Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to increase popularity of film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: How to increase popularity of film Reply with quote

What do you think what we able to do to increase popularity of film ? I found in landscape photography film is still better than any DSLR and we are in 24h in my opinion to try to save this technology. If we lost no more fun with old cameras any more. I think old lenses on right way now this forum and similar ones helped a lot for them in past years. I wish to see same improvements on films too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in the case of film, they might be so far along on improvement over the last 40 years or more, that they won't be improving much more? However...I know that things can seem as "improved" as possible, and then along comes something better!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought how we can increase number of film users.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I thought how we can increase number of film users.
I see. I'm thinking that it would take a LOT of time on an individual level to "recruit" more people into film's virtues.

Hopefully, on a more gloabal approach, places like here and photo.net and APUG and other film-friendly sites is the best that could be done.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing for having experienced myself, what great fun is to develop and print at home, I think that the best move would be to create a Darkroom forum, where to teach how to develop and print at home, make a FAQ and offer advice on the equpiment, show the prints that we make, and show that old cameras can be used to make perfect large prints. It will be useful to also provide the photos of the old cameras and lenses used.

Another possible forum to push film use is a Slideshow Gallery, where to post images obtained only with colour slides, and preferably as a series, that is, like when you load a set of slides in the projector.
Every gallery will have to specify which film was used, which camera and lens, and provide a photo of the camera and lens used.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over at the Pentax forum, we've recruited or re-upped several film photographers, simply by having more fun than anyone else, in their film SLR section.

The thing is, it has to be fun and broad enough to encompass the sticklers for technical perfection at one end, and the lookit how cool the crappy film artifacts are crowd at the other.

As we all know from personal experience, the enthusiasm of others is infectious and reinforces our baser obsessions Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen through numerous forums that some people using digital , and have never used film before, like the rendition of the "old" cameras.

And more unpredictable is that some people that have tried digital, are disseapointed and buy film camera and after would develop/print their film by themselves, which is a better choice cause nowadays labs are scarce and have no interest in doing this, their users are 90% digital.

Besides quality is low and prices are very high. You can easily develop film at home having same results that a lab ( in C41 at least ), as for b&w you can control your images, by going in developing times, pushing the film etc.

A developing sub forum, would be a very good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 with the developing subforum idea!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First it was LBA very quickly supplanted by CBA... Now I'll get DBA Shocked Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think developing forum and others are important, but more important is an individual 'Film Only Gallery' topic with oversized images allowed. Artworks, testphotos etc. welcome but camera type, lens, filmtype, scanner type info required.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing your own film is perhaps the best way.
I juat have realized again how expensive it is to have films developed and scanned on CD by a lab.
If I had used only film in St. Petersburg, I would have paid about €100,- only for develping and scanning costs!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why only "developing" forum?
Let's make it a "Darkroom" forum that will cover developing and printing.

Developing is only half of the story.

You fully enjoy film in two cases in my opinion:

1) when you have your slides show projected on the wall

2) when you are printing your own negatives.

-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about above Orio please make it, Darkroom, Slideshow gallery etc

Thank you guys for these great ideas!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I agree about above Orio please make it, Darkroom, Slideshow gallery etc

Thank you guys for these great ideas!

OK, I will reorganize to achieve a better functionality of the forum while giving Film a separate category to put it under evidence.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Developing your own film is perhaps the best way.

Damn yes it is ! besides you don't need much space, and the work you do is sometimes better that professional labs, i swear Laughing

equipment cost for a basic development kit is about 50€ chemicals included. i'm not good at maths , but this makes the development price very affordable, as with one bottle of developer you can make up to 20 film some even more, for color developing its even easier with the C41 kit ( about 20€ ) and you can do up to 16 films.

Easy and quick as you mix the chemicals just once, then its stocked. All you have to check is a adequate developer temperature : 38° 0.3 ° ~ but i've done at 39°.

Okay enough writing, way to go to the new forum Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea - It surely will encourage some more converts to the darkside and others to revisit.
There's a crossover of course, film printed digitally and digital printed in the darkroom. You can make very nice platinum prints from inkjet 'negs' for example.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New forum layout simple EXCELLENT many thanks Orio!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excellent job, Orio x2.

Though nowadays I seldom shoot film, I still have more film cameras compared to digital. Film will always stay and a lot of us will stay with it too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very very cool, x3, thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Knowing for having experienced myself, what great fun is to develop and print at home, I think that the best move would be to create a Darkroom forum, where to teach how to develop and print at home, make a FAQ and offer advice on the equpiment, show the prints that we make, and show that old cameras can be used to make perfect large prints. It will be useful to also provide the photos of the old cameras and lenses used.

Another possible forum to push film use is a Slideshow Gallery, where to post images obtained only with colour slides, and preferably as a series, that is, like when you load a set of slides in the projector.
Every gallery will have to specify which film was used, which camera and lens, and provide a photo of the camera and lens used.

Excelent, once again.

But I think that the one of the problems is to convince to the users of digi cams only, why is useful to do largeprints. The images of digital cameras share by Internet, and with the large prints will do the same. Not stimulates to change or to add the film use.
The real reach of the virtues of the use of the film cannot be appraised suitably by Internet, since it does not replaceto the contemplation of the copy in paper in front of us.
It is a problem that appears difficult, in my way to see

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think we should just relegate the film forum to slide images; print images should also be accepted and discussed. We should also discuss how to properly scan the slide and print images for maximum clarity.

Larger formats should also be discussed.

The problem with film is the added expense. In today’s economy this can be viewed as a huge drawback.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not using digital, but i think that the expense is also done when you're post processing the images and recharge the batteries, in terms of energy costs. I can't compare , but it can be an issue.

Film shooting is something slow, and i like it, i like taking time for pictures Very Happy. Now i shoot like 2 rolls a months , sometimes less , sometimes more. Besides you don't shoot at will, i've hesitated much time when being on the edge to press the trigger. The pleasure overtakes expense, besides i spent more in lenses and stuff ^.^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
I don’t think we should just relegate the film forum to slide images; print images should also be accepted and discussed. We should also discuss how to properly scan the slide and print images for maximum clarity.

The problem with film is the added expense. In today’s economy this can be viewed as a huge drawback.

Film has expense right, but how much cheaper a film camera + film +processing cost than a good digital camera. Also how much money need for every day life ? A film + processing cost <= a cheap lunch . So not expensive at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Film has expense right, but how much cheaper a film camera + film +processing cost than a good digital camera.

Well!! 100% agree.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Film has expense right, but how much cheaper a film camera + film +processing cost than a good digital camera. Also how much money need for every day life ? A film + processing cost <= a cheap lunch . So not expensive at all.

I'm all for the idea Attlia, but when we start talking chemicals, paper, bottles, measuring cups,clamps,ect, ect.The price JUMPS way up. This would only refer to the home development.

Processing a roll of 35mm is about 6.00 USD, so yes this is not bad. I shoot film quite often. Also purchasing an older film camera such as Chinon, Fujica and such can be rather cheap. So I do agree with that.

The problem is that many digital users are pampered with the view now concept. They also have memory cards that allow them to shoot thousands of images which they save to their computer for free.

No cost at all to them. Maybe a bit of energy, but that dosent add up to much.

It's very hard convincing these new shooter that film is a great format. I have been involved in many heated debates about film verse digital. These new guys just dont want to listen. Visit a few digital sites and mention film, you'll see what I mean.

Im all for the idea, I love film so I would like to see this added to the site.

Is it possible to network with other film friendly sites? Perhaps place such as APUG? It would be nice to have direct links to other supporters.