Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D800?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Nikon D800? Reply with quote

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/03/the-name-will-be-nikon-d800-the-sensor-will-be-36mp-99-probability.aspx/

That sensor will need high-end glass to feed that 36MP. Big step from D700 but not for sport shooters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is true you need only few lenses. With 36 mp and hopefully very good texture capabilities you can crop "without end".

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is, what quality will those 36 MP be?
The 24x36 sensor is not a bottomless pit of resources.
For instance, Canon's full frame already lost one f/stop to diffraction when moving from the 5D to the 5DII
(last useful aperture before diffraction for the 5D is f/11, for the 5DII is f/8 )
and this is not something that technology can over-ride, it's a physical limitation.
New technology can help with noise, but if I had to choose between a 36Mp image that is over-processed in order
to keep noise under control, and a 16Mp where noise is naturally lower, I'd choose the latter without hesitation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember seeing rumours that the 1DS IV would also have some silly number of megapixels, 32 I think. To me, this is complete overkill (unless you want to crop), but for advertising billboard companies, and gigantic printer manufacturers, maybe it's perfect.

What I'm waiting for is the rumoured "6D"...an entry level full frame with a smaller number of MP, but better high ISO performance. Whether it materialises or not is another matter though! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake or real?

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/11/20/nikon-d800-vs-d700-body-comparison-and-a-poll.aspx/#more-26534

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find everything over 12~15 MP as total useless!!!
They should concentrate their R&D to increase the Dynamic Range and reduce Noise....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an invitation for the Nikon press event scheduled on Feb 7th. My Nikon rep knows I'm not interested in point-and-shoots so they only invite me when something on the DSLR front is announced - therefore I expect they'll announce a D800 (no surprise) as well as a few lenses (perhaps more of a surprise than the D800), not just the 85/1.8G AF-S.

My guess is: D800 with very big full-frame sensor, but not as sensitive as the D4.

In 12 hours I (and you) will know how right or wrong I was.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
What I'm waiting for is the rumoured "6D"...an entry level full frame with a smaller number of MP, but better high ISO performance. Whether it materialises or not is another matter though! Very Happy

If it matches or beats the current ISO KING - D3s, I would be in heaven!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

I very much suspect it will not, it wouldn't make sense to announce the ISO King D4 for the Olympics, and then announce another ISO King body. The D800 (if that's what's revealed tomorrow) will be a large full-frame sensor aimed at landscape photogs, studio photogs and pixel-peepers, and will not rival (or come close to) the D4 at high ISO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
stingOM wrote:

I very much suspect it will not, it wouldn't make sense to announce the ISO King D4 for the Olympics, and then announce another ISO King body. The D800 (if that's what's revealed tomorrow) will be a large full-frame sensor aimed at landscape photogs, studio photogs and pixel-peepers, and will not rival (or come close to) the D4 at high ISO.

Sorry I was a bit unclear, I am referring to the the rumored FF Canon 6D successor to the 5D MKII! Although this is a strange numbering since there is a 7D already.
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/canon-rumours-what-you-need-to-know-1030041

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to invest in new computer and tetra hard drives... Smile

Rolf, Hi !
Everything under control ? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, according to all the rumours, a 36MP D800 due tomorrow with high ISO performance at a similar level to that of the Nex-7, but in full frame terms. Given that the Nex-7 is one of the better models with an aps-c sensor, I would imagine the D800 will also be very good, although not up to D3s standards.

The next Canon is rumoured to be a 5D III / X with 22MP Smile

Let's see if the rumour sites get it right!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's announced: Nikon D800, 36mpix body, also available as "studio version" D800E (with anti-aliasing filter removed).

Dpreview hands-on preview of the Nikon D800 http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonD800/

I suspect there will be one available at the Nikon Finland launch event, starting in 1 hour, so I'll get my hands on it to see what feels different.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I suspect there will be one available at the Nikon Finland launch event, starting in 1 hour, so I'll get my hands on it to see what feels different.

Thx Lucius !
Some pics or video, maybe ? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was both a D800 as well as a D800E for hands-on trial. Both were prototypes, so we were not allowed to insert own CF/SD cards (the D800 & D800E takes both) or take files with us.

I shot test frames with both the D800 & D800E, using the 35/1.4G and new 24-120 VR lenses. The announcement was in a movie theatre with really bad light (spot-lit faces metered 1/40s at f/2.8 ISO 6400). I shot ISO 6400 images stabilizing the camera on a table but I can't tell you whether they looked better than the D700/D3 sensor's files because I couldn't view the files side-by-side on a computer. You can't properly evaluate dynamic range or color noise from a 3.2" TFT screen, especially when you don't know if the prototype had noise removal on or off. My initial impression about color noise levels was... I think it's better I don't comment because I really can't tell for sure due to circumstances.

When I asked the Nikon staff how D800 color noise at ISO 3200-6400 compares to the D700/D3 sensor (or the D3x, D3s or D4 sensors), I got the reply "this camera will be no slouch at high ISO, it will be very good", but obviously the D800 will not be able to match what the super-sensitive D3s (much less the D4) can. The D800 is a "high mpix lower ISO" camera, whereas the sensitivity/speed flagships are "lower mpix higher ISO" cameras. Detail obviously was... excellent.

I saw however a music video filmed by Morten Rygaard (band was Euzen and song I can't remember), filmed with 8 x D800 bodies. It looked stunning, of course impression is mostly due to excellent light and creative execution. The making of video was also excellent.

The D800 shutter sound btw is quieter and "smoother" than the D700. The D800 also felt lighter than the D700, something the specs confirm.

The impression I got was that the D800 is a full-frame for the enthusiast still photographer or indie movie maker, as well as the pro who shoots most of his/her stuff in light that does not require higher ISO. The video features are all you can ask for - really! The D800E with anti-alias filter removed will be appealing to those using 25-40mpix digital backs, DSLRs for example will require less sensor cleaning than a digital back simply because of physical design. I am quite sure a lot of landscape photographers will buy the D800E, but anyone shooting birds ie. feathers (voilà, moiré!) or faces (voilà, undesired skin detail and moiré on the suit) will opt for the D800.

It will however be painstakingly clear to anyone who buys the D800 or D800E, that they need good glass. Glass that shines on a smaller crop sensor will often turn out to be a mediocre performer on this large a sensor. Those who jump from smaller sensors will also have to pay a lot more attention to camera technique because even 1/500s or 1/1000s does not quarantee a sharp image unless you use a tripod and exposure delay mode to rule out mirror slap.

Over here, D800 sales start March 22nd and D800E is available April 14th, suggested retail prices in Finland, including VAT 23% were 2780 EUR (D800) and 3090 EUR (D800E) but they will of course sell for slightly less due to fierce competition between camera retailers.

Did I order one? Yes, the D800, I expect to receive it after March 22nd.

The official Nikon site is likely down by now, if you want full size sample images just hit me with a PM, I'll send you a dropbox link (I downloaded them already). None of them are at high ISO though, I think 640 was highest used.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lucius, for the first hand feedback.

Last edited by my_photography on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks indeed! Always nice to read about fullframe DSLR cameras.

Now please Pentax, where is our FF? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of the interesting specs:

Sensor: 36.3 Megabytes CMOS Fullframe (35.9 x 24 mm)
ISO: 100-6400 (with boost 50-25600)
Focusing point: 51
Environmental seal: Yes
Viewfinder coverage: About 100%
Screen: 921k dot, 3.2 inch LCD
Shutter Life: 200k
Continuous Shooting: 4fps (FX), 5fps (DX)
Movie: 1920 x 1080p/30-fps Full HD. Can select FX or DX based format
MSRP: US: $2999.95, UK: £2399.99, EU: €2829

More info at:
http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0207_dslr_01.htm
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikonD800/page2.asp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is that last week I stumbled upon this site

http://www.maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm

and I was given some serious thoughts as in buying a cheap digital Canon and removing the AA filter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mail is full of D 800 advertising and announcements, means it is official now in 2 versions -one with normal and one with the weak low pass filter

Last edited by 56 DIN on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the hands on update!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample shots!
http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/d_camera/nikon/d800/sample.jsp
http://www.nikon-image.com/products/camera/slr/digital/d800/sample.htm

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d800-d800e-digital-slr-hands-on-review-18420

D800E:
http://chsv.nikon-image.com/products/camera/slr/digital/d800/img/sample02/img_01_l.jpg

Recognize the US Wedding Photographer legend?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mautner, innovating and inspiring (I've attended his class, I felt privileged).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, Nikon have somehow managed to produce a very high megapixel camera with superb high ISO performance Shocked

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/The-Nikon-D800-is-the-new-king-of-DxOMark-with-a-score-of-95

Canon, I really hope the 5D III is in the same league!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First hour of shooting with the D800 today, dull weather and not more than 1 hour to snap some highlight/shadow testing. Tomorrow, the D800 will be put into use for a studio shoot. Based on a few hundred test shots I'd say DxOmark.com is spot on in their evaluation - dynamic range is better than digital backs I've used and detail is outrageously good provided that the exposure and camera stabilization is correct.

Some samples shot today, uploaded in original size here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vuokrakamera/tags/d800/

Anything you guys want me to shoot and upload? I have lots to do but in between there's always time for testing the D800 (at least until I get my D4 which will be my main body, the D800 is for studio work)

Last edited by Esox lucius on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total