Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

If you were a flower ....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: If you were a flower .... Reply with quote

...and you want to make sure bees would find you, would you look like this?

Well another one of my "bee vision" series, so what you see here is UV+Blue+Green, in this case a Rudbeckia fulgida. The petals are all yellow, no visible pattern and the center is pitch black ("Blackeyed Susan") - well ,only to the human eye...

[Maybe I should say a bit more about this: Grass and foliage also reflect a lot of UV. So "just" having a high UV reflection doies not help a flower much to be found by its pollinators - it needs a bit more "creativity". So how to make sure to stand out of the crowd? Some flowers found a tricky way, they create a "landing platform" for bees and bumble bees, consisting of concentric rings, like that white and another green one. And inside there is that bright UV reflective center. But only with the help of these contrasting petals around it stands it out. But why is that invisble to us humans? Very simple actually, since nature is so efficient: we don't pollinate flowers, so why should the flower develop something visible to us?]

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fascinating pictures and information - thanks

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Klaus, indeed it looks like a landing platform.
Thanks for the explanation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick + Sandy!

Watch out for the forthcoming BBC1 Series "Invisible Worlds" in Spring 2010 - there will be more to see about my work....

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the phoot, or the info ? The two, I think Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus. I learn things that I did not know about. Very educative.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most welcome guys! I know it is quite a bit exotic, but since I use manual lenses for that, I thought I could share that a bit with the community here...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bee vision series is quite fascinating. I had never considered the way other life sees the world. Thank you for opening my eyes just a little wider than before Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most welcome Graham! If I achieved that, I'm happy, since this is what it is all about!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these shots you have shown have been informative. I had no idea until you series of shots.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great sample Dr Klaus, the global view help a lot to understand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY, interesting, indeed!!!

THANKS for your lessons ...

tf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is FANTASTIC and really interesting !

Cheers
Tobias