Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian M39 rangefinders .Your experience ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, Ian, can't wait to try it with film. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill. You'll love it I'm sure and the J8 is a great performer on the NEX too. A J12 is wonderful on film, sadly you can't use it on a digital camera.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot? J12 can't be used on the NEX? Is it because of the rear element? Hummm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Wot? J12 can't be used on the NEX? Is it because of the rear element? Hummm.

Yup, J12 won't fit a NEX-3, I have tried both Kiev an M39 versions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several Fed and Zorki Rangefinders

The viewfinders and the builds are not as good as Leica M but all were very usable, made a lot of fun and they always had a good price performance ratio.

For use with CV Heliar I would recommend to use a Fed-2 etc., later russian rangefinders with lightmeters etc. are much bulkier and ugly

Although fast or long lenses (Jupiter-9, Jupiter-8, Jupiter-3 etc.) might be problematic on Fed-2 (small viewfinder magnification) for focusing short distances (1-2,5 meters) but I don't know which russian rangerfinder would be better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Drack, thanks, yes, will post pictures/review when I receive this! Smile

Teo, I've been looking at some flickr galleries for both Zorki and FED, an eye-opener.

Zorki 4 with Industar 61 L/D, Kodak film, flickr fave:

girl selling paper hats in Vama Veche

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but that picture has the most odd effect. If you let your gaze defocus it's like she's offering you a cigarette and squirming on the chair.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I'll have what you're drinking. Laughing Actually, you have a point, there is something
mesmerizing about it. She has one of most symmetrical faces for one, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
I had several Fed and Zorki Rangefinders

The viewfinders and the builds are not as good as Leica M but all were very usable, made a lot of fun and they always had a good price performance ratio.

For use with CV Heliar I would recommend to use a Fed-2 etc., later russian rangefinders with lightmeters etc. are much bulkier and ugly

Although fast or long lenses (Jupiter-9, Jupiter-8, Jupiter-3 etc.) might be problematic on Fed-2 (small viewfinder magnification) for focusing short distances (1-2,5 meters) but I don't know which russian rangerfinder would be better.

For the lenses other then 50mm, you need an external viewfinder. Luckily the Russians also faithfully copied the prewar CZJ multifinder which is actually really good, albeit a little bulky. There are also Russian made single focal length finders.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

For the lenses other then 50mm, you need an external viewfinder. Luckily the Russians also faithfully copied the prewar CZJ multifinder which is actually really good, albeit a little bulky. There are also Russian made single focal length finders.

Yes, the Russian multifinder is made really well and works great. Even thou the separate viewfinders for different lengths are considered to be more accurate i do not recommend buying them since they are rather pricy. Especially the 85 and 135mm ones.

P.S. A very nice kiev you have there iangreenhalgh1. Is that the boigon lens on it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Drack.

Yes, that's a Zeiss Opton Biogon 2.8/35 on a 1957 Kiev II. Camera is mine, lens belongs to a friend, I liked it so much I've bought my own copy now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hiya Drack.

Yes, that's a Zeiss Opton Biogon 2.8/35 on a 1957 Kiev II. Camera is mine, lens belongs to a friend, I liked it so much I've bought my own copy now.

Nice. A pricy investment, but it`s worth it.. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most expensive lens I have bought, I paid just over 400USD for a Contax IIIa with Opton Biogon which I think is a hell of a bargain consider how much you would have to pay to buy a different lens of the same quality.

On my NEX, it's stunning even in crappy light. Way I see it, I have a nice collection of lenses that are 7 and 8 out of 10, but this Biogon is 9 out of 10, a level up from all my other stuff so I had to have one for myself.

On the J12 copy of the earlier Biogon, I'm not sure whether it rates a 7 or an 8 out of 10, but it's a good 'un for sure.

Opton Biogon on NEX-3, very 3D rendering:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Zorki-4 (seems a second version PM 1765 ) from '61 Very Happy . No older than me
Wink The lens is a J8 (no red P)
A Fed is next Wink By the way : what about the small magnifying viewfinder of fed2 ? against the Zorki 2c?
F2 has the 67 mm rangefinder base wich should help with 85mm and 135mm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that Boigon has everything going...great piece Smile.

Quote:
A Fed is next Wink

If you need any help finding one contact me. I have some for sale right now and also have a couple of friends who deal in cameras Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo,

I second those recommending the FED-2 for your FED purchase - you are building quite a collection already. One thing I'm not sure others have mentioned about the FED-2 is that there is also a nice diopter adjuster, which certainly adds to the quality of and focus-ability of the admittedly small viewfinder. I'll also second the need to have it CLA'd after purchase. I sent mine to Fedka in NY after the shutter died, and they did an excellent job in quick time (including replacing dysfunctional shutter cloth). You might even think of buying directly from them. I'm thinking about it should I decide to venture out for a Zorki-4k ... Does anyone ave a preference for/against that model??

I have an early-version FED-3a to compare the '2' against, and prefer the longer RF base of the '2', having shot both with the same lenses to check. But the '3a' is no slouch.

I love my Kiev 4a too, if you want to try a non-ltm/m39 mount. Again I think it's the long RF base.

Good luck,
Lochlann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
Teo,

I second those recommending the FED-2 for your FED purchase - you are building quite a collection already. One thing I'm not sure others have mentioned about the FED-2 is that there is also a nice diopter adjuster, which certainly adds to the quality of and focus-ability of the admittedly small viewfinder. I'll also second the need to have it CLA'd after purchase. I sent mine to Fedka in NY after the shutter died, and they did an excellent job in quick time (including replacing dysfunctional shutter cloth). You might even think of buying directly from them. I'm thinking about it should I decide to venture out for a Zorki-4k ... Does anyone ave a preference for/against that model??

I have an early-version FED-3a to compare the '2' against, and prefer the longer RF base of the '2', having shot both with the same lenses to check. But the '3a' is no slouch.

I love my Kiev 4a too, if you want to try a non-ltm/m39 mount. Again I think it's the long RF base.

Good luck,
Lochlann

Thanks for your input !
The 67mm rangefinder base of the F2 is very appealing ( good focusing precision ) . The brightness of the viewfinder seems to me much more important in conditions of not-so-good-light . The diopter correction is a good thing (very good) if it works and stands where it is set to stay . If it moves by itself.... Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find mine stays set fairly well during a day's shooting, but yes, it can get shifted. I don't find it too annoying to be honest - maybe I'm too laid back. Good luck.