Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So I have this new Komura 400/6.3 ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five years on,

This lens is about as good as the Tokina made Mamiya 400/6.3 I have, which is pretty much the best 400mm I have tried. It is not quite as sharp as desired at f/6.3 on a 12mp APS-C sensor but more than adequate if used correctly.

As far as long tele's, my go-to lens is the Schneider 360/5.5 tele-Xenar, and it has been for several years. But thats mainly because of shorter min focus and ergonomic advantages of the Schneider.

I usually take both the Komura and the Schneider to the Fleet Week airshow, on alternate days. Not much to choose between them. Both are heavy enough to be steady for tracking shots. I find the much lighter Mamiya is less effective for this work.

No Fleet Week this year though, budget cuts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
No Fleet Week this year though, budget cuts.

Similar situation here. No Blue Angles or Thunderbirds at Sun N Fun this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis: Do you have a gallery of pictures somewhere? ...other than ones posted here? And did you ever straighten out that 500mm?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my Flickr -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22557486@N02/

However I don't have these properly organized or tagged.

This whole Fleet Week set would have been the Komura -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22557486@N02/sets/72157607954037707/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no, I haven't had much opportunity to test the 500mm.
This job requires an infinity view, tripod, and time to mess with the lens and test spacing, etc. iteratively until the best results are obtained. More free time than I have these days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air show shots look quite good.