Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How blue is blue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: How blue is blue Reply with quote

Tried to capture the "blue moment". But which one is the right blue? Now I understand the neccessity to calibrate white balance on site sometimes.

EDIT: really bad jpeg compression on the last two .. file size only 32k though Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6500 looks quite natural for my taste ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to portrait the feeling rather then documentation, then there is no right or correct one. I would go for: 4500 or 5500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus wrote:
If you want to portrait the feeling rather then documentation, then there is no right or correct one.

+1

Also, what is correct? We know that colours don't really exist for the objects. They exist only for as much objects reflect a light source.
Light sources can be different, and they can also change in nature.
If we take the sunlight as "metering source", we limit the range of possibilities, but not by absolute terms. The sunlight at noon is different from the sunlight at dawn or at sundown.
If we decide that 5200 K (approx. sunlight value at noon) is our reference value, then we can act in two ways:

A- keep the 5200 K value all the time in the camera, and let the photos record the change in hues as the camera perceives it (which is not the same way as we perceive it, because our brains does balance the white a bit, but somehow similar)

B- constantly change the K value of the camera in order to approximate, at other times of the day, the same type of hue that you would have at noon.
This is the principle of white balancing, and it can produce results that are correct to the premise (make colours equal to sunlight at noon), but feel wrong to the human eye, because they do not correspond to what we perceive as humans, because our brain does balance the white also, but not as strongly as a camera white balance. The last two photos in the series are a good example of that feeling unnatural.

My way of doing is close to A : I keep 5200K value in the camera and use it for most of the day, except adjusting it a bit at dawn or sunset, to make it feel closer to the way our brain works.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also inclined to say there is no right or wrong blue moment color. Add to this the climate difference in Finland between summer and winter, and you have two different "blue moments" anyway (well, actually four, one for each season).

I like to think that photography isn't about a set or rules or standards, it's a medium for conveying feelings. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say - and the photographer is his worst judge :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't calibrate on site for this because it will turn your blue moment grey.

Perhaps it is better to think about this in terms of film rather than digital. If you were shooting film you would get your "blue moment" from a daylight WB recording medium, so if you want to replicate what people used to do with film then you need to use Orio's first method and set the WB for normal daylight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly agree with Orio's post above. I, too, prefer to approximate the “daylight balanced film” by erring towards 5200-5500K when in doubt, instead of trying to match the greys.

However, you could also combine multiple WB settings into the same photo. For example, the car probably appears quite white (not blue) in reality despite the blue moment, because you “know” that it's white, so you could blend the lower part from the 6500K with the sky from the 4500K.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the examples I would go somewhere between 5000 and 7000 although having not experienced the scene it's hard to know how blue it felt.

I shoot on AWB and when processing nearly always change the white balance but make sure to start doing this when the light is fresh in my mind. It is often initially quite out though. Orio's method sounds interesting though and I shall try it and agree that the WB of a scene is subjective. Emotional state changes things like sunlight feeling particularly vivid or coloured and it may be necessary to reflect this in the photo by not going entirely for accuracy.