Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian M39 rangefinders .Your experience ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Russian M39 rangefinders .Your experience ? Reply with quote

I am about to get one. Because I can't afford M cameras and lenses .And german or japanese M39 RF also .So for M39 glass ,it's the only option ( I am looking for some Heliar experience in the future ,and maybe other lenses and the russians of course ) . Id like to know your experiences , opinions ,suggestions, tips.
Fed 2 is on the list (like the long rangefinder base and the look ) ,
Zorki 2C for separate viewfinders and look,
3,3M,3C,early4 and Mir for the1/1000, large viewfinder and the look .
5 and 6 excluded ( soooo ugly !)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is two important thing only.

1) love it or not
2) works or not

Smile rest of it no matter, they are so affordable, so you can buy a couple of one and decide by your self.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £2 for a really clean and tidy Zorki 4K that the seller thought was jammed solid. It wasn't, the shutter button lock was activated. Possibly the best £2 I've spent, I love the damn thing. I was given an Industar, very generously by a member here, which performs wonderfully. I have had some good sharp results from it. Would I have had better results from a very expensive German rangefinder? Almost certainly, but that would be down to the glass.
I have had to set the register distance of the lens mount, it was miles out! The rangefinder could be better, but I have poor eyesight and manage.
For me it's a no brainer, get a camera that works and then get great glass. If you put average glass on a Leica will it take great images ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Zorki 6 and really like it. Two big advantages of this model - lever wind (silky smooth) and hinged back (much easier film loading).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2 ? Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect Russian cameras and I have used more or less all the cameras that you have listed, so here is my opinion and recommendation:
Fed: Fed`s take up 1-3 place of favorite Russian cameras of mine. I have used all models from 1-5C and I loved them all. Buying a Fed-2 camera is a little bit risky because 95% of them are in need of a good CLA if no repairman has touched it or it hasn`t beed used in the last 10+ years. Mostly because the shutter speed`s are always off due to old oils inside. Fed-3 is a super cute and nicely made camera. It does not have a bright viewfinder as the Fed-2, but it has a bigger range of shutter speed`s and a more solid build quality. Fed-4 in my opinion is way too big, but despite that good to use. The Fed-5 line is probably the best camera you can afford. In my opinion it has the best price/quality ratio you can have. I have used my Fed-5B countless times and it never failed to surprise me. It`s built like a tank, has all the essentials, looks aren`t it`s strongest characteristic, but the results it produce are amazing.

I always found zorki line cameras to be a bid risk when it comes to shooting them. The majority of zorkis ( especially Zorki c,2C and 4) are in need of a full CLA. The reason - stuck, slow shutter. If I were to choose a zorki camera I`d probably go for either the 1 model( even those that have not been repaired since 1955 still work), the 4K (because of the wind up leaver) or Zorki-6. The Zorki-6 is my favorite camera of the whole zorki line. It has a SUPER bright viewfinder, durable shutter mechanism and a wind-up leaver which is very smooth. Howeve , I`d strongly suggest considering the Fed cameras first.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used all those different cameras but I do have a FED2 and love it. And I mean, love it. My lovely wife did pay over the odds a little to get one from fedka.com that had been serviced and therefore works like a dream. I think it was worth the little extra. Relatively small, not too noisy. focuses easily, diopter adjustment and the dubious advantage that people stop me and ask if it is a classic Leica! I've had some nice results with it. The only thing I dislike is the rewind which is slow and hard work.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Zorki 6 and FED2. I love them and currently using the Zorki 6.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

1) love it or not
2) works or not

Smile rest of it no matter, they are so affordable, so you can buy a couple of one and decide by your self.

I feel I'm having a GAS attck .... it's going to be a russian classic ...or two ...Attila , why did you had to say it ? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Attila wrote:

1) love it or not
2) works or not

I feel I'm having a GAS attck .... it's going to be a russian classic ...or two ...Attila , why did you had to say it ? Laughing

Laughing because I have 10-20 LOL most of them was 30-40 USD item so I did solve my curiosity. Most expensive what I bought an 1949 Kiev II with 1949 ZK 5cm f1.5 (Jupiter-3) lens , such a rare item I couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Attila wrote:

1) love it or not
2) works or not

I'd recommend a good Zorki 6. In good condition they are silky smooth.

I've no experience of the Kievs, but the iv is easily available and cheap, but the ii is probably better if you have funds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:
Attila wrote:

1) love it or not
2) works or not

I'd recommend a good Zorki 6. In good condition they are silky smooth.

I've no experience of the Kievs, but the iv is easily available and cheap, but the ii is probably better if you have funds.

I use a Kiev-4 and I have to say it is very nice. They are very cheap on the bay and really durable. The only thing that might cause problems is the light sealant which goes under the back side of the top plate, but it is easily to change.

But for starters I`d still suggest trying out a Fed-5,5B or 5C. Cheap investment with great results.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin ,Drack ,
I already have a Kiev II wich I really love and like to shoot with. I know that they are generally regarded as the better ones ( this already 30-40 years ago ,everybody said and knew that , but the M39 had their clients also , being lower in price . Not many could afford then a Kiev , they better went to the Feds and Zorkis -not to mention the Smena).
I already have a in Contax mount J8 that I am really impressed , and a Helios 103 (new condition , dirt cheap) wich I hadn't yet the time to test yet. Of course , a J3 would be nice to add and a J12 also.
The reason that I want a M39 is not to double the collection of Jupiters , but the ability to find in M39 a much larger palette of lenses (and I think here mainly at some Voigtlanders maybe ,but not only).
Drak, very good and interesting your opinions .I already have a Fed 5B .It came cheap but with a dent from the transport wich doesn't allow to wind the film in one move (the lever stops at midway ,has to go back and semi wind again ) .The rangefinder patch is somehow doubled in the upper part (maybe from the transport too ). I vastly prefer the Kiev viewfinder. But I would give another try to an already CLA'd Fed 2 (or one to send for a CLA ).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s a pity that your 5B was damaged and you were not able to see the full potential of it. I also do not love the viewfinder on the 5B, the Fed-3 and 5C has way better ones. Actually the 5C probably has the best one out of all fed`s. The whole idea of a 5C modification over the simple 5 model was the new viewfinder which also had frame lines. I have to say it is super bright and comfortable to use. ( and the light meter is also surprisingly good Smile )

If you`ll decide to go for the Fed-2 i suggest looking for a C version or the late D version. They are said to be the most durable ones and have the brightest viewfinder. Also the earlier ones from the B or A line are usually costly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , very useful info !Some times I'll get a 5C too ,based on your info.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:

Well, I took Drack's advise and bought this:
Click here to see on Ebay

Will probably get a Zorki 6, too.

Thanks to a fellow forum member, I have the Jupiter 8 (red P)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You moved fast, Bill !I hope you'll like it . The 61L/D for shure ,even if I find it a bit too long for city shooting. This is much more better looking that my 5B.
I'm on an auction for a Z4 + J8 right now ,for the beginning .

By the way , has somebody compared the red P J8 with those without red P ? is there really a difference for real life photography ?
I suspect that the later ones (black body)are multicoated ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

Well, I took Drack's advise and bought this:
Click here to see on Ebay

Will probably get a Zorki 6, too.

Thanks to a fellow forum member, I have the Jupiter 8 (red P)

Really hop you like the camera ! Looking forward for a review. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack, thanks, yes, will post pictures/review when I receive this! Smile

Teo, I've been looking at some flickr galleries for both Zorki and FED, an eye-opener.

Zorki 4 with Industar 61 L/D, Kodak film, flickr fave:

girl selling paper hats in Vama Veche

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re versions of the Jupiter 8 -- I have a '64 J-8M and it is a really nice lens indeed, lots of dimensionality. Recently a '50s Carl Zeiss Sonnar came into my possession, and next month I'll give myself a '57 J-8 red P. So I will be able to compare the three on film.

Here's some dimensionality from the 8M:

Stationary bicycling by Nesster, on Flickr

I have a Fed 3b / Industar-61 combo, which I do like, though obviously the Kiev/Contax bug has bit me bad. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't blame you and Ian, the rest, for your preoccupation with Kiev/Contax, beautiful machines.

The J8/Red P that was given to me was made in '55, excellent performer on my NEX-C3, looking
forward to trying it with film.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love it ! Have numerous RED P J-8 all great performer, use stopped down if possible , even if not bad wide open either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, thanks, love the bokeh already, one of the best from a 50 prime. Smile

J8 flickr faves

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I love it too. nice samples!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll toss in a few fave shots with my Jupiters.

1957 red P J-8 on Kiev II, Fomapan 100 in ro9:

1963 LZOS red P J-9 on Kiev II, Efke 50 in Paterson FX-39:

1967 LZOS J-12 (black) on Kiev II, Kodak Vision2 100T in Fomadon LQR:

1967 LZOS J-12 (silver) on Kiev II, Kodak Vision2 500T in Fomadon LQR:

1968 J8M on Kiev II, Kodak Vision2 500T in Fomadon LQR:

I've shot quite a lot of Russian RF lens for Kiev or M39 now, both on film or digital and I've also shot 7 or 8 Zeiss RF lenses that they are copied from and my opinion is that the prewar Zeiss are slightly better, the postwar are a bit better again, but the Russians are so good they are better than most SLR lenses and for the prices they can be had for, they are must haves for all mirrorless users. A Russian sonnar copy in great condition will probably outperform a Zeiss Sonnar in poor condition and certainly be much cheaper. If you are wealthy, go for the postwar Zeiss, otherwise, the Russians are essential imho.

Another reason I like the Kiev over the Zorkis and Feds is the Helios-103 lens is only available for the Kiev. It's a copy of the 1979 Summicron and can be had on ebay new for about 20 bucks, gotta be the biggest bargain out there, a really great lens.