Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

searching for a long telephoto lens 300 / 400mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Leica lens are we talking about? And which Leica mount?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I just bought a Soligor 400mm f6.3 and it's not the same as those shown in this topic. So, i'm wondering which is it and wether you know it.
This is a m42 mount wich can be quickly unmounted by a lever O-L

Here it is :

Any comments are welcome. Smile
I have just acquired one of these lenses, too. I've been led to believe that it's made by Tokina, during the late-1960s to mid-1970s.
If I am wrong, I am sure I will be corrected in due time. Wink

Mine is also a T4/TX mount with a M42 mount end, f/6.3-f/22, with tripod collar.
Looks identical to yours, Olivier, except that mine might be cosmetically less perfect. Embarassed

Hopefully, Luis will be kind enough to identify these lenses for us. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Soligor version of Tokina Automatic 400/6.3, in T4 mount. I have this lens. Bill (casualcollector) thought this lens was a bit uncommon, but it seems not !

Mine is sadly disappointing, its not as sharp as many cheap 300-400mm lenses of the period. There is no good reason why it should be, as this is a very simple lens. Perhaps there is some misalignment.

How are yours ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yep, Soligor version of Tokina Automatic 400/6.3, in T4 mount. I have this lens. Bill (casualcollector) thought this lens was a bit uncommon, but it seems not !

Mine is sadly disappointing, its not as sharp as many cheap 300-400mm lenses of the period. There is no good reason why it should be, as this is a very simple lens. Perhaps there is some misalignment.

How are yours ?
I have yet to get mine out for some shots, due to absolutely despicable weather, only very recently gone warmer.
I will attempt to bring it out this coming weekend, weather permitting.

Build quality is really excellent; I'm hoping it will perform optically as well.
My copy is near-mint in condition; nothing at all to be found on the inner optics
except the typical near-microscopic specks of dust.

Rear-outer element needs some cleaning, while the front-outer element
is just about as clean as it can get. I've done no cleaning yet on my copy,
though the spots on the rear element need to be taken care of.

Many thanks for the ID, Luis. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Wow, the photos of the bird by Soligor 400mm f6.3 is nice. The sunlight really make the difference. Is it very difficult to focus with the lens?

Yep, sunlight makes the difference.

I find it's easy to focus with it.
I have a chipped adapter ring with AF control. But with my EOS 40D, i also have a good viewfinder with a large bright view, 95% coverage and 0.95x magnification. It helps and i use the AF control just to get in range and then adjust with what i see in the viewfinder.

The Soligor 400mm's focus ring is soft and you don't have to rotate it too much to make the focus. Just a regret, the minimum focus is about 6-7 meters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: some pics with soligor 400 Reply with quote

Hello.
I'm back with some samples of the Soligor 400mm f:6.3
It's quite soft wide open and then quite sharp just opened at f8 !
I's fun to play with, even if you need a tripod.

Closed 1 stop at f8 :

The same pic cropped at 100% :

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier,

You are getting much better results than I am with this lens. You have a good copy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Olivier,

You are getting much better results than I am with this lens. You have a good copy.

Sorry for yours, Luis.
It's even sharper than what we see on these resized jpeg pics, especially on the last one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Novoflex 5,6/400 Reply with quote

...here are some teasers of my favourite Novoflex T-Noflexar 5,6/400....moon from a tripod rest freehand.....

Nikon D90 (M-mode) - Novoflex T-Noflexar 5,6/400 - ISO 400

Nikon D90 (M-mode) - Novoflex T-Noflexar 5,6/400 - ISO 200

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I've used the Leica 400mm f/5.6 with Televit, Leica 400mm f/6.8, Novoflex 400mm f/5.6, Novoflex 400mm f/5.6 T-Noflexar and numerous other long lenses (wildlife is my specialty).

Of these lenses my favorite for both optical quality and handling is the Leica f/6.8. It's sharp at full aperture, produces pleasing bokeh, shows very little flare, the color saturation is excellent, and it's lightweight and easy to use all day without fatigue.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/400r68.html

My second choice would be the T-Noflexar. At f/8 it's about as sharp as the f/6.8 Telyt, bokeh is equally good, color saturation and flare are not quite up to the Leica lens' standard. It's also much heavier and bulkier, doesn't balance as well on a tripod or monopod, and hand-held, it's shoulder stock isn't as good as the Leica shoulder stock. One advantage it has if you get it with the PIGRIF-C mount or the PIGRIF-B with extension bellows is the excellent close focus limit.

The Leica lens for the Televit isn't as sharp, has weaker color saturation, more flare and the Televit is big and bulky. Its price today reflects collectors' interest more than users.

The non-T Novoflex would be my last choice of these four. Before Photoshop I never got good sharpness or color saturation from mine and it has the balance problems, weight, and bulk of the T-Noflexar.

The 400mm Soligor photos posted in this thread are soft.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pics Douglas.
If i understand well, the first one is shot with the Leica, isn't it ?

I agree with you about the soligor 400mm above. They look soft.
On my computer, they are sharper. So, i tried to improve the treatment for resizing by making it directly from DPP.

Here is one with such treatment :

Still some loss of sharpness when i compare to my original photo.
How do you proceed and with which tools ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a local contrast issue with the cat picture, mostly to do with the lighting. Thats a backlit subject in shadow. This can certainly be improved in PP.

That 100% crop seems like it gets to or close to the sensor performance, which is about as much as one can expect of a lens on a DSLR.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlightphoto wrote:
FWIW I've used the Leica 400mm f/5.6 with Televit, Leica 400mm f/6.8, Novoflex 400mm f/5.6, Novoflex 400mm f/5.6 T-Noflexar and numerous other long lenses (wildlife is my specialty).

Of these lenses my favorite for both optical quality and handling is the Leica f/6.8. It's sharp at full aperture, produces pleasing bokeh, shows very little flare, the color saturation is excellent, and it's lightweight and easy to use all day without fatigue.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/400r68.html

My second choice would be the T-Noflexar. At f/8 it's about as sharp as the f/6.8 Telyt, bokeh is equally good, color saturation and flare are not quite up to the Leica lens' standard. It's also much heavier and bulkier, doesn't balance as well on a tripod or monopod, and hand-held, it's shoulder stock isn't as good as the Leica shoulder stock. One advantage it has if you get it with the PIGRIF-C mount or the PIGRIF-B with extension bellows is the excellent close focus limit.

The Leica lens for the Televit isn't as sharp, has weaker color saturation, more flare and the Televit is big and bulky. Its price today reflects collectors' interest more than users.

The non-T Novoflex would be my last choice of these four. Before Photoshop I never got good sharpness or color saturation from mine and it has the balance problems, weight, and bulk of the T-Noflexar.

The 400mm Soligor photos posted in this thread are soft.

Of course, LEICA IS LEICA.

Only zeiss can be pair.

Canon, Soligor, Pentax, Tokina, Minolta, Konica, Meyer, all come behind.

It's a good thing to recognize that also exists, in some cases, a difference in the price ( justified )

But independently of all the questions outsider of the photographic thing, LEICA IS LEICA (THE BEST).

And your wanderfull pics says that. (And that you are a very good photographer too).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Beautiful pics Douglas.
If i understand well, the first one is shot with the Leica, isn't it ?...

... How do you proceed and with which tools ?

The picture of the Yellow-billed Magpie was made with the Novoflex T-Noflexar using the Leica DMR digital back.

I use the camera in RAW mode and convert to a 16-bit TIFF using Imacon FlexColor software, then convert to 8-bit and re-size for the web in Photoshop with a little bit of sharpening on the L channel.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlightphoto wrote:
The picture of the Yellow-billed Magpie was made with the Novoflex T-Noflexar using the Leica DMR digital back.

I use the camera in RAW mode and convert to a 16-bit TIFF using Imacon FlexColor software, then convert to 8-bit and re-size for the web in Photoshop with a little bit of sharpening on the L channel.

Wow ! Shocked
Thanks a lot for this treatment e-learning.
Be sure that I shall give it a try.

Best regards.
Olivier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
Hi Timo
Ihave a more recent soligor 400 mm but i think the optical construction would be the same and who made it (Luis will know ? )
I find it very sharp and absolute value for money (they normally come cheap)

Old post back from the dead alert!!!

I just picked one of these up in beautiful condition (t-mount). I will now stop collecting the big Soligors as I have:

35/2.8
135/3.5
180/3.5
200/3.5
250/4.5
300/5.6
350/5.6
400/6.3
450/8
75-260/4.5
100-200/5.6

I also had a 200/4.5 pre-set but it was crap so I sold it on Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post some photos taken with it?? If they don't already exist..a new thread maybe??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will start a new thread once I have received the lens and taken some decent shots, and will link back.

This is the lens I have won:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few of these but would like to know how well they go before I commit... Very Happy Thanks look forward to seeing them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have a Novoflex 40cm f5.6 that is doublet lens, produce excellent results.
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/novoflex/novoflex_40cm_f5_6/

Hi Attila, I'm new to this world of photography, I've just bought a used Nikon D5300, and I would like to know if you recomend buying this lens for bird photography:

https://usedphotopro.com/novoflex-noflexar-400mm-40cm-f56-lens-utf-08-n40056-4-48488-f21d5438

any ideas or suggestions wil be apreciated

Carlos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi carlos welcome.

The ad you link to is for just the optical part of the novoflex. To use it you also need the two handle stock. For more info see here (and ccheck out the links):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/novoflex-noflexar-modular-pigriff-system-240mm-300mm-400mm-600mm-64cm.html

The price isn't unreasonable, but if you bide your time I bet you'll find the whole thing for not a lot more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the grip and the tubes are missing ; only the aperture and glass unit is included. BUT not only are the ad pictures carefully disguising the fact, but it is a plain Noflexar, not noflexarT which is reputed to be optially superior (not only for its flatter field on a 6x6).

p.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction: its identity is learly shown in the second side picture, not disguised.

p.