Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji GW670iii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Fuji GW670iii Reply with quote

I traded my Rolleiflex 3.5Planar for this camera. In a way I regret it as I miss the Rollei so much that I'm looking for one to replace it.
The Fuji is no slouch. Just the opposite. The EBC f3.5/90mm is crispy sharp and has nice Bokey as well.
The Camera is a Rangefinder and a very easy one to focus at that. There is no meter, the shutter is mechanical as is the advance.
It's a big camera but not heavy for what it is. The 67 negs and trans are fantastic with this lens.
Here are a mix of clicks that I have posted elsewhere but not here. Some color and B+W. These are all simple snaps but give you some idea of the Rendering character.
BTW these scans are quite poor. My negs in every case are not flat as I don't have the ANRG carriers yet. The stock V700/750 carriers are a joke.

a bit underexposed but what would a set be without Hugo?... Not mine that's what Very Happy

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!! Long time ago on my wish list Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results!
#4 is a masterpiece. It feels timeless. Have you considered a grayscale conversion.
I see that a Mediterranean grass has invaded your environment Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images! My fav is #3. This picture shouts "medium format". Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys
Yes #4 has been very well accepted. The last three were from yesterday. A very heavy dark day.
I had to shoot always wide open to get fast enough shutter speeds to handhold.
Nothing special but it was something to do Smile
No greyscale yet Orio. I think I should make a proper scan first.
Here it is too flat.

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that's good photography, and there simply isn't anything that can touch a good mf camera for it. I love the colors, I love the separation of subject, I love the perspective!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1,3 and 4 are the best pictures of this series....
Excellent camera, excellent lens and excellent photographer too Cool

And I hope that little photographer growe up well Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these photos and the way the depth of field is so well controlled. There's a proper separation that you just don't get on a DSLR, definitely not a crop one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, Andy, my fave is your dog. Wink Love the tones and clarity
in the BW photos, too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Andy, I can understand why you miss your Rolleiflex (I developed no-doubt similar feelings of loss when I sold mine), but as you have amply demonstrated, this Fuji is certainly no slouch. The old twin-lenses are cool cameras, but I'll wager that Fuji rangefinder is a much faster camera to use. Not having to deal with looking down at a reversed image and all.

That Fuji's delivering a goodly amount of separation for a nice 3D effect. Sort of unexpected to see this with a Super-Wide.

Which reminds me -- I have a question -- according to my records, which may be in error, the GSW has a 65mm lens and the GW has a 90mm lens. Can you comment on this? Also, I'm curious more than anything else, but do you happen to know what the differences are between the I, II, and III models?

I've always liked these cameras, but they've always been just a bit too expensive for me to want to jump in and buy one. Cheaper than a Plaubel Makina, though. Really like the BIG rangefinder concept.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Micheal thanks for pointing out my typo. This is the GW670iii in this post. I don't have samples from the GSW yet but it's on my mind Wink

The difference between the 3 versions I bet I know who does. Maybe he will show up.
I've always wanted to own a Plaubel as well. such a cool little camera. The Fuji is quite large and has a clunky form factor and finish.

Two from today. Tmax400 and r25 filter. The one of Hugo I actually like.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! that's a dream cam, beautiful rendering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, these are very nice images. After viewing I found and read a report about your cam within the Internet named "The little giant" and i think the topic is very well chosen.

I´m looking for a longer time for a 6x7 Fuji cam but unfortunately they are very expensive here. Seems that there is a special fan club of these typ of cam paying every price.

Thanks for sharing.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Poilu and Rolf for the comments.

Rolf the cameras can be expensive but not always. The fact is I will be selling this 67 shortly as I have the 69 version soon here.
If you are interested send me a note. I'm thinking around $500 which is a below normal ebay but a right price for this camera through KEH or Adorama used.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done Andy. Impressive results!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Thanks again Poilu and Rolf for the comments.

Rolf the cameras can be expensive but not always. The fact is I will be selling this 67 shortly as I have the 69 version soon here.
If you are interested send me a note. I'm thinking around $500 which is a below normal ebay but a right price for this camera through KEH or Adorama used.

Thanks for your kind offer Andy. I will think about this.

Have a nice weekend
Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shots do that camera justice, Andy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf i posted a link in the clubhouse for some great deals on more of these fujis.
If you need a US relay you know who to ak Wink

I don't see a reason to stop posting here. I'm doing a set on the town of Lyons Colorado. Here are a few from today.
I have another week here and shoot a roll per day. I hope to get 10-12 good frames to wet print and put up on a wall together down here in town.
Just everyday scenes nothing special and at the same time quite special as this place is Smile
Why does flikr darken everything?

With some cropping and multi-grading this print will be very interesting LARGE

Here I chose to shoot WO. Did not want hexagon sunrays. I sure wish for better DOF I cropped some nice line from the bottom that was too soft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are spectacular! I really like what this camera does for color. And of course what you do for the subjects. I've always been interested in trying the 6x9 but I can't yet rationalize the purchase (though my brain is working on it). My favorite is your dog. I think the character of the lens shines through on this one. It must be getting pretty close the the minimum focus distance though, right?

I always thought the anecdote cited on wikipedia was worth note: "The emphasis on reliability was determined by the unusual market for the cameras. As noted in the article on the G690 and the other interchangeable-lens models, the major use of these cameras was in the thriving if unglamorous business of photographing tour groups. Buses would disgorge their passengers at such places as the 1970 Osaka Expo, group photographs would be taken, and the prints could be ready later the same day. Mr Nakanishi (仲西史則), in charge of this work in one company, has recalled that one camera might go through 50 or 100 rolls of film per day (perhaps short rolls, designed for six 6×6 frames), and over thirty thousand exposures per year."

Looks like you have and will be getting a seriously reliable camera!