Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Halina 35X
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Halina 35X Reply with quote

Kuribayashi, the brand that later on turned to be Petri, did manufacture many excelent cameras.
I keep some, among them the Halina 35X.
It doesn't sport a rangefinder. The shutter is loaded by hand, aside from the film advance.
Small and cute camera:

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these for my son when he was about seven and wanted a "real camera". It's built like a tank - maybe a T34, no frills at all. But like the T34 it does the business.

The lens on the one we had was uncoated and tended to flare, but on a dull day it did quite well! We got lots of dull days where we lived Very Happy . Seeing this one has brought back some happy memories.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera, I have it too!

However, I think you got your facts wrong. The Halina was made by the W. Haking Enterprises Ltd., based in Hong Kong. From this brand I also had the Halina Paulette. Nothing to write home about, but still fun. I had the Paulette converted to a pinhole camera at the end of its life. Smile

I'm not sure where you got the Kuribayashi connection from?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherited one of these from my grandfather. Based on the original box and manual, there is no mention of Kuribayashi. It just says “Haking's Camera - A Camera for Good Photography” on the box. The bottom of the camera also says “Made in Hong Kong”, while Petri was Japanese.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a tough gear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments!

Maybe I'm wrong, let me check my info source.
Maybe I'm confusing the Halina with a different brand...
Or maybe the logo is confusing me. I would bet that both logos were the same... But it might well be that someone did stick one brand logo to the other camera.

My other "real" Kuribayashi are the folder 6x45 and the two Petri 7s.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one as my first 35mm camera after using a Kodak Instamatic for a year or two, back in the mid-60s. Dead solid and reliable and the lens was certainly ok for the majority of shots I used it for.
I've been eyeing them up for old-time's sake and might get one sometime. They're cheap as chips on ebay, about a fiver or tenner, except for one greedy seller who shouted RARE! L@@K! and wanted 50quid Smile
Haking was the maker and sold thousands of them in the UK market.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these, complete with its box and lens hood. I think it's a bit seized up but that's ok because I haven't used film since I was at college, I just have it on a bookcase as an ornament, I think it's a very pretty little thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a looker. I'd like to see some samples from it though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Martin, let's see some pix! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice little camera, albeit heavy for its size. The sample I owned last year before selling it was marked "made in Hong Kong" (not "Empire made" as I think earlier ones were). The triplet lens had single coated front and rear elements, the middle element was left uncoated.

The main problem my sample had was very yucky grease (more at home in a tank than a camera) that made focussing VERY stiff. Fortunately it was easy to disassemble the lens/shutter and re-lube it (use care when un/re-screwing the front plate which is made from bakelite, one could easily ruin the threads). The second issue it had was a very flimsy latch for the back which would easily open if not left in its "never ready" case.

K36/A36 push/slip on accessories will fit.

But indeed a fun shooter, producing cool vignetting and all Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong!!!

It's not really Kuribayashi as Spotmatic properly pointed out.
I was confused by the logos, that are extremely similar. It happens from time to time: similar logos to attract sales from confused customers...

Apologies for the mistake.

Regards,
Jes.