Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to increase popularity of film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter, I remember this thread, the Kodak film doesn't look bad, but
the Velvia 50 with the Yashica-Mat really stand out in the thread. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what I have done and persuade everyone who has some old slides or negs to buy a scanner.I did and was so bold over with the colours of my Velvia and EBX 100 slides that I am awaiting delivery of an EOS 100 bought for a song on ebay.Once people see the cheapness of high end film cameras this may also persuade them to at least dabble in the old technology.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please convince me and help me to become a film shooter!

I want to, since long..I am embarrassed to admit that I have 4 Pentax and 1 Minolta SLR, 1 pre-war folding medium format camera, a Yashica, Pentax and Agfa rangefinder and have not shot any film with them yet!

Well I did with the Minolta XG1 and the Pentax rangefinder time ago, but not again since I took up photography again abt. 2 years ago. I had inserted films and started to shoot with a few of them but never have finished any roll. Why? I am completely at loss how to proceed once the film is taken, specially how to scan to get the data on my PC.

So please, for me and anybody in the same boat ( and I guess there may be quite some ), how about a sticky explaining: How to shoot film in our digital era?

the most basic information I'd need:
- how to scan?
- do I need to buy my own scanner
- or can I get scans done?
- what are the are the minimum requirements for both above and their respective costs?
- are their issues scanning negatives as opposed to positives ( slides )?

and then:
- which films best to use for which shoots: B/W, color film, color slide
- if I let develop, what to consider?
- if I let print, what to consider?
- if I do B/W developing myself, which chemicals are recommended, what other things to consider?
- what are the minimum requirements for the enlarger ( enlarger lens? )
- which paper to use for B/W, color?

I know many of these questions cannot be answered generally as that may be according to personal taste, but some guideline would be so helpful

You may say that all the information is out there, it will, but there are so many questions and one would have to research long time which one could put off, does put me off to start.

Is any 'film beginner's guide' answering these and/or other important questions feasible?

best greetings,
Andreas

( on a personal note: I do have some experience developing B/W film and doing B/W prints, but that is over 25 years ago. An other reason why I have not yet started shooting film again is that I am on the road most of the time, therefore I mostly I would have to rely on public services to develop and print )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcom back to the film shooting Andreas. Very Happy

quick answers : for b&w easy films are ilfords fp4 and hp5. you can also look for agfa apx and neopan acros 100. color films , well fujis , agfas, kodaks.... i can't say which one is the best so far, i haven't used much.

doing developing yourself : you'll do a work close to a pro lab ! ( i'm not kidding ) if you do things correctly, and you can influence the process by doing more / less developing time in order to give the best rendtion in terms of contrast. that's for b&w. look for universal devlopers : tetenal ultrafin and Rodinal ( also named foma R09 new ) .

for color its simple : get a C41 Tetenal kit. you can develop up to 20 films, chemistry is mixed just once, then all you have to do is to maintain a temperature of 38° for the developer in order to process. then chemistry is stored an re used : you just warm the bottles each time ( don't cook them Wink )

then get a scan , make sure your films are dust free, a good thing is an antistatic rag, workx fine for me.

i say to develop at home cause its better and cheaper, though pro labs do the developing/scanning burning, but they can mess up the work. so if you mess it up at home, you don't pay . money is not the issue though, it s rather the whole developin fun Very Happy

... other infos will be given by the members, hope it helps though

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I did look into this but, by the time I buy all the stuff I need, I'm going to be a good way into affording another digital body. Bottom line is I'm not going to bother with film for now.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad_Sunday wrote:
Hi guys, I did look into this but, by the time I buy all the stuff I need, I'm going to be a good way into affording another digital body. Bottom line is I'm not going to bother with film for now.

Pete

It's OK, Pete, in the old days we would have tarred and feathered, then
banished you, but we live in gentler times, now. Laughing

What digital body are you after?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete.

If you like the B&W, the film is simple: C 41 chromogenic film, with a cheap body (you have the lenses).

It's better than the digital B&W for me.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Mad_Sunday wrote:

Pete

It's OK, Pete, in the old days we would have tarred and feathered, then
banished you, but we live in gentler times, now. Laughing

What digital body are you after?

I was thinking about another Olympus, they do seem to be the least expensive and the easiest to find lenses for. I have the E510 so a 410 or 500 would be fine.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete - Are your lenses M42 mount? Prakticas and Zenits can be had for the price of postage and do the job. All the kit to develop B&W negs doesn't cost a lot. The only expense may be a scanner if you don't have one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have M42 and OM mount lenses and converters for those for my E510. I figure getting another Exxx will allow me to use a converter/lens on each camera. Not really into B&W yet but who knows what I might get into one day.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the small unofficial italian forum of Canon the user Spiderfrank has a brillant idea:
Mandiamo in vacanza la vecchia fotocamera!!!, ( il giro d'Italia fotografico )
In summary the idea is to use a dirty cheap film camera body and send it to any user of the forum that he want take a roll.
Then the user put two o three shoot in the album.
After that send the camera at another user.
In the end is possible obtain a tour of Italy!

I think a similar idea is very good and could even improve:
- they send only the body because "all" are canon user but if you send a dirty cheap analogic camera with a 50 mm every user can use it;
- at the end of the year create a photo exhibition of the tour that has been done by the camera.

I believe that in U.S.A. it is possible to achieve a photo exhibition without any problems and if the idea gets successful, who knows, might even make a film!

Regarding the copyright of the film, unfortunetely this isn't my idea so I' m would be glad is on the eventual film will be indicate that thanks to me you have received this idea of another user. Smile

In the end this is the america dream where every idea, if well developed, can bring incredible results. Smile

Note:
For access in that forum you must registred (free).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that during the digital era there is a lack of basic knowledge about "how to".
If you want to make BW you don't have darkroom, changing bag (new-$20) is all you need to load developing tank. Developing tank for 35/120/220 costs $55- new, for 4x5 costs $85-new, darkroom thermometer ($10 used, $20 - new), negative clips to hang them and dry, graduate glass
The only "chemistry" to develop BW film (35,120/220, lf) is Rodinal - cheap $20 17oz, good enough to make 300 4x5 negatives
To see your results is necessary to have photo scanner -very good one Epson V500 - new, costs $160 +S/H. This scanner allow you to reverse BW negative to positive, and rest is only your knowledge of pp software if you like more sophisticated results. Of course if you will fall in love in analog photography, color - you have to step forward and have more equipment and you learn more but this is another story

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to get a very good scanner for 300.00 USD?

Which would be a good choice in flatbed scanner's for scanning negatives?

I have a Canon 8000F, it's OK but really not what I'm looking for.

Which is the preferred choice on these boards?

Last edited by spiralcity on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it can be. A V500 seems very good, a Canon Lide 300 ( the last one ) is also a good choice for neg scanning , and a huge plus cause it doesn't need a power source supply , just the usb. I have a V300 and it is very good for what i need : scanning negs, cost 90€ new.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Of course it can be. A V500 seems very good, a Canon Lide 300 ( the last one ) is also a good choice for neg scanning , and a huge plus cause it doesn't need a power source supply , just the usb. I have a V300 and it is very good for what i need : scanning negs, cost 90€ new.

All my film pictures scanned with Epson V500 I don't know how much better others, but I like really.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i couldn't see much of a difference with a V500 and mine. All pix i posted are scanned at 600dpi if i recall, and they're pretty decent. Until i have a serious darkroom to make prints its the only way to make a selection and post pix here an there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Which would be a good choice in flat bed scanner's for scanning negatives?

Few days ago I found deal as $160 with free shipping for Epson V500 but now it disappears. The next choice is newegg here .
For the next Camera Club meeting I will bring mine, and we will scan color negatives 6x6, 6x4.5, 35mm, and BW 4x5. As far I know we will have also "studio" with background, lamps, flashes and we well learn how to take studio portraits.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys... Smile

I'm not so sure a flatbed is the best way to go but I also dont want to pay 1,500.00 + USD for a negative scanner... Shocked

I heard a lot of good things about the Epson V500 but the best deal I seen was 169.00 USD for a refurbished unit.

Voytek, thanks for the link. That looks like a fair price.

I was looking at a Nikon, but it's beyong my budget.

Nikon Super Coolscan 5000

Last edited by spiralcity on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Which would be a good choice in flatbed scanner's for scanning negatives?

The short answer to your first question is "yes." I recently bought a clean used Epson 4990 for $200. This is the model the V700 replaced, and considering the V700 sells for about $500, I thought $200 for the 4990 was a good price. The Epson 4870 is also a good choice, very close to the 4990 in terms of capabilities and results.

I chose the 4990 (or would have bought a 4870 for somewhat less most likely) because I wanted a scanner that was capable of scanning 35mm, medium format, and 4x5. HP makes a scanner (don't recall the model number now -- 4812G or something? -- but it sells for about $200 new), that will also scan up to 4x5. I bought one, and was VERY disappointed with its capabilities, and returned it. My five-year-old Epson 3170 did a better job than that new HP. Plus its software was horrid.

Anyway, I have been very happy with the scanning results I've been getting with my Epson 4990. Mostly I've been scanning 35mm and medium format negs -- both color and B&W -- and I really like the overall quality of my results.

Best,
Michael