75-300 AF zoom but I use it mostly in manual. Too many misses with the AF Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I use AF lenses approximately 90%. This is because I do weddings, portrait and other work that I am paid to do.

When I use MF it is when I shoot for fun..!

I just feel more like a photographer when I have to adjust everything incl. focus manual. An other advantage using "old MF lenses" is that the output is much better and much more satisfactory compared to AF.

For me it is also about feelings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I still use my AF lenses when I want the quick reaction such as an event or if I am travelling light. My favourite pictures have all (without exeption) been taken with MF lenses and I use MF about 95% of the time.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
Can you say an aproximate percentage of use?

Easy answer! 100% manual lenses, 0% af lenses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one AF lens. It is the sigma 30mm f1.4. I got it with the camera for those point and shoot days and for using flash. The copy I have is a very good one. That being said I mounted it on the camera 3 times. Always switching it to MF. I find I like to use a 28 distagon or zuiko much better. The thing for me is I hate controlling the aperture on the camera. The ring on the lens is so much more natural. Anyway The sigma is going up for sale if anyone wants it.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no AF lenses. Now I'm saving money for the new MF lens - Peleng 8mm. I need some fish-eye, but AF fish-eyes are too expensive.
If I had more money, I would buy some AF lenses: Zuiko 11-22mm (or terribly expensive 7-14mm) and Sigma 30mm F/1.4. No money - no problem Smile

SMALL UPDATE

From a few weeks I sometimes use one AF lens... I bought the Zuiko Digital 14-42. Cheap, sharp, lightweight and plastic Smile I'm still dreaming of ZD 11-22 or Peleng 8mm!

Last edited by Maxim on Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I don't use any AF lens.
Even the Caplio has a nice manual focus...

(Well, to honour the truth, I got a Pentax DA 18-55 AF with the K100D, but I only use it when desperate Wink)

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-MF: 60-40

Same reasons like lahnet mentioned. If you will miss the point during a wedding it's over. No second chance. So I only use manual wide angles there.

But collecting russian MF gear is my addiction, it's another world and the results are other pictures.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it depends on the subject and the situation. I use AF when I shoot bikeracing and when I'm shooting from my bike. During these shoots I need one hand to keep my bike upright, so no chance to use my left hand to focus Wink
For about all other sorts of photography I use MF lenses. I guess that last year I shot about 85% MF and 15%AF.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use AF when I need to be quick. That's why I use AF zoom lenses, the EF 1.8/50 II is the only AF prime I have. I own four AF zoom lenses (12-24, 17-70, 75-300 and 28-105, that last one I only use at my film EOS.)

I use MF lenses when I have time to compose and think about the picture. Then I mostly use primes (although I have got some really good MF zoom lenses).

Percentage? About 50/50.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto WHAT? Question

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

Thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Auto WHAT? Question

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Auto WHAT? Question

Laughing

I didn't expect any other answer from you, Orio. Very Happy

I have to say that I am using more and more my MF lenses, but I am still far from you. Maybe it's because I am rather clumsy and I miss a lot of MF shots due to focus.

Now I know you all a little bit better. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Juanma"]
Orio wrote:

I have to say that I am using more and more my MF lenses, but I am still far from you. Maybe it's because I am rather clumsy and I miss a lot of MF shots due to focus.

Last Sunday I had to use two film cameras due to my 400D being unavailable. I have to say I have gotten more missed focus shots with the Contax G2, which I used in autofocus mode because I thought I was too slow with manual focusing with the body wheel (the way I normally use for static scenes), than with the Contax 167MT, which is totally manual without even the focus confirmation bip.
Tomorrow I'll take with me the G2 again but this time I will focus it manually. I am sure I will obtain more keepers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, Orio. I am not that good. Several (perhaps 1/3) of my MF shots are ooF, and about 1/4 so much that they are not usable.
May I call you "Hawk Eye"? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a photography book in a used bookstore. just a small thing with a lot of beautiful pictures. in the back definition sections it defines autofocus.

Autofocus: a way of not having to think too much about your photos.

That sums it up for me. Out of my small collection of 10 lenses, only one autofocuses on my camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Not bad, Orio. I am not that good. Several (perhaps 1/3) of my MF shots are ooF, and about 1/4 so much that they are not usable.
May I call you "Hawk Eye"? Wink

My eyes are not better than yours. Smile It's just that with moving subjects, anticipating the movements (pre-focusing), and making small adjustments manually, are more successfull methods than relying on autofocus, especially if the autofocus is not really fast and has not many points. But even with many points, moving elements in the background or foreground (in a carnival you don't have all subjects aligned and steady...) can easily attract your billion dollars autofocus system and make it move your focus point from the selected person to another one who happened to move over the next AF sensor point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm the black sheep of the forum, 99% AF Laughing I find mf lenses interesting to play with ocassionaly, but not at all practical.