Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NKK Super Wester-S2 6x6 folder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: NKK Super Wester-S2 6x6 folder Reply with quote

I've always liked the products of obscure Japanese companies from the 50's. Back then there were many "garage" camera manufacturers, most of which do not have survived into the 60's. I have obtained a few nice 35mm rangefinders from this era, such as the Royal 35 and the ACON 35 Model II (pictured below):

Now, yesterday I bought a 6x6 rangefinder made by Nishida Kogaku Kogyo (NKK): the Super Wester-S2. It was cheap so I didn't pass up on this one. If it still works is anyone's guess, but it looks very nice.

There's not much to be found on the net about NKK and the Wester cameras apart from the info on Camerapedia. Does anyone on this forum have more info?

Last edited by Spotmatic on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the NKK name on a couple of third-party lenses, 35mm and 135mm (Exakta or M42, I don't recall ) .

I was assuming this stood for Nittoh Kogaku K-something else, but apparently not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice looking cameras. I like the look of these Japanese startups as well, though I haven't yet been bit by the collecting bug.

I hope to see a couple of sample pics from each Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the camera. It shows some signs of use, but actually it's in a good working shape.

The leather (not leatherette but real leather) is very dry, as is the focusing helicoid (yes, it uses a helicoid for focusing). What can I use to grease the helicoid? The helicoid is easily accessible without unscrewing anything. Also, how to treat the leather? I'm a bit inexperienced here. Embarassed

On the plus side: the coupled rangefinder seems work perfect. The lens is clean and clear (based on the number of reflections the lens is a triplet) and the shutter works too at all speeds.

The best: the original box is perfect (for a box this old). Just some wear on the corners. The handwritten serial numbers on the bottom match the serial numbers on the camera. The manual (actually just a leaflet) is complete and not torn. Unexpected bonus: the JCII tag is also in the box, dated May 1956.

All in all a great historical piece! I'll run a film through it for sure. Pictures of this set will follow tonight...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
. What can I use to grease the helicoid? The helicoid is easily accessible without unscrewing anything. Also, how to treat the leather? I'm a bit inexperienced here. Embarassed

I would suggest a stable high-temperature grease. As has been suggested here, brake grease is good for this app. Why high-temp? It's resistant to running if the camera is left in the sun.
The leather is best treated with a couple of applications of saddle soap and allow each coating/cleaning to work its way into the fibres. Follow this with an application of Neats foot oil and let it soak in. Instructions for each will be found on their respective packets.
If you flex dried-out leather the fibres break and the damage is irrepairable. Saddle soap (and/or Neatsfoot oil) lubricates the fibres and penetrates the structure of them, swelling them slightly. Saddle soap has the dual purpose of cleaning and rejuvenating, so is worthwhile. It's also a fraction of the cost of many fancier treatments and a bar of it will last for years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, that's a lot of valuable information! I'm sure after a few days this nice piece will work like new again.

In the meantime I have made some nicer photos of the camera. Just scroll back to the first post of this topic...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great on your pictures. A bit of lithium grease will help the helicoid, I think. Are the bellows light tight? Allways good to check that before putting in a film.
Great pleasure with the oldie!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Minolfan, I have just tried that solution but I think I need to clean the helicoid first... It's still stiff.

Nevertheless, yesterday I have received the first results (on some very old Provia, I think 10 years old Smile) and everything was perfectly exposed and looking sharp too (all around f/4 and f/5.6). Based on the bokeh I think the lens is indeed a triplet.

I'll post examples as soon as I have a good scanner! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Nishida>
http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Nishida

About Grease> Nye 744 or HG-10
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/810185/0#lastmessage

The company NISHIDA was very old, its address does not exist today!!!
DO not forget to click "Nishida lenses" on other section.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing them there scans, Peter! Congrats, and is this
a coupled rangefinder?