Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So I have this new Komura 400/6.3 ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: So I have this new Komura 400/6.3 ... Reply with quote

I got the silly thing, $11. I suppose I'll see it in a week or so.

I guess thats not too much for a pig in a poke, which this is.

http://tinyurl.com/2uecr2

It looks like its one of those exotic arrangements where the lens breaks down into an optical assembly and a focusing assembly, plus a lens mount adapter. Here is another like it on ebay, with good pictures disassembled -

http://tinyurl.com/2o2m4y

From what I could find on the Internet, Komura made 300, 400 and 500mm lens heads go on the same focusing mount, so one could more easily afford/carry several focal lengths. I understand that Nikon and Novoflex had the same sort of thing.

The trouble with the one I bought is that it seems to be missing the lens mount adapter, which would normally screw in to the other end of the focusing unit. The screw mount may possibly be an M39, since I think these were natively designed to go on a Visoflex or Komuras own version of it. If so, I think I can rig something with an M39-M42 adapter, which I have, plus extension rings. If not, I will need some ingenuity or have another white elephant.

If it does work out, there is potential here to try out some more exotic optics on the focusing mount, starting with my ancient 15" Wollensak.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I look forward your test report!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing your results. At that price it's got to be really bad before you've not got a good deal...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, congrats !

That looks like a gorgeous lens to have on a display, if of course it's not a good performer - something that I do not wish you !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing just arrived (Komura 400/6.3).

It is much better than I expected, as far as construction quality, which is top-notch, and its condition is like new, not a single blemish or sign of use or a bit of dirt. It must have been put away for forty years. Its a beauty !

A rather heavy beauty, compared to my Spiratone, it must weigh twice as much.

It has an M39 thread for a Visoflex, as expected. I used my M39-M42 converter and a couple of extension rings, and it neatly focuses to infinity (and a bit over) on my Pentax - which is a bit of advice for anyone looking at a Visoflex-type lens like this - Kilfitts, Astro-Berlins, Novoflexes etc. - do not bother paying outrageous money for the specific adaptors with the weird names. Just use one of those $10 M39-M42 rings plus an M42 adapter for your mount.

Its too dark and too late for pictures, and the thing is too big for my softbox, so pictures later.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. It's true what you say about the over-priced proprietary adapters, there's often another way round it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken some pictures of the new Komura -

In its case -

The focusing mount, with M39 for Visoflex -

The objective, that screws into the focusing mount -

The lens hood - one of the nicest I've seen, its even got a knurled grip.

Assembled -

Here are the Komura and the Spiratone. About the same size, but the Komura weighs twice as much, or nearly.

My adapter, just an M39-M42 ring, an M42-PK ring, and an extension tube. The contraption lets the Komura focus from @5m-infinity, and beyond. Its on my Pentax LX.

A test shot, about 30m away -
[img]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2335666888_ba66cac2c9_o.jpg[/img]

Now if I can get my boy off his bottom, we'll go and find some birdies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Let see in real action!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took the boy to the San Francisco zoo, and took the opportunity to test the new lens.

Results for Komura 400/6.3

All at f/6.3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I never expected this result ! Many , many thanks for sharing! Wonderful examples!

ps: I fixed your links to image , more pleasant to see than click for each links

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for fixing the jpeg's ! I though this was some automatic feature, but it turns out you have been very kindly doing it all this time.

How do you do that ? I do not want to put you to any more trouble if I can do it myself.

I also was surprised at the results with the Komura. It makes sense though, as most long telephoto pictures depend a lot more on technique and good luck than quality of the lens. It is so much more common to spoil a picture with bad focus and shaking.

Even so, even after removing the focus and shaking problems and getting a "perfect" picture, the Komura is much better than the Spiratone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your very welcome ! Next time please mark img url and push img button it will put an img tag before the url and after . Edit your fixed post and you will see.

This Komura is far better than many 400mm cheap lens what is going on market.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ! Thank you, I will do exactly that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me from this beautiful samples 11 pcs in 5-6 MP size? I would put them into mflenses.com/gallery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look very promising...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy to !

Should I just mail them to you ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have following choices:

1)I am happy to see you between core members and give you an access in gallery and you can upload by self into your own folder and I will link from them into Japanese gallery.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/

2) I will give you an ftp acces to upload in pm

3) mailing

I prefer first if you intended to provide more full size samples from different lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice result Luis
This lens is a keeper
The pentax give superb colors even @ 800 iso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a real honor to be accepted as a contributor to your page !

I accept, of course. I only hope you will not be disappointed in my poor taste in lenses, as I really do like playing with cheap ones !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have really good taste , I am so happy. I will inform you soon in pm from your access.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm sent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi-Res picture are here

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Hi Res - even more impressive!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis: Five years later, are you still impressed?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done luis,excellent Bokeh. congratulations getting into Gallery.Regards