Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

searching for a long telephoto lens 300 / 400mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't offer the Soligor as a superior lens to the Leica, I mentioned it because Timo was saying that's the Leica was expensive (his point no2 in the original post & a subsequent post.)

I missed a Telyt 400 a few years ago; it was $400 & I couldn't fix it to the K10D at that time so I let it go.

Now, having seen the Soligor in all it's glory Laughing I might mention that there is one identical to mine on the Australian e-bay for $A15. A few days to go so it will probably go for more than that.

What is the difference in quality & how often do you use this focal length? I've actually bought a Tamron 500 mirror to take pictures of people that I'm really scared of and I can't remember when I used it or the Soligor last. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I never seen of this lens in this condition!!

Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful too! time to see a well used copy for usage, these are too good to use them Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I am glad we have same thinking ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
FYI, the Noflexar-T 400/5.6 is a triplet.

In fact, the name for the triplet lens is T-Noflexar. But I was referring to the plain Noflexar (see my post).

dickb wrote:
The older version of the Leitz Telyt, used with the Televit focus system, is a 560mm f/5.6. Fairly fast for a 560mm I'd say. It doesn't have quite the optical reputation of the 560/6.8 though.

That's my point: a doublet is not very sharp when used at wide apertures. That's why you won't find a good 300/2.8 or 400/4 doublet lens.

dickb wrote:
These lenses have a large image circle, some people even use them on 6*6 medium format systems. So even 24*36 gets rid of most of the softer corners.

Novoflex offered a specific range of lenses specially designed for 6x6 (240/5.6 and 500/5.6). The common Noflexar lens heads were not meant to provide optimal coverage for medium format. In fact, on my 400/5.6, the borders are notably soft when used on full 24x36 frame cameras.

dickb wrote:
I've never used the Leitz Telyt with a fixed R mount version, but I've got the Novoflex follow focus system and I've tested the Leitz Televit system. Both require some getting used to, but the Novoflex is far more user friendly in my view. And I've got both Leitz Telyt and Noflexar-T heads to go with this system, so I'm quite happy. I actually bought another set (Leitz 560/6.8 + Novoflex PiGriff) to get some more included accesories (PiStock, EF mount). Even for me, two 560/6.8s is a bit excessive, so I'll probably sell one again.

I agree about the Novoflex follow focus being more user friendly. If you want to sell either lens, drop me a PM.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
dickb wrote:
FYI, the Noflexar-T 400/5.6 is a triplet.

In fact, the name for the triplet lens is T-Noflexar. But I was referring to the plain Noflexar (see my post).
Abbazz

You're right, I was too hasty typing. I do own a plain Noflexar that certainly isn't a doublet, the 35mm f/3.5, but that is quite a different animal.

dickb wrote:
The older version of the Leitz Telyt, used with the Televit focus system, is a 560mm f/5.6. Fairly fast for a 560mm I'd say. It doesn't have quite the optical reputation of the 560/6.8 though.

Abbazz wrote:

That's my point: a doublet is not very sharp when used at wide apertures. That's why you won't find a good 300/2.8 or 400/4 doublet lens.
Abbazz

I understood your point to be that such fast lenses weren't made, not that they weren't very good.

Abbazz wrote:

Novoflex offered a specific range of lenses specially designed for 6x6 (240/5.6 and 500/5.6). The common Noflexar lens heads were not meant to provide optimal coverage for medium format. In fact, on my 400/5.6, the borders are notably soft when used on full 24x36 frame cameras.
Abbazz

Interesting to hear about the difference in image circle. Novoflex offers (used to offer?) modified follow focus mounts (PIstolenGRIFF) for several medium format systems: Hasselblad 2000 FC (HAPIGRIFF-C), Rolleiflex SL66 (ROLPIGRIFF-C), Mamiya 645 (MAMPIGRIFF 645-C) and Pentax 645 (TAXPIGRIFF 645-C). At this time the only lens heads on offer were the 400mm and 600mm lenses and the Leitz Telyt 560mm. So at least one of these heads was deemed good enough for 6x6 coverage.

Abbazz wrote:

I agree about the Novoflex follow focus being more user friendly. If you want to sell either lens, drop me a PM.

Cheers!

Abbazz

I'm not quite sure yet when or how I'll sell some of it but when I do, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Dick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Interesting to hear about the difference in image circle. Novoflex offers (used to offer?) modified follow focus mounts (PIstolenGRIFF) for several medium format systems: Hasselblad 2000 FC (HAPIGRIFF-C), Rolleiflex SL66 (ROLPIGRIFF-C), Mamiya 645 (MAMPIGRIFF 645-C) and Pentax 645 (TAXPIGRIFF 645-C). At this time the only lens heads on offer were the 400mm and 600mm lenses and the Leitz Telyt 560mm. So at least one of these heads was deemed good enough for 6x6 coverage.

Dick,

Here's a link the full manual for 1972 Novoflex Follow Focus lenses kindly provided by Yohei Suzukawa's on his website:
http://yandr.50megs.com/novo/novo1/novo1.htm

As you can see on the page 15 of this manual, there are two distinct lines of lens heads: the 280/5.6, 400/5.6 and 640/9 for 24x36 cameras, as well as the 240/5.6 and 500/5.6 for 6x6 cameras. The follow focus grip and rear mounts were also different between those two lines. Here's the relevant page of the manual (linked from Yohei Suzukawa's website):

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

But LEICA is, well, is LEICA.

Less fanboy please Rolling Eyes, and more actual samples or meaningful discussion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith G wrote:

The AI lens is not at all bad cosmetically (brilliant optically) but a bit of a clunker - a bit rattly with very free focussing and it was cheap, so it's not a tragedy!

Except that I just noticed it's not actually an 'AI' lens...!!

Right, neither of these are AI lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
estudleon wrote:

Less fanboy please Rolling Eyes, and more actual samples or meaningful discussion.

Hi.

Let me say LEICA IS LEICA. It's that I want to say and I say that. If you can't find the sense to my words I'm sorry, it's your problem and not mine.

Who are you to describe my words as nonsignificant discussion?

With your attitude I can describe your words as stupid but my education don't let me to do this.

No dictatorial attitudes, please.

Rino.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Timo
Ihave a more recent soligor 400 mm but i think the optical construction would be the same and who made it (Luis will know ? )
I find it very sharp and absolute value for money (they normally come cheap)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty,

Yes, I've seen that one. I don't have it though. I don't know who made it.

It is very similar in some stylistic ways to the Soligor/Vivitar 400/6.3 Automatic T4 lens, which I have, and which I find quite disappointing. That one is a Tokina.

I have the 450/8 preset in this style (like yours), and that one is absolutely a bad lens.

You roll the dice with these things.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
estudleon wrote:

Let me say LEICA IS LEICA. It's that I want to say and I say that.

Sure, feel free to repeat a brand name all you like, if such tautological utterances makes you happy.

But when you say, for example

estudleon wrote:

IT'S LEICA, please, no more words.

Then you seem to place one brand as being 100% positive, no possible flaws, and more importantly to stifle all discussion to the contrary. I can't accept that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
estudleon wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
estudleon wrote:

Let me say LEICA IS LEICA. It's that I want to say and I say that.

Sure, feel free to repeat a brand name all you like, if such tautological utterances makes you happy.

Thanks, I'm very happy. I can say LEICA is LEICA now.

Ah..thanks again, I can feel free.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
But when you say, for example

estudleon wrote:

IT'S LEICA, please, no more words.

Then you seem to place one brand as being 100% positive, no possible flaws, and more importantly to stifle all discussion to the contrary. I can't accept that.

You put in my mouth words that I didn't say.

YOU understand that "It's Leica, pleaso no more words", is equal to "Then you seem to place one brand as being 100% positive, no possible flaws".
Your interpretation is your problem, not mine.

I believe that before interpreting what I did not say, you must have consulted on the reach of my affirmation.

I believe that such hurry done by earth any possibility of one adapted discussion

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
Hi Timo
Ihave a more recent soligor 400 mm but i think the optical construction would be the same and who made it (Luis will know ? )

I had one of these when I was at school. I used it with a Zenit EM for shots at cricket matches. I thought it was pretty good then and only sold it a couple of years ago and got back what I paid for it... somebody rates it. Not sure who made it though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

I believe that such hurry done by earth any possibility of one adapted discussion

I see the words, but it doesn't seem to make a coherent sentence.

But thanks for lifting your "no more words" ban, I'm sure we all feel relieved now that we are once again allowed to discuss things on a discussion board . Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
estudleon wrote:

I see the words, but it doesn't seem to make a coherent sentence.

But thanks for lifting your "no more words" ban, I'm sure we all feel relieved now that we are once again allowed to discuss things on a discussion board . Rolling Eyes

I already see. you began the question and wish to finish it. Acceptance. Laughing Laughing

I hope that the next time you ask my before understand in the wrong way.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Hi Timo

I had one of these when I was at school. I used it with a Zenit EM for shots at cricket matches. I thought it was pretty good then and only sold it a couple of years ago and got back what I paid for it... somebody rates it. Not sure who made it though.

I have a 135/2.8 and 200/3.5 in that style by Soligor in M42 mount and presumed they were made by Tokina? Either way. they're both excellent Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200/3,5 Soligor, tokina made , is good.

Well . Is there, in this line, a 300 mm?

Rino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
200/3,5 Soligor, tokina made , is good.

Well . Is there, in this line, a 300 mm?

Rino

This 300 is on ebay??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Rino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Thanks.

Rino

I've seena 350 in that line as well, and I've got a huge zoom that looks vrey similar as well. I'm presuming they are all made by the same company, but who knows? Luisalgeria at a guess Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUIIISS.....phone!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shrek,

The 300mm you pictured -

Tokina. T4 mount on the Soligor version. Sold by everybody, @1968-1976. Very common. Nice lens, I have one in Sears brand -

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-lens-with-many-names-t6207,highlight,sears+300.html