Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Most stylish M42 PRAKTICA SLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That's a rebadged Praktina IIa Larry, the window is a direct viewer, not sure what they intended you to use it for, maybe fast action as the mirror wasn't instant return.

http://www.praktina.com/pcam06l.htm

Better than pentaprism to use in low light too

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like Praktica FX series looking best and Contax D.

Nice combo and nice photo! I admit i have forgotten on these early Prakticas when starting the thread.

Maybe this ad is a beginning of Praktica FX3 prices boom Wink : Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Laurence wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Well, my favourite Praktica is the one in my avatar. Anyone recognise it? Bonus points awarded if you can tell who owned it before me (he's a regular here)..

Orio? Smile
Nope, closer to home (for me).

Peter!
and
Praktica IVB!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
estudleon wrote:
My prefer praltica is the mtl5. My nostalgic cam, the alpa 10 D. I never had in my hands one of FX series. Seems to be solid.

Well I only got a MTL3 and MTL5 because they were attached to the lenses I wanted but would never have bought any M42 Praktica otherwise, but in saying that......they are a good solid, basic camera and would recommend them to beginners esp as being very cheap to buy.

Ditto here - and having got them I really want to keep them as they're hardly used and got a lot of life left in them. I did use Prakticas for a while when younger, belonging to a friend and was reasonably taken with them at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked the look of M42 Prakticas, from the Nova onwards. They are reassuringly solid looking and distinctive. When the "B"s arrived they were starting to look a bit plastic-y.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I have always liked the look of M42 Prakticas, from the Nova onwards. They are reassuringly solid looking and distinctive. When the "B"s arrived they were starting to look a bit plastic-y.

Ugly compared to a slightly more basic (no exposure meter) Pentax S3..I bought the chrome one new and still use it now and again.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/182972-all-black-s3.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Laurence wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Well, my favourite Praktica is the one in my avatar. Anyone recognise it? Bonus points awarded if you can tell who owned it before me (he's a regular here)..

Orio? Smile
Nope, closer to home (for me).

Peter!
and
Praktica IVB!

It's just the iv. It was the artist formerly known as Shrek that kindly sent it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:

That wasn't just look, it was plastic. But not all PB models. Last BX series were plastic for sure, before only parts of camera i think.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up an fx2 the other day.

its gorgeous (it being fx's) Just..., .. just flipping heck its pretty Razz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Plastik Reply with quote

MTL 50's are mostly made of metal, with brass gearing titanium shutters and alloy frame. The top and bottom plate is chromed poly-carbonate, as is the front panel. I've just finished surgery on two of these cameras, making one good one from two. I am impressed with the build quality of these cameras, as I have had to get close and personal with other models in the past. These were cheap cameras only in the west! In the eastern bloc they were an expensive item, the reason being an economic one, `they' were after western currency. BUT because they were cheap here, Praktica was regarded as a poor cousin of their dearer competitors. The only `failing' was they were a bit basic. BUT, Hey! pick one out of a drawer thirty years on, clip in a battery and a fresh film, then snap away like a pro!

There were a few MTL 50's with a built in problem, unable to focus infinity! Manufacturers fault, I don't know how many, the worse of my two was defective this way, could not see why, it just wouldn't on any lens!! Prism, screen and mount all looked okay, but only focused out to 15 metres or so. Any one else found this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my contribution. At first i did not know there existed a black one... when I saw it i had to have it! Looks just cool imho.

Black Super TL by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MTL50 which is a very nice camera, the shutter is a lot smoother than some much more expensive cameras I've tried. Yes, it is basic, but if you don't programs and green modes this does everything.

I've also got a really great condition MTL5 which sadly is jammed solid, I bought it for the CZJ lens but it would be nice to get fixed as it is in such beautiful condition otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy, I noticed that the release on this series Prakticar MTL50 is very smooth and predictable, also the wind-on is slick. Big fingers, in particular the right first finger, is a disadvantage, if only because the meter/stop-down lever is a little close to the release and knocks against the finger when releasing the shutter. Easily accommodated when used to firing off the shutter on this lovely camera. Expecting some results from its first roll of film later in the week.

Beautiful Super TL TrueLoveOne, a classic camera. If you fix your own, I Have a carcase MTL50 c/w shutter plus electronics (no optics), live Reading UK, Swapsies?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jup, black Super TL certainly looks distinguished. I have few in chrome and never liked them. I guess when you have many apples a pear is usually craved for Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Pancolart, you can't beat a nice pear!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to do it, but I've bought another Praktica, this time an EE2 with the Pentacon Electric 1.8 / 50. Rolling Eyes
It was filthy, I mean really horrible and disgusting. So bad that my dealer at the charity was going to throw it in the bin but she thought I might like a look. I donated £2 and took it away. It's scrubbed up very nicely, the lens is immaculate and fungus free, no oil on the blades, all smooth. Very Happy The camera works mechanically but it's had a leaky battery so I need to get it properly cleaned up. And that is damn near perfect under the grime.
I imagine this was a good camera in its day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pancolart: pears! that is why I loved this black one immediately ! Wink

@Lloydy: I have an EE2 too! it's on a shelf in the living room, also a black one, these were the luxury Prakticas imho!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the EE2 work with an AA battery ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Will the EE2 work with an AA battery ?

Lloydy, a link to follow mate:- http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_px21.htm

If they cannot help, there's an item on one of these lists describes `how to' with button cells, plastic tube and spacers?? But it's nicer with the `right' gear, eh?

Lucky blag from that charity shop £2?
VBR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostalgia ,eh ? It's really about a Praktica that I never afforded when they were in the shops ,here .Maybe it's time at last to get one . The same for Exaktas Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't actually work with an AA battery init, but it show movement on the needle when the battery test button is pressed, so I'm hoping the camera wasn't damaged by the slight leakage of acid. A drop of vinegar sorted it out.
I think I'll try the button cell conversion as I have got many other cameras that use them, such as the Olympus OM 30 that takes about 6, I can buy them in bulk then. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This prompted me to go and have a look at the LTL-3 I bought for the lens, a few years ago. Actually, it came with a small kit; the Pentacon 50/1.8, Pentacon 135/2.8 (not the bokeh monster) and a Soligor 28/2.8. I think I only paid £15 for the lot, iirc.
Anyway, when the gear arrived I was taken up by the lenses, and ignored the camera for ages, just bunging it in a drawer and forgetting about it. A couple of times I've meant to take it out and give it a spin. It's got a shutter clunk like Madame Guillotine, but apart from that is quite a solid feeling piece of machinery. It's boxy and nothing special to look at but I resisted throwing it out, as so many people did when they were dirt cheap or free, because it was once someone's prized possession and it still works fine.
I don't know whether this one has a titanium shutter, but it's certainly vertical metal and might well be titanium for all I know.
I was introduced to Prakticas at an early age by my friend's father, who swore by them; saying, "You'll never find another camera as good as these for the price", and you know what? He was right, after all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You clocked the prices in that link then Lloydy? It's the way of unusual things, to be expensive for what they are, unfortunately.

There's not a lot wrong with the basic Praktica, Farside, all the M42 models were as good as the far eastern promise, where Japanese offerings scored were with innovation, cosmetics and clever marketing. They were better too, at small plastic parts, something that Eastern Europe struggled with, just look at a BX? But the M42 Prakticas were made to a very high standard, then sold cheap (£49.99 in Dixons during the mid seventies.) and because of this, serious photographers didn't take them too seriously. Left mainly to the wannabe amateur with his Zenit's'n'Zorky's, cheap meant a dogs life and mostly a short one, Just like the Lada's and Skoda's, cheap meant low value in the wealthier west and so treated it as such. In reality, back in the land of their origin however, these were an expensive item, luxury goods with a high price tag and once purchased, a prized possession, carefully looked after and used. They were cheap here, because they were practically (no pun) giving them away, not out of the goodness of their hearts however, they wanted european currency, badly. It was their only real trade option and the UK would do well to learn lessons from this and not just at government level

The Praktica comes from where once was made the finest cameras in the world. From whence came Carl Ziess, Ernst Leitz's Leica, Contax and many more still famous names from this industry. The west salvaged some and retained them in western Germany, but the Russians blagged the lions share, so leaving the door open for the Japanese to enter the market. Under Russian rule the industry continued, working conditions were harsh and basic, despite this their products were well designed and made to a high standard. The Russians of course had creamed of the best workers and equipment to use in their own factories, this can be seen if you examine their products that are based on Leica and Contax designs.

A testament to the East European camera industries quality can be seen in the number of these cameras that can still be obtained, still fully functional, forty years or more, on.

Last edited by MTHall on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have a MTL50 which is a very nice camera, the shutter is a lot smoother than some much more expensive cameras I've tried. Yes, it is basic, but if you don't programs and green modes this does everything.

I've also got a really great condition MTL5 which sadly is jammed solid, I bought it for the CZJ lens but it would be nice to get fixed as it is in such beautiful condition otherwise.

Lloydy and anyone else who've had this problem, I just received this tip that may relieve this particular problem:-

if you remove the lens and look in the front of the camera -on the upper left side,near the back,there is a square metal tab---this tab is hung up--not sure,but I think it's probably has to do with the double exposure prevention lock up----take a small screwdriver or pen and push the tab towards the rear of the camera,while trying to wind on/press the shutter release.

There also might be an issue regarding using the shutter release while the self timer is set. The self timer function should be triggered when once it is set BEFORE using the shutter release button. Because with some cameras, this feature is infrequently/never used, its function can become unreliable and stick. There is a position in it's travel, that were it to stop in that position, could cause the shutter release to malfunction. This can apply to other makes of camera too, where the shutters release mechanism is shared between the self timer and shutter release button.

Hope it works for your MTL 5 Lloydy

VBR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a job for tomorrow, thanks for the tip. Very Happy