Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using a 38mm Biogon / Lamegon design lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No correction Dan, just some added info.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Orio wrote:
Quote:
Lamegon

The Thiele book lists only 317 Lamegons ever made!
Are you sure? I ask not because I know better but because Charlie Barringer had four SMK-120s, i.e., eight 55/5.6 Lamegons. He occasionally came close to getting most or all examples of a rare lens but was confident that there were many more SMK-120s.

I am sure that the Thiele book lists only 317 Lamegons.
Whether this information is correct, I can not know.
Also this number would not include lenses with a name other than Lamegon that use the same optical design.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a walk to catch the last golden sunrays today, so here a few shots taken with that lens and my Lumix GH1...

If you want my opinion about it: a slow lens but with very high resolution + contrast and very low distortion. Any next time I even have a hood constructed for it Wink

The whole set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157627938810434/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are more "resolution test images", so I'll rather separate them:

well, it clearly shows what it once was designed for, reproduce details to specialized film capable of resolving up to 1000 lpm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, now I see the quality of this lens, the set is stunningly nice, the original test shots didn't strike me as special, but these show the quality of the lens. I now will look for old microfiche equipment to strip the lenses from!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cannot applied to just "any" micro fiche lenses, I have a lot here that just sit around unused...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100kb compression for 1280x980 pix is too much, but I believe that even with less compression and with the best lens it would not be much better, the Lumix give subpar pics

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(removed)

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
That cannot applied to just "any" micro fiche lenses, I have a lot here that just sit around unused...
Absolutely. Fortunately many of them are quite inexpensive.

My best, a $6.00 19.5/3.85 B&L, is competitive with a wide open 16/2.5 Luminar above 20:1. None of the others I've bought was worth bothering with, and they're too small and light to be used as paperweights.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much distortion I could see:

and darn, what a crisp lens:

and no wonder it was used (still is) as a micro documentation lens:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts, Klaus.

Distortion is an off-axis aberration. Your sample shots don't have much subject off-axis that would show it clearly.

Lamegons are symmetrical, symmetrical lenses typically have very low distortion. So your news, which I believe even though your examples aren't the best possible, is no surprise and I believe it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it wasn't really set up as "distortion test" shots, so far you're fully correct.
I was just amazed about its performance, so I wanted to share that Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

close up performance

Also here, no complaints from my side Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked amazing, like a macro lens!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be, as it was computed once as a high resolution lens for micro documentation with up to 400lpm. That performamce I had expected, but was surprised how well it did also at infinity!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Should be, as it was computed once as a high resolution lens for micro documentation with up to 400lpm.

Right, I had forgotten that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a story of the late autumn light, told in a few pictures...