Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tri-chrome
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Tri-chrome Reply with quote

Following on from a short exchange between Nesster and myself, I downloaded a sample image from the Prokudin-Gorskii Collection http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/, held by the Library of Congress, to practice on.
This one,

This is the small set, the full size scans are freely available, but are 68mb, so I left them alone.

The technique in PS is simple.
1. Crop out each frame and rename it for the colours. In this P-G collection, he shot them as Blue, Green, Red, from the top down.
2. Create a new blank image, sized to easily accomodate the individual frames, to allow for movement during alignment.
3. Open each coloured monochrome in turn and import it into the relevant Channel of the new frame. Do this by using the Crop tool and Copy/Paste.
4. Align each image on top of the other, this is a bit time-consuming, and on this small one wasn't perfect.
5. Once they are in alignment, lock them, using the 'lock' padlock symbol on the RGB layer of the new image.
6. You can then carry out any other PP work on it you care to do and 'save as' anything you like.

This is the result of my messing around - took ages because I was farting about with layers and going up blind alleys.

Upscaled with Genuine Fractals, you can more easily see the slight misalignment, but now I've practised a bit, the time to do it will be much shorter and better. Ignore the GF artifacts, they are inconsequential for the purposes of this illustration.

Last edited by Farside on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting !!
Aesthetically speaking, the photo reminds me of the early Autochromes (for those who don't know, autochrome was one of the first processes for colour photography, I think it used grains made out of potatoes)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable, well done!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done indeed. I wonder if you could use a 3D camera to create the negs? A little modification of an old Nimslo perhaps? Not sure about lining the results up though as they'd never quite match. Oh well just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D cameras explicitly create a distance between the lenses - something which you positively do not want here. For b&w trichrome processes, a camera with beam splitters is used, e.g. http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Bermpohl_Naturfarbenkamera.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm.. A major modification then.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd thought about that - I have drawer full of M42 cams and the lenses for 'em, like everybody here Smile , so a trio arrangement of cams suggested itself, but registration would be a problem - they'd be ok in the middle but the images would gradually get out of register moving away from the centre point.
The neatest solution so far is one I have - a Sigma Filtermatic 24mm with three dial-in filters. Not quite RGB, but O, Y, Light Blue. Enough for experimentation.
If I get a Cokin frame and make a colour wheel, I will be able to change colours quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, one may be a Purposeful Luddite: take a digital pic, do the B&W conversions, one per color channel, and there you are.

Using film - get the three required filters - Red, Green, Blue - and take three successive shots, one per. Of course this requires stationary subjects - and should make for some interesting clouds!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice result from experimentation! The colors really "meshed" together beautifully. Would love to see more as you refine the technique.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
3D cameras explicitly create a distance between the lenses - something which you positively do not want here. For b&w trichrome processes, a camera with beam splitters is used, e.g. http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Bermpohl_Naturfarbenkamera.

Now that's very interesting indeed, and Edmunds Scientific have beamsplitters for just a few bucks. http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3043359&cmss=beam+splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found this - very interesting.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/devin/devin.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Now where do you get one of those?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the vintage look to this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
Shocked

Now where do you get one of those?

Be a hoot to make one. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There had been a lot of those "one-shot" cameras over the years, they carried on being developed and used well after the advent of integral tripack colour films, especially by news photographers since they could make the colour separation plates much quicker than having to do the colour separations during the plate-making phase. A popular later camera for field use was the Curtiss, if memory serves, but Meopta (then Optikotechna) made one using 35mm film after that.