Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Domiplan challenge!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Domi in the drawer that came in a bundle with the lens I really wanted, but I've never used it. That may be about to change...

Seeing the samples here, it seems that it was a simple budget lens that produced some sort of satisfactory result that would have been ok for the vast majority of users who would never have enlarged a print beyond what the photo lab gave them.
Maybe it's had a rough ride because we are now so used to better quality glass for not a lot of money and the humble Domi gets slated undeservedly - I don't think anyone ever claimed it was a great (or even a good) lens, when it was current.
If we judge it by the standards of the typical users of the day, it probably comes out better. It is somewhat amusing that the vast majority of Helios 44 owners back then didn't realise what they had, but they did know it wasn't bad. The Domi was just another standard lens option, albeit a cheaper one and performed more in line with its price than the Helios did.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This challenge is a brilliant idea, I'm going to take my Domiplan out for a walk this week. It can't really be that bad, can it? =)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Mist wrote:
Nice portrait Peterqd. She gave you THE look Very Happy

Yeah, she's had her hooks into me ever since! Smile

Excelent Peterqd !!!

The pic of your g/f is very intimate. Something there seems to be a secret between both. And her eyes. . .

Congratulation Peter !!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
So let me be #1 to support this neat idea!

Shot using a Domiplan 1er f2.8/50mm @f2.8, full size image just resized, straigt from the cam otherwise...

...look at this OOF rendition!! (we call that "duftig" in german, I have no english word for that...imagine a piece of silk drifting in the wind...)

...and here the same shot @f11 to see how sharp that can get (I like the soft one I have to admit), just for comparison

I've never seen any samples from this lens, but looking at those images it cannot be as bad as many make out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiplan 50/2.8 1Q @2.8 :

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't suppose there's a prize for who lobbed theirs the furthest, is there? Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! no need to get expensive soft focus/diffused filters etc for portraiture...just buy this lens for peanuts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to compete with the nice shots shown above (I specially like Peter's oldies Wink ) but to show how does perform my best Domiplan on the Oly E-330.

All of them taken at ISO 400.

1. Closest focus (0,75m) and wide open (2.Cool. Bizarre bokeh...

2. Set to F/8.0 to get some sharpness (all the remaining)

Not as awful as I recalled, but definitely not a bright lens...

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Don't suppose there's a prize for who lobbed theirs the furthest, is there? Embarassed

Nope, but if you DID do that, you just know one of those mutts would bring it right back again Laughing

Excalibur wrote:
Hey! no need to get expensive soft focus/diffused filters etc for portraiture...just buy this lens for peanuts.

Haha, it's so true!! Get one stuck wide open Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who can resist a Domiplan challange. Great idea!
I originally planned to test a D200 that I have been offered to bye, but decided that this must be given top priority.

Stopped down a bit it's maybe not as bad as I remebered, but it's not exactly the first lens I will grab from the drawer in the future either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own Domiplan shot! What a nice lens!

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I have a Domi in the drawer that came in a bundle with the lens I really wanted, but I've never used it. That may be about to change...

Seeing the samples here, it seems that it was a simple budget lens that produced some sort of satisfactory result that would have been ok for the vast majority of users who would never have enlarged a print beyond what the photo lab gave them.
Maybe it's had a rough ride because we are now so used to better quality glass for not a lot of money and the humble Domi gets slated undeservedly - I don't think anyone ever claimed it was a great (or even a good) lens, when it was current.

Dave, I traded in a little Industar-50 when I got the Domi and even with 6x4 prints you could immediately see the much poorer quality. With slides it made a huge difference. The reason it sold well was that it was very much cheaper than even a Tessar, and a Pancolar or a Takumar were totally out of reach for the vast majority of people in those days, me included.

So I think the real point we need to understand now is that there are far better lenses available for the same price or even less today, for instance the Helios as you say, so the reason we bought Domis back then just doesn't apply. It's not worth buying one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots Sven and Peter! I don't remember being able to get near that quality with mine. I'm keeping my powder dry and waiting for some sunshine. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Very Happy

Hallo Peter,

I know this flowers from your test shots of the 24mm Tak last week. Are they real ? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Very Happy

Hallo Peter,

I know this flowers from your test shots of the 24mm Tak last week. Are they real ? Laughing

They are... Dutch flowers are strong! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Lovely shots Sven and Peter! I don't remember being able to get near that quality with mine. I'm keeping my powder dry and waiting for some sunshine. Smile

Thanks! A challange like this deserves to be taken seriously Smile
The ones I could get reasonably sharp was at f/8. Wide open it's a slightly different story.

Is there a pre-set function on a Domiplan by the way?
I haven't been able to find one, and on the Pentax with M42 adapater the automatic F-stop doesn't work. I had to open up and jam the iris actuator in order to get it to manual function.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution to this challenge. Today´s quick shots with Domiplan on short macro ring (hope this is not cheating Cool). Both wide open and hand held. Developed with RawTherapee without any color boost, only exposure correction. I definitely like the colors on booth and bokeh on second picture. Not sharp but like painting. Maybe poor man´s Trioplan...

Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 2.8/50 @ f2.8

Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 2.8/50 @ f2.8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: The humble and honest Domiplan. Reply with quote

Good night:

I think that all these good photos, they demonstrate that the "Cooke" Domiplan, it is not a lens so bad as some of they of them believe.
Also it is necessary to remember that these cheap lenses allowed to many people to be able to buy cameras reflex.

Bests Regards: David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should check for the domiplan averague value now. Maybe they sell for $50 now Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some super photos already, well done all! Very Happy

Here's a fun one from earlier this evening of Tasha's Nabaztag - an electronic bunny (NOT that type!!). I took it in the dark so as not to interrupt Harry Potter Laughing

This was taken with the one stuck wide open (I found it attached to a Praktica L in a box Surprised ) Those lights flash like crazy, so I used a 4 second exposure to make it look a little bit mad Smile

Oooh how I wish I could just use that unsharp mask command a little... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven , how did you manage to "jam the iris actuator " ? I took a Domiplan apart and modifying the diaph mechanism appears to be not obvious ...
Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Domiplan and food photography

Domilandscape

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Domilandscape

Laughing The best example so far!

Wow, you eat some weird stuff in Oz. I've tried some tough old kangaroo steaks but WTF is that??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calamari?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moleman is close enough, deep fried octopus and a favourite fast food amongst the local Vietnamese community. Gotta say I'm quite partial to them as well.
If the roo steak was tough then it was overcooked. Now if you eber want to chomp on a decent sized drumstick nothing beats emu. Gotta love our edible coat of arms.